• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Flicker & Fortune

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mairmalade

mar 🐳
Staff
Bells
Island
Wisteria
Galaxy Easter Egg
Frost Easter Egg
Nightmare Easter Egg
Perfect Apple
Perfect Cherry
Perfect Peach
Perfect Pear
Durian
Lemon
Lychee
Flicker Fortune banner.png

The Lunar New Year is filled with dazzling light and color across the starry sky. Everyone has gathered to celebrate ancient traditions and honor the Year of the Dragon.

The excitement is clear throughout the festival grounds, filled with family and laughter. As you take in the sights around you, they beckon your lens to capture their unique charms and bring the legends and good fortune to life.​

Your Task 📷

Using Animal Crossing: New Horizons, take a screenshot in-game themed around the Lunar New Year/Year of the Dragon (e.g., good fortune, power, good luck,) AND include a short description of 2-3 sentences to explain your photo (e.g., what it is, why you chose to capture what you did, your inspiration for it, etc.).

How To Submit 📷

Once you're happy with what you've captured, post the following within this thread by Saturday, February 24, 2024, at 11:59 PM EST.
  • TWO screenshots (one of your desired screenshot, and the other of your player character in the same screenshot saying your TBT username)
  • A short description (2-3 sentences) to describe your photo
Please do not submit additional screenshots beyond the two required.

Rules 📷

• All entries must be original. No copying from someone else or submitting something you found elsewhere
  • Entries should have a clear theme surrounding the Lunar New Year/Year of the Dragon
  • A reasonable amount of effort should be put into your submission. Low-effort entries or joke entries will not be accepted
  • Your entry must be suitable for a PG-13 audience and not violate our Rules and Guidelines
  • Your entry must contain only two screenshots: the screenshot itself and one of your player character saying your TBT username in the same screenshot
  • Only one entry per person
  • Please do not edit your submission once posted
  • Please only include a short description of your screenshot (2-3 sentences)
Rewards 📷

Participation:
  • One Dragon Token
Staff Favorites:
  • 365.gif
    Animated Shooting Star collectible
Frequently Asked Questions 📷

Q: Can I Use In-Game Photo Filters and Frames?
A:
Yes, you may.

Q: What’s the Word Limit for the Description?
A:
Aim to keep your descriptions relatively short. They should only be 2-3 sentences, not multiple paragraphs.

Q: May player characters, villagers, or NPCs be in the screenshots?
A:
Yes.

Q: Can I use items from the Happy Home Paradise DLC?
A:
Yes, you may. This includes the use of additional functions such as accent walls and polishing effects.

Q: Can I Use Custom Designs Created by Other People?
A:
Of course!

Q: Can I Exclude My Player Character From the Scene?
A:
Yes; however, they must still be in your second screenshot saying your TBT username.

Q: I Can’t Upload Screenshots. Can I Submit Photos of My Switch Screen Instead?
A:
You may, but please ensure the photos are clear. Otherwise, you may be asked to resubmit.

Q: Can I Use a Custom Design That Says My TBT Username Instead of Showing My Character Saying It?
A:
Yes, this would be fine!

Q: I Captured a Villager on My Island and They Weren’t in the Same Pose When I Went To Say My TBT Username. Is That OK?
A:
Minor differences between your two screenshots are OK. As long as it's clear it's yours.

Q: Can I Use a Character That’s Not My Island Rep?
A:
That's fine.

Last edited:
Before the Year of the Dragon and the moon's first light, one must perform the ritual to become the auspicious being known as Dragon Boy. Luck must be one's side and I am willing to be up for the task. Am I lucky enough?
20240209_124112_2341.jpg

20240209_124112_2598.jpg

Since 2024 is the year of the wood dragon, I tried to incorporate trees and nature into the design. I also tried to incorporate the dragon's lucky colors (yellow, gold, green, silver, and grayish white according to what I could find) along with red and their lucky flowers (hyacinths).
3uDWL5p.png

FD7Fgxg.jpeg

FlickerandFortuneScreenshot9.jpg

Drago is visiting Avalar for the Lunar New Year Festival to celebrate the year of the dragon with lots of lucky foods. He shared with us how each food garnered its fortuitous status. Many are considered lucky due to their Chinese name's pronunciation, while others owe their prosperous reputation to the dish's physical appearance.
- Whole Crucian Carp:
In Chinese, the word for "fish" (鱼 / yoo) sounds similar to the word for "surplus" (剩餘 / shèng-yoo), and the first character of "crucian carp" (鲫鱼 / jee-yoo) sounds like the Chinese word (吉 / jee) meaning "good luck". As such, eating crucian carp is considered to bring abundance of good luck.
- Dumplings:
Shaped like Chinese silver ingots, eating these is said to bring wealth.
- Nian Gao:
These rice cakes use the same pronunciation as the Chinese word for "tall" (高 / gāo). They represent going “higher” in life, eating these is said to help one reach higher positions, and surpass goals.
- Tāngyuán:
Tangyuan are sweet rice cake balls served in syrup they represent family, and are associated with reunions and togetherness.
- Longevity Noodles:
Extra long noodles to represent the long length of the consumer's life, to bring happiness and longevity.
- Shrimp:
The Chinese word for shrimp, (虾 / xiā/ 'ha') sounds like a laugh, so shrimp are used to represent happiness and liveliness.
- Oranges:
In Chinese, the word for orange (橙 / chéng), sounds like 'success' (成功 / chénggōng), they are said to bring good luck.

