• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

How good are you with money?

How good are you with money?

• Pretty good.

Votes: 34 42.5%
  • Iā€™m okay with it, but trying to get better.

Votes: 32 40.0%
  • Not very good.

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • Bad, lol. I wish I was better with money.

Votes: 8 10.0%

• Total voters
I've always been good with money. I only spend when I need to once my monthly bills have been paid. Plus I'm just not one to go on a huge spending spree on anything these days. Instead I like to save as much as I can (within reason, I'm not a cheapskate šŸ˜‚) and really indulge every now and then whether thats on clothing or a weekend away somewhere.

I have absolutely no concept of saving money or budgeting. Growing up I constantly asked my parents for things. Unless we were really tight financially they usually said yes. During my teen years I blew away my $20 allowance within a few days. Donā€™t even get me started on paychecks. During both of my previous jobs I spent all of my money in less than a week. Now that Iā€™m a broke college student in an expensive city Iā€™m not able to spend like I used to. If I want something I either have to wait until the first of the month or wait until certain holidays. Itā€™s the wake up call I desperately needed, thatā€™s for sure.

I used to be extremely bad with money, I would always spend more than I earn and buy unnecessary things just to buy something. The past few months I've been working on setting a budget for each month to try and spend less money. I've started saving a lot since then. Whenever I'm at a store if I want something I really think about whether or not I would actually use what I'm holding, not just oh it's cute or I want it, if its a clothing/accessory piece then I would picture myself wearing it and if I don't think I would, I put it away. If it's a keychain, toy, or another item I think about how I would use it and if it would be used at least once a week, if not, then I put it back.

Recently I read the book by Geirge Clason called "The Richest Man in Babylon" and there was said to invest 10% of your monthly salary. It turned out that only 10% is more than enough :) so after this revelation I started to actively keep a google spreadsheet to understand how much I earn and spend. One of the best habits so far :)
yah for sure. i actually started to spend *more* after i started budgeting because i could see how much money I actually had and it made me less guilty about buying things that made me happy lol. for me i already have my IRA maxxed out for last year (will max it out this year but after I graduate & start at my new job it'll be easier). tho rn since I'm graduating soon I'm cutting back on spending so I have enough money to afford a new bed/desk/chairs and I'm not eating on the floor until I get my first few paychecks LOL.

as for investments I don't have a ton in the market, but that's *mostly* bc i'm graduating and going to likely be moving far for my first job quite soon so having a lump sum makes things sooo much easier

im terrible with money šŸ˜Œ I've never had any issues paying bills and they've always been paid on time, but I have no concept of savings.

i used to be pretty bad with money and would always want to spend whatever amount i had as soon as possible, but iā€™ve gotten a lot better since the pandemic started. iā€™ve definitely still made some ā€˜badā€™ and unnecessary purchases in the past two years, but since i havenā€™t gone out much and donā€™t really like online shopping, i havenā€™t had much opportunity or desire to spend my money, so iā€™ve managed to save up a bit.

These days pretty good I'd say. I mean sure if I find something I really want I get it, even though yeah I do spend on eg. Johnny's Entertainment merch and kawaii stuff (the latter I try to buy useful stuff like hairties, slippers etc and not just a bunch of plushies). I used to be rather bad before cause I was rather spoiled as a kid but now when I had jobs and I have to help paying stuff at my mom's I try to budget better. And I'm careful with eating lunch, I try to make my own lunchboxes rather than eating out everyday that some do; good for them if they don't have 237 other things they have to think about? Lol.

I've always been anxious about spending money (even as a kid even though my family was fine financially I was just born anxious ig and picked up on my parents' habits of being cautious) and am very hesitant to spend money/always looking on how to save. I try to buy whatever I can second-hand, I almost never impulse shop (with clothing for example I have an idea of what exactly I'm looking for when I go shopping and just stick to that), typically don't eat out by myself, tend not to buy new models of things and don't buy much for entertainment etc. I feel better knowing that I'm saving money. Even if it's just a dollar I put everything I spend into my budget app.

