How much wildlife do you see?

How many wild animals do you see on a regular basis?

• Some

Votes: 20 60.6%
  • Rarely

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • None

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A lot

Votes: 7 21.2%

• Total voters

QueenCobra

Gutted, rotted, Gila monster, BEAST!
Bells
I’m asking this because, while I live in a suburb, I see a lot of different animals. In my yard, I regularly see deer and bunnies, as well as birds and squirrels. Sometimes at night I get possums and raccoons. At the local park I’ve seen muskrats, turtles, mallard ducks, Gadwall ducks, American coots (mud hens), Blue herons, and Canadian geese.

I have seen foxes, voles, and groundhogs in my yard before, but they aren’t regular visitors. I also freaked out the first time I saw a mole above ground. (I thought it was a weird-looking hamster lol.)

I’m also asking this because someone new to my area posted in a local forum that they were new here and weren’t used to seeing rabbits everywhere. So…whether you live in a more urban or rural area, or somewhere in between, sound off on what you see!

There are lots of stray cats in my area and in my backyard, they often wander through. ⚠️🐈 I actually built a little shelter for them there and leave cat food in there them now and then. I can see them from my window. Kinda like owning a part-time pet! 😁

I feel like I see a lot more when I write it down.
Where I am located now...
Groundhogs
Squirrels
Snakes
Rabbits
Hawks
Vultures
Crawfish
Frogs
Toads
Possums
Crows
Ravens
Various American Songbirds
Canadian Geese, they fly over
All from my window/backyard.

Leaving my property and just driving locally you can add Deer, Raccoons, Coyotes, mice/rats-(fall).

Not gonna list a bunch of bugs.... If you want to know the most common/easiest one to find, its stink bugs due to semis and trains toting produce. Stink bugs are super common and plentiful in late spring through the end of fall. They are harmless and only stink if you scare them. But they are scary when they fly.

A relative had a mountain lion that would show up now and then at a place they lived, but that's a little south of where I am. Within 30 mins.

I feel like I see a lot more when I write it down.
Where I am located now...
Groundhogs
Squirrels
Snakes
Rabbits
Hawks
Vultures
Crawfish
Frogs
Toads
Possums
Crows
Ravens
Various American Songbirds
Canadian Geese, they fly over
All from my window/backyard.

Leaving my property and just driving locally you can add Deer, Raccoons, Coyotes, mice/rats-(fall).

Not gonna list a bunch of bugs.... If you want to know the most common/easiest one to find, its stink bugs due to semis and trains toting produce. Stink bugs are super common and plentiful in late spring through the end of fall. They are harmless and only stink if you scare them. But they are scary when they fly.

A relative had a mountain lion that would show up now and then at a place they lived, but that's a little south of where I am. Within 30 mins.
That reminds me, I have also seen vultures eating…things in the street. I’ve also occasionally seen snakes and coyotes. Someone also spotted a live armadillo in their yard, which was oddly adorable.

That reminds me, I have also seen vultures eating…things in the street. I’ve also occasionally seen snakes and coyotes. Someone also spotted a live armadillo in their yard, which was oddly adorable.
When I lived with my mom, Foxes and their Kits were seen often for a while. They got rid of people's cats that they let out..
I haven't seen any where I live now. But they are very cute to watch and I do miss seeing them.
But if they have like an old mound of dirt available that has t been messed with a long time, they'll make tunneling nest in it.

When I lived with my mom, Foxes and their Kits were seen often for a while. They got rid of people's cats that they let out..
I haven't seen any where I live now. But they are very cute to watch and I do miss seeing them.
But if they have like an old mound of dirt available that has t been messed with a long time, they'll make tunneling nest in it.
Usually I see foxes when it’s cold, and the babies are adorable lol. My neighbor loves feeding animals, and got three in her yard once— as well as some ducks!

I usually just see birds, deer, rabbits, groundhogs, and squirrels, ducks and geese if I'm around water. If I'm lucky I get to see raccoons or possums (both are favorites of mine). I don't really see other animals like black bears, foxes, or bob cats. I've only seen them in the wild maybe once. I grew up around farms and now live in the suburbs, so I don't live close enough to the woods to see them, I guess.

I usually just see birds, deer, rabbits, groundhogs, and squirrels, ducks and geese if I'm around water. If I'm lucky I get to see raccoons or possums (both are favorites of mine). I don't really see other animals like black bears, foxes, or bob cats. I've only seen them in the wild maybe once. I grew up around farms and now live in the suburbs, so I don't live close enough to the woods to see them, I guess.
I’ve only seen black bears when I was traveling in the Great Smoky Mountains. I loved seeing them climb the trees, and the cubs rolling in the grass, then following their mamas through the fields. 💕 My grandparents live in a rural area, but the only strange animal I recall seeing was a dead boar on the road. I know wild boar can be scary, BUT I would like to see one in person, just to get an idea.

