• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

North Pole Ornament Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.
1000006846.jpg

Please accept my humble star 😅 The holiday season is the busiest time for my work and my brain turns to mush, so I opted for participation credit lmao.

1000006843.jpg

image0.jpg

kq4YY9A.gif
WALKING IN A WINTER WONDERLAND
kq4YY9A.gif

this little "gingerbread" house is held together with copious amounts of hot glue, silicone sealant and my tears there were many moments during making it where i thought it'd just completely collapse in on itself but it's still standing! i rolled out and cut the air dry clay in sections to create the walls and roof of the gingerbread house. i then mixed my paints to make it a shade of gingerbread brown. when putting it together i ran into the issue of the hot glue not wanting to bind itself to the dried clay..... but using lots of layers and being quick helped get everything stable enough to start piping on the silicone sealant! the stuff stunk but it really looked like cake frosting! it helped keep everything stuck together but i did go in with another round of hot glue on the connecting areas. after that, it was all about decorating! i later on melted some sugar water with a bit of food colouring to make the windows!​

jWfvaXK.gif

image0.jpg
IMG_2748.jpg

MATERIALS USED
kq4YY9A.gif
air dry clay
kq4YY9A.gif
acrylic paint
kq4YY9A.gif
hot glue
kq4YY9A.gif
pom poms
kq4YY9A.gif
button stickers
kq4YY9A.gif
silicone sealant
kq4YY9A.gif
piping bag
kq4YY9A.gif
twine + a yarn needle to thread
kq4YY9A.gif
various string lights
kq4YY9A.gif
tea lights
kq4YY9A.gif
boiled sugar w/ food colouring

PROCESS PHOTOS
IMG_2740.jpg
IMG_2741.jpg
IMG_2742.jpg

image0.jpg

better shot of the tie holding it!​

Here is my ornament! It's Jingle at the North Pole 😊

unnamed.jpg

unnamed (1).jpg
I made the base out of cardboard by making a box and wrapping it with tape. I then wrapped the top in white paper to represent snow and the bottom with blue paper. I then drew Jingle and added some glitter to his eyes and antlers. I glued him to some cardboard, stuck 2 toothpicks in the cardboard, and stuck him to the base. I then cut out some pine trees with green paper, taped a toothpick to the back of them, and then stuck them in the base. Finally, I made a small "North Pole" out of some leftover cardboard, stuck a toothpick in it, and added it to the box.
To get it to hang, I stuck 2 toothpicks in each side of the box, cut some string, and strung them together. This thing was a pain to make, but I think it looks cute lol

Mub0Pfv.jpg

When you can’t decide between an angel or a star to put on your tree, so you choose both. 😇🌟

xfwMfQs.jpg

(Uncharged version with better lighting to show texture)
iB0ISq9.jpg

I wanted to try something different on this one. In an attempt to mimic the flocked look the furry animals in New Horizons have, I used a kind of polymer clay that has a bunch of tiny fibers in it for Ione's head and limbs, and mixed in some silver mica powder giving her a subtle sparkle. Additionally, I used a glow-in-the-dark clay for her star, and mixed in some blue clay for her paws, and the insides of her ears.
0It2E9L.jpg

I sculpted her body and used a Cinnamoroll mold I got from Daiso to make her star.
V8ZqkEH.jpg

2UPBzw6.jpg

To give her a bit of a metallic sheen, I rubbed in some silver mica powder on her star, and blue on her tail and ears before baking.
24mpPpW.jpg

Is it getting hot in here?
TJZvGMA.jpg

Painted on her bangs, I actually added some blue mica powder to the yellow paint to make the greenish streaks, it was a difficult color to match, but I'm happy with how it came out!
u6MKaD2.jpg

Painted some very light blue spots on her tail and then added glow-in-the-dark paint over them. I found this string left behind on my tree from another ornament, and decided to put it to good use.
B9FuKAp.jpg

Painted her face, and added a few layers of matte varnish over her bangs, eyes, nose, and mouth to smooth things out, and used some silver nail polish and blue acrylic to paint her Astro dress.