I remember noticing at my old job where I knew for a fact that we all made the same salary (gov ALT job) basically every one else, including those who had gone to really expensive colleges and said how much debt they had, were much more comfortable and quick to spend money than I was. I don't want this to sound like I'm looking down on them just an observation.

But, recently I've been starting to loosen up a bit so now I have to get used to watching how much I spend. I'm still able to enjoy myself while saving money and I feel more comfortable because of it. Although I am now better with not picking up small knick-knacks etc. because I try to focus on "minimalism" (closest word I can think of) in my house and try to buy things that are multi-purposed.

Last edited:
I have never been good with money. The day I get paid (every two weeks btw), it's gone before the weekend is over. And I get paid every other Friday. I wish I was good with saving, or that I was a lot more frugal with my spending habits... But I'm just not :<

I'm not terrible with money, but I wouldn't say I'm great with it either. I put close to 40% of my pay into savings and an emergency fund account, so I guess that's a pretty good start. My expenses are always covered on time. I never pay off anything (except for student loans ofc lol), I always make sure I have money to pay for expensive purchases before I make said purchase. I don't even have a credit card lol. I think I over-spend on things like food since I see how much disposable income I have and I just want to treat myself constantly lol.

I'm pretty good with my money. I've never had it come easy to me since I've always had to work hard for everything I've earned. So I normally don't buy anything trivial and I often do a lot of research before impulse buying something. Lately I have been spending a bit more money than I normally do to upgrade things I've had, to help with better quality of life, as well as my health.

Like me from a few years ago would keep using the same shoes over and over, even though they'd desperately need to be replaced. Sometimes it's better to invest in a new pair even if it costs money cause in the long run you're just going to end up hurting your feet/legs/back with worn out shoes.

Saving is good, but not at the expense of your health. My grandmother would horde food due to her upbringing. And food has an expiration. You're going to end up hurting yourself more in the long run eating bad food. Or my parents would drive forever to find the cheapest gas price, but how much gas did they burn up doing that? How much do you really save doing that?

I'm alright-ish. I have the luxury of not having to pay mountains of money in bills, yet (dont get it twisted I do pay some bills I'm not free-loading) so I have money to spend. I wait on spending alot of money at once on one item, like a new Switch, furniture for my room or a new TV, some items that I don't need. I got the TV I have now cause it had a Black Friday deal on it. I do spend my money a little loosely thou, like buy things spur of the moment cause I think they are nice and I could use them. It's usually crafting stuff.

i think i'm ok. some months i won't spend money on anything except the absolute bare necessities. other's i'll spend more impulsively. it balances out.

Pretty bad, as a kiddo I would spend my money on candy the first chance I get. XD I'm trying to get better though, and I'm actually saving up for something. It's not a car, a house, a video game, or a student debt too expensive even for Tom Nook. But I honestly think that Dog Man books are a hell of a lot more worth it than a few packs of Skittles. ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

I save most of my money, but my current living arrangements let me be a lot more lenient with it so sometimes I overspend on luxury items. Not to be envied though because my job is pretty mediocre pay so I can't really afford my own house let alone an apartment.

If I have money, I'll put some into savings, spend the rest. I love shopping for myself and others. But I dont spend money I dont have either. No maxed out credit cards or anything. I have a card I use for groceries, just to continue building up good credit, but it's always paid off at the end of the month

I think I'm alright with money. I'm a self-described cheapskate, so I'm learning how to spend money intentionally to improve my quality of life without feeling guilty. šŸ˜…

I've been reading The Psychology of Money. So far, it's been an interesting read and has gotten me to reflect on some of my beliefs about money.

I am very good at saving money Normally because I like buying cheap stuff for example I like to buy from my local secondhand store I also try to find the cheapest place to buy food when It comes to buying cars I buy a cheap and reliable car like my 1995 Lumina LS i had that car for 6 years and had almost no problems with it and I still own it today and It has become one of my favorite cars to buy because it is cheap and reliable

Back