I have seen a lot of wildlife, most of which you all have mentioned (lots of squirrels, raccoons and oddly turkeys in my vicinity). Depending on what part of the city I travel to there a lot of others including coyotes and deer MUCH larger than where I grew up. My parents live just a 10 minute drive away and see black bears frequently, but I have never seen one since living here. The videos they take show them being surprisingly gentle digging through garbage after tipping over the can. I would love to see one in person.

On a daily or weekly basis? I see some!

On my walks I see a lot of birds obviously but they stand out to me because idk, I guess I'm still not used to Australian birbs. I see tons of magpies, ducks, some ibis, lots of party birds aka rainbow lorikeets, lots of cockatoos. Occasionally I'll see a kookaburra! I've also been seeing a lot of bats because I've been going on walks near/past sunset lately

I've seen a few possum (not to be confused with opossum), they're pretty cute. Also seen a couple blue-tongue lizards, they can get pretty big. Also see a lot of cane toads and the occasional frog. I've seen some wild kangaroo while out driving which is weird because I don't live in the outback but I guess they like to chill in wide open fields sometimes??? And I have seen ONE wild koala also while in the car

Back in the US I have seen foxes, alligators, turkeys, chipmunks, dolphins, deer, swans/geese, frogs, starfish, crabs... lots of cool creatures

I get to see wildlife pretty much on a daily basis! Mostly squirrels and random small birds, but rabbits, hawks, seagulls and Canadian geese (in the spring especially) are also quite common in my neighbourhood! My mom and I leave food out for the wildlife around here on a bi-weekly basis, or sooner/later depending on how quickly the food is gone through!

We actually had a few squirrels that used to climb up to our balcony (we live on the 6th floor!), and we’d leave nuts out for them. They were a big entertainment for Bonk, though sadly we haven’t seen them in well over a year. We have a couple of pigeons now that come and hang out sometimes, and they’re just as entertaining to Bonk!
IMG_0711.jpeg

I also see raccoons and skunks around here sometimes, though not often. They seem to hang around here most during the fall. We also had an owl here once, but I didn’t get to see it myself. My mom just told me about it. I’ve also seen coyotes, groundhogs, possums, wild turkeys, swans, ducks and deer, though they’re definitely the rarest sightings around here!

In my backyard, I've mostly seen birds and lizards (blue tongues, bearded dragons, geckos), though on a few occasions I've seen a possum, and once I heard an owl, though I don't think I ever managed to actually see it. In my front yard, I've see bunnies! They like to sit under the shrubs in the shade. I also see them often in the early mornings when I've been driving down my street.

Other than that, I infrequently, but not uncommonly see kangaroos and possums. Possums in my street, and kangaroos in the fields while driving. 😊💗🦘

On a daily or weekly basis? I see some!

On my walks I see a lot of birds obviously but they stand out to me because idk, I guess I'm still not used to Australian birbs. I see tons of magpies, ducks, some ibis, lots of party birds aka rainbow lorikeets, lots of cockatoos. Occasionally I'll see a kookaburra! I've also been seeing a lot of bats because I've been going on walks near/past sunset lately

I've seen a few possum (not to be confused with opossum), they're pretty cute. Also seen a couple blue-tongue lizards, they can get pretty big. Also see a lot of cane toads and the occasional frog. I've seen some wild kangaroo while out driving which is weird because I don't live in the outback but I guess they like to chill in wide open fields sometimes??? And I have seen ONE wild koala also while in the car

Back in the US I have seen foxes, alligators, turkeys, chipmunks, dolphins, deer, swans/geese, frogs, starfish, crabs... lots of cool creatures
As an American, the idea of seeing wild koalas and kangaroos sounds fascinating! I’ve only seen them at the zoo lol. I love hippos, but I’d be terrified if I saw one in the wild.

we have a lot of black squirrels in my neighborhood. like, a TON. i never saw a black squirrel before moving to my neighborhood.

we get a lot of bugs, lots of birds. my neighborhood has a lot of trees to block the sounds of the highway and train nearby. attracts a lot of lil fellas

we have a lot of black squirrels in my neighborhood. like, a TON. i never saw a black squirrel before moving to my neighborhood.

we get a lot of bugs, lots of birds. my neighborhood has a lot of trees to block the sounds of the highway and train nearby. attracts a lot of lil fellas
Black squirrels sound awesome! I wish I could see one. There’s also apparently a park in Illinois with all albino squirrels that I’d love to visit.

Squirrels, Fox, Owls, Geese, Herons. We live near a water bank. The first time I saw a fox it scared the hell out of me. I opened the door to let our dog outside, and there it was. Large and imposing, I had no idea it would be there.

Squirrels, Fox, Owls, Geese, Herons. We live near a water bank. The first time I saw a fox it scared the hell out of me. I opened the door to let our dog outside, and there it was. Large and imposing, I had no idea it would be there.
The first time I saw a coyote, it was winter and I thought, “That’s a dirty-looking dog.” But the way it looked at me, the colors of the fur…I figured it was wild. It ran into the woods and I asked my mom about it. It was a coyote, something I’d never seen before.

Also, hearing foxes scream at night can be scary. They sound like humans being tortured. (Sorry, that’s the best way I can describe it.)

Back