8dGEpL9.jpg

Et voilà! She is complete!

k2waAKT.png

Here is my entry! A stained glass Christmas Tree. 😁🌲 I recently started working with stained glass as an art medium. So so so much fun. I saw this arts and crafts event and thought that would be a perfect medium.

Ps. Name tag is in the bag, just out of focus---

CH2Bp7F.png

AEogFBq.png

I used 3 colors of glass, my cutters, pliers, copper foil, solder, soldering iron, glass sander, polish, and a chain necklace for the hanging bit

HXpAEIq.png

y7kkk78.gif

HePMmQI.png

I absolutely knew what I was going to do as soon as I saw this event!!! This fat boy was made with felt that I pain stinkingly cut up (all the white trim ughhhh 😂😂😂) Which probably would not have been as hard had I still had my good scissors but my dog chewed off the handles of my good scissors when I was at work when night, and no one in my house was paying attention…. Sighhhhh

(Yes, I had planned to do the set, but my hands were so numb after all my projects)

For my ornament I made a little winter scene of an ice fishing snowboy and his igloo.
IMG_20231221_093920_(1280_x_1680_pixel).jpg

IMG_20231221_093758_(1280_x_1680_pixel).jpg

I made the base out of cardboard, the igloo is made out of a cut up craft Easter egg that I covered with pompoms, the "hook" is pipecleaner with red embroidery floss wrapped around. I also used hot glue (not pictured) to do the blue glitter in the frozen lake.

Kind staff, I promise you that I put real effort into this ugly ornament. I glued myself to things. I struggled. I devised a dual-tie ornament suspension device. I’m sorry I still have the art skills of a basset hound (no thumbs).

Behold: an alien snowflake, complete with curly little tongue, suspended within the maw of a sentient alien holiday wreath. I don’t know why this seemed like the thing to make with the limited supplies at my disposal.

IMG_0243.jpeg

The lighting in this room was so bad. I promise, cross my heart, that if you zoom in on any of my photos you will see my username on the card. It looked perfectly clear to me!

Supplies, progress photos, and close-up image below:

IMG_0242.jpeg

IMG_0247.jpeg

IMG_0245.jpeg

IMG_0248.jpeg

IMG_8271.jpg

Santa Roald is coming to town! 🎅
Wonky and embedded with dust and dog fur, but I still think he's cute 😊
It was my first time baking clay and I was afraid it would cause my kitchen to explode somehow 😭

Made from polymer clay and black & white acrylic paint pens. Decided to use the paint after giving up on making the eyes from clay, so it's in a separate picture. Also didn't end up using the black and green clay.
IMG_8262.jpg

IMG_8263.jpg
IMG_8283.jpg

Snow bunny family watching the northern lights

VFe6h5j.jpg

2q5XlNp.jpg
Materials used:
- epoxy resin
- sea glass
- acrylic paint
- superglue
- paint brushes, sponge
- tweezers to adjust glass
- tiny scissors to cut resin snowflake into shape
JoA7VZG.jpg
process​
I poured some resin on clingfilm and carefully put the sea glass in position with the tweezers. This took three tries to get right because I don't have any resin molds ;u; the resin had to dry for a day and a half.
VlBJnmI.jpg
For the snowflake spikes I poured another large resin puddle, let it harden and then individually cut out each spike with tiny scissors. I dabbed some white acrylic paint on the points for a frosted look :>
1yQbJDk.jpg
name tag version

A HOUSE OF THE PINES

IMG_2598.jpeg

When I think of winter and Christmas time, I think of a warm, cozy house nestled in feet of snow and a forest of pine trees. A place I never want to leave, especially while nestled in feet of snow.

I made this with cardboard, copious amounts of hot glue sticks, felt, pine cones, toothpicks, white paint, and unwrapped cotton balls, cracked peppercorn on hot glue for the pathway, and twine for the hook. The mail box is made of felt and toothpicks.
IMG_2552.jpeg

I cut a hole in the base, because there is a flap on the bottom of the house, in case I ever want to put an electric tea light in it.
IMG_2612.jpeg

To light the house, I cut two holes in the back, one in the attic and one in the main floor, and put Christmas tree lights in them.
IMG_2614.jpeg

IMG_2591.jpeg

IMG_2601.jpeg

IMG_2595.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back