• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Subbed vs Dubbed

Subbed or Dubbed

• Subbed

Votes: 88 78.6%
  • Dubbed

Votes: 24 21.4%

• Total voters
I like both. Especially with older series.

Jodie was so cool in the manga. I love all chapters that she appears in and dread every episode where she tries to Engrish.

I'll watch dub if there is one. However, if the sub looks like it was made by a 6-year-old, then I'll just skip the thing entirely.

I'm too lazy to read.

This basically.

I'm too lazy to put forth the attention it takes to both read subtitles (mostly if they're fast) and understand what's going on at the same time. I remember trying to watch the subbed version of Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence and my brain hurt after around thirty minutes. Some dubs are awful, but most of them aren't bad enough for me to prefer the subs. And then there are some dubs that are even better than the subs, but that's not often the case. It's great when it is though (Cowboy Bebop is a good example).

I'm surprised by how many people chose subbed. :0

I prefer dubbed, because I find it hard to read and watch the show at the same time, if that makes sense. :<

I prefer subbed, so much better to see the origianl person's voice :)

I'm too lazy to read.

> too lazy to enjoy the original intention of the whole series.

Really, to be honest. I don't get why they dub or massacre series just because it's animation. Animated series are for all ages.

There are eons of difference between a series about a blue bear and his house and Japanese more mature drama series.

Last edited:
Ya got a point there but I don't think the dialogue is that advanced unless you watch more political 21+ series.
I do have only minor dyslexia, but having to constantly read as well as watch the show is still significantly taxing on my brain. I would have to pause constantly in order to catch up.

I am a person who can quite be obsessive over canonity, trust me, but I just can't do subs.

Subbed always unless I'm watching something with other people. Not everyone reads at the same speed and most of the time the people I watch with aren't use to subs.

Dubbed because I don't speak Japanese, and I can't read English.

I can actually only read Finnish.

Depends on the anime. DBZ for example, when I watch that, it HAS to be Dubbed. I can't stand Goku's Japanese VA, the dude is in his late mid 20s-early 40s in Z and his voice should correspond with his age, not sound like a 10 year old. I don't care about the whole "Goku's innocence is why he sounds like that." To me it is a bit weird that a big muscular man sounds like a kid.

Any anime that I started out watching in English (with the exception of Naruto because the Jap VAs are better) I will finish in English.

Anything else though I'll watch in it's original language

Last edited:
Back