• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Are you sensitive to the ticking of clocks?

Are you sensitive to the ticking of clocks?

• Yes

Votes: 10 17.9%
  • No

Votes: 21 37.5%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 23 41.1%
  • Not sure

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters

Aniko

Bells
White Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
Golden Watering Can
White Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
Red Cosmos
White Cosmos
Red Cosmos
White Cosmos
Red Cosmos
My grandparents had a grandfather clock and if I was able to forget it during the days with a lot of people talking at the same time, the night it drove me crazy, I could only focus on the sound and nothing else. I couldn't sleep either. Later, I also had a clock style vintage and I could hear the needles moving so I hide it far in a wardrobe but could still hear it (and I'm partly deaf), I just let it died there.

How about you? Is it something that annoys you?

Last edited:
It depends. Most of the time the sound fades into the background and I don't pick it out. Then other times it is so quiet and suddenly I become aware of the tick tock of the ever moving clock. It doesn't really annoy me too bad I would say!

This is one of my biggest annoyances! When I was younger I had a Teletubbies Desk clock and a Sylvanian Families wall clock. Needless to say they didn't last long with batteries, until they just became decorations! I have 2 wall clocks, one in the living room and one in the kitchen. Both of them are silent sweeping hands. All other clocks I have are digital.

It depends! My parents still have a clown clock that used to be in the children's (my) room when I was little. Now when I visit them I have a hard time falling asleep in the same room as the ticking is pretty loud. So I always end up bringing it to another room. During the daytime I'd say I haven't had any problems with ticking clocks though. I wouldn't really want a ticking clock in my own apartment, though!

Ehh sometimes. It depends on my mood and the sound of the ticking itself. Sometimes it's super annoying and other times it's soothing.

In general I like my environment pretty quiet, so I would have said I pay attention to noises like clocks and really like ticking clocks much. But I went to Europe after graduating college with a few of my good friends. We stayed at one of my friends’ homes on the East Coast on our way over. She warned me that her dad was a collector of clocks. I don’t think I fully comprehended what that meant until I got there lol. Two of us slept in the spare bedroom, and two of us on the couch in the living room with all the clocks. I mean, the room was wall to wall clocks, cuckoo clocks and all sorts of ticking clocks. And I’m sure he tried to wind them so they were set the same…. But there were a lot of them and sometimes they would get off…. So that whole night there was a lot of slightly unsynchronized ticking.
After that experience, I don’t mind clocks much at all lol.

Yes, I can't sleep with a ticking clock. It really affects my anxiety.

I don't think so, no :0 at work im constantly bombarded with alarming machines so i've gotten used to tuning out any repetitive noises/sounds. maybe when everything is quiet do i hear ticking clocks, but it doesn't really bother me that much bc i almost always end up listening to something else instead.

Yes.

Ticking clocks make me irrationally angry. I'm temporarily sharing an office with someone two days a week, and I've already made clear to him he gets custody of the clock when his new room is ready. It irritates me so much.

Back