Hope my description isn't too long, I tried to keep it as short as possible, I learned a lot about why these foods were considered "lucky" and thought it was really interesting, so I wanted to share!

FlickerandFortuneUsername.jpg

In the year of the wood dragon, I wanted to create a peaceful spot to observe the plum blossoms that herald the coming of spring and welcome the new year. Here you can enjoy a bowl of longevity noodles to ensure a healthy and prosperous life.

IMG_7436.jpeg

IMG_7435.jpeg

I recreated my home's kitchen and dining area, where my roommates, friends, and I will be celebrating the lunar new year with steamed dumplings, tomato egg (thank you acnh for having tomato egg lol), fried rice, and stir-fried veggies!
1000016830.jpg

We're mostly celebrating with Chinese food this year since that's our common favorite, but we come from different backgrounds and cultures. After dinner, we're gonna go watch some movies so I'm excited about that.

1000016831.jpg

My PoPo always brings us oranges and red envelopes on Chinese New Year to wish us good luck and good fortune! I used different bamboo, harmonious, and Asian-themed items in this design to make it personal and stylish. It was really fun picking out what I wanted to do and I hopefully captured the spirit of Lunar New Year and how much it means to me! 💖
2024021011202800_s.jpg

2024021011210100_s.jpg
Side Note: I am absolutely IN LOVE with this whole event! I am so thankful that they are doing something for the Lunar New Year! ALL OF YOUR DESIGNS HAVE BEEN ICONIC so far!! Everyone always does so good and I love how these events bring the community together!! Thank you so much everyone!! 🏮🧧

Flicker and Fortune.JPG

I'm enjoying the fireworks with my friends at the Lunar New Year celebration on Lostglade! I also made sure to wear some brand-new red clothes for good luck and prosperity.

Flicker and Fortune proof.JPG

Lantern pattern:
flicker and fortune lantern.JPG

Dragon fireworks:
flicker and fortune dragon1.JPG

flicker and fortune dragon2.JPG

flicker and fortune dragon 3.JPG

✨🍀🐲2024🐲🍀✨
The Year of the DRAGO(n)!!!
Sweet Drago woke up from a long winter siesta just so he could find his own way to celebrate the year of him! He decided to throw himself a little party! He eventually sent me an invite, lol!

(Oops, my first one was the wrong format to upload images. This one is correct.)​

IMG_3373.JPG

A Lunar New Year celebration, featuring food cooked over a traditional wood fire, and beautiful fireworks! I included some other animals in the background, such as the tiger and turtle. The year of the dragon will surely be a lucky year!

*Note: The designs used in the photo aren't mine, but I didn't save who I got the from. Just retrieved from the kiosk.

IMG_3375.JPG

GGAaVk5bUAAjNd4.jpeg

The Luna New Year is underway for the residents of Tropicako. This year's celebration is all about the dragon. Everyone dressed from head to toe in red to symbolize prosperity while enjoying food and festivities under a beautiful fireworks show.

GGAaVkvaIAA7Wcm.jpeg

Wish I had more furniture to work with, but my idea here is me, Sherb, and Peoko praying for our good health and fortunes
8F8B60AA-74F9-40C0-99DC-D64BDC704C6F.jpeg

3ACD9DC1-C396-4D7E-AB32-48C18AE6D0DD.jpeg

Attachments

• 7261D460-8D06-4425-9A34-929A5626ACC2.jpeg
    7261D460-8D06-4425-9A34-929A5626ACC2.jpeg
    241.7 KB · Views: 10
Welcome to my Lunar New Year secret market. It takes place atop a rooftop balcony, so that you get a full view of the fireworks all around. It's a small space, but packed full of delicious food and festivities. I am wearing a traditional Vietnamese ao dai.

LNY.jpg

LNY2.jpg

IMG_3167.jpeg

During Lunar New Year, the streets surrounding Resident Services are adorned with Festival Lanterns. The villagers gather to watch the fireworks show, which contains special Drago fireworks to celebrate the Year of the Dragon. Looks like in their haste to make it it to the show, some unlucky islander dropped their Red Envelope!

Note: found custom designs by searching the design portal
IMG_3168.jpeg

Screenshot: Lunar New Year 2000, the year of the metal dragon.
1707622785419.png
Story: Even a blind monk on the highest mountain in Vietnam knows it's Lunar New Year without a clock because of the sheer NOISE. There's black cat fireworks and lion dances and my favorite nostalgic sound: the dice jingling in the bowl of a classic lunar new year game Bầu cua cá cọp. I have such fond memories gambling playing this game at the kids' table while the aunties gossiped at the grown-up table.

1707622817214.png

Sorry for the phone photos instead of actual screenshots; my Switch stopped saving photos for some reason--
I have no idea why it stopped when I still have plenty of SD card space. I wonder if it's because I changed my date/time to the year 2000. Y2K bug!

The Year Of The Dragon

3A352E30-067E-4300-8B05-4652CB8DA73C.png

As the resident representative of Cosa Bella Island I have gathered everyone to celebrate the year of the dragon.
The dragon is a symbol of power so while we ate a delicious feast we all discussed what we hoped for the new year.

BAEF0380-CC3D-4940-817E-A9364A1C544E.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back