• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

How do you feel about vacations?

How do you feel about vacations?

• Total voters
I will say this, though, I am open to trying to go on a few vacations with friends to see if I like it or not, since vacations with friends and solo vacations do tend to be a lot better than family vacations for a lot of people. I have a really really close friend on here that I knew since 2018 that is on here (in fact, he commented in this thread) and we discussed about it on Discord with him, and another friend we have. ^__^

One place I’d love to go to for a vacation would be Orlando Florida to see Disney World and Universal Studios plus the Harry Potter park but they are all so expensive! I can’t afford to go to any of them and don’t know anybody that lives down there who could take me. When my mom was alive, she took my sister and me to Disneyland and Universal Studios Hollywood because she lived an hour or two from the parks. It was better this way because she knew the area and we didn’t need to rely on public transport or lose time because the bus broke down.

I love going on vacations. It's fun to explore new places and go sightseeing every now and then. I've been to several states in the US, though I haven't traveled out of the country yet. Also, I've been to several amusement parks on my orchestra field trips which I enjoyed a lot. I'm kind of a homebody though, so I can't travel for more than a week without missing the comfort of my home.

Honestly, you guys who get to travel often are lucky. Of course while family trips can be irritating, it gives you time to unwind from the stress of one's daily life like work and school. My parents are pretty cheap though, so the closest thing to a vacation I can have is maybe a picnic at the park with my family, which I'm fine with. Better than sitting at home all day long. I'm just craving for new adventures since I haven't been on vacation for nearly six years. It makes me feel like I haven't been able to experience life as much as I want to.

I LOVE traveling, and I wish I had the money to go to more places. Growing up me and my mom would get in the car and drive 5 hours and find a random hotel and just try new random things, it's so fun. I hope that someone in the near future I can travel internationally! I've never left my country :|

I enjoy going to new places but the downside is that I typically go with my dad who doesn’t like doing too much other than eating and visiting friends or relatives. I do get to go to California about once a year and that would not be so bad if it meant that I wasn’t stuck in my aunt’s house for about 80% of the time. She and her husband really don’t go to museums and the only time I get out of the house is either when my mom’s brother is able to come get me and take me to see different things with him or my aunt decides to go shopping. There isn’t much else to do in her house other than watch tv, use the internet, or play my Switch and once my dad complained that I was wasting time doing that instead of “spending time with family” which was the point of the trip and his argument was nullified instantly because everyone else was busy most of the day looking at their iPads and my dad was using the laptop he brought with him literally all day long except meals. I don’t mind if I have to travel with my dad but he really shouldn’t be criticizing me of doing things he’s guilty of doing too and I wish he would be more interested in sightseeing.

Hi Shawna, I wish I had read your post much earlier! I hate vacations too, but I think our problem isn't "vacations", exactly. I think it's the way we feel about our family(in this case, your mom I suppose). It makes us miss that comfort zone you mentioned.
My family stopped going on vacations a long time ago precisely because we don't get along well together and various other issues, but if I had to go again I wouldn't have the slightest desire. Although I like traveling and seeing new places, I prefer to do it alone rather than in their company. Am I ungrateful? Who cares!
I also have anxiety problems, above all when I find myself in new places or situations, in the end I always manage to gather courage but it is difficult to manage everything myself.
The vacations imposed by others are a cage for me and nothing more, but when I have the chance I will do many of them alone or with some friends, if they want!
There's nothing wrong with wanting to go home when you don't feel comfortable in a certain place, who wouldn't want that? Maybe one day you too will be able to find a way to really enjoy your vacations, but if you really discover that you don't like traveling very much, well it simply means that you still have a thousand unexplored places to discover in your imagination!
Each of us is unique in our own way and there is no right way to live our life, there is only what makes us feel good🫶

For me, it definitely depends on where I'm going, for what purpose, and for how long I'm going to be there.

I've only been on one real vacation, which was spending two weeks in New Zealand. I had a fair amount planned because I wanted to see some of the LOTR-related tourist-y things to see, as well as hike, see the fjords, etc. It was really enjoyable! It was definitely helped by having planned really well.

I've travelled for other reasons, like for work/university, but those have honestly been enjoyable too, for the most part.

Most of the time, I'm more than happy to stay home, and I'm not too concerned with going on vacation. But, there's definitely at least one place I'm hoping to travel to this year!

To me, anymore vacation means not having to go to work. If I go away great, if I don't also great.

I've went to a lot of different places in the United States and some places overseas to but not a lot because honestly traveling is expensive. With the cost of living and inflation, people are opting to travel less also. But I always enjoy my vacations wherever I go or if I don't I get into a lot of fun projects and the such.

I'll be flying to Vegas in two days for nearly a week, and can't wait to see how different it is out there compared to the gray sludgetown I like to call Michigan. I was originally unsure if I wanted to go forward with this as it's a company trip my dad is going on and it's so far away from what I'm used to, but I decided that I should really treat myself to take this opportunity at a much-reduced price as it's his employer paying for necessities and the (high-end fancy) room. Who knows - maybe I'll come home being able to afford moving out...

But seriously, as much as I like going places, it takes a while to get me going somewhere out of the house in the first place. I haven't actually taken a vacation somewhere without either of my parents tagging along, and I really hope I can muster the courage to take one completely by myself without anyone in my immediate family bothering me. I'm 24, and despite not being in a relationship with anyone, I'd really love a self-vacation at a quiet airbnb, and sort of experience a little bit about what it's like to live on my own without worrying about taking care of pets or being bothered by my parents.

Of course, saving up for such a thing would take a very long time at my current pay rate, and I tend to overspend on a ton of things because I've got a FOMO mentality of things going out of print, out of stock, or something needing to be replaced ASAP. It also doesn't help that I can't cook and always rely on fast food to get me by. I guess the good thing about my current financial status is that I'm always on-time with my car payments and monthly subscriptions, and have taken more responsibilities when it comes to certain bills, fees and such. I leased a car for three years, paying just over $275 a month, and was never late on a payment. My current car's payment is double that, and I'm still able to make payments on time.

I suppose if I actually want to go forward with taking a self-vacation, it would have to be in-state somewhere in the northern part of Michigan where there's more quiet places to stay at.

Back