• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

How do you feel about doing phone calls?

SkyKnight03

elegy
Bells
April Birthstone (Diamond)
Sky Clouds Scenery
Spring Sakura
White Hyacinth
Pink Heart Balloon
Purple Balloon
Sweet Balloon
Sweet Balloon
Yellow Balloon
Sweet Balloon
I was driving today and stopped to make a call in the store parking lot. (About a medication).

Despite not being afraid at all to drive a small metal death trap in a crowded street, my heart began racing because of the phone and sunk straight into my chest.

Which, logically, makes no sense at all. There's no apparent danger with a phone call. But that seems to be how anxiety goes

So the question is simply asking how people here feel about phone calls.

I don't like phone calls at all! For some reason, they set off my social anxiety way more than anything else. I think it might have to do with not having any other cues to work with on top of thoughts of "is my call interrupting them? am I even calling the right number?" and whatnot.

I have a tendency to try and script out what needs to be said, what I should expect in the call, etc. in order to mentally prepare myself.

i also don't like receiving phonecalls. everything goes to voicemail unless you're family idk man

Phone calls that are not with friends/family are the bane of my existence. I try to get out of them as much as I can and honestly, it takes me like a week to muster up the courage to call which has screwed me out of things before. I always stutter and forget what I was going to say. I know that the person on the other end literally doesn't care but if I mess up somehow, I get super embarrassed and wanna hide, even though they can't see me through the phone. And don't even get me started with calling someone with other people in the room. I literally go outside to make a phone call, even if it's to order pizza for everybody or something. I hate people listening to me call.

i have a very severe phone call aversion 😔 i think it's a combination of my social anxiety and autism. just the sound of my phone ringing makes me panic, and i can only answer it if it's my immediate family. i worry about not being able to hear the person, or them not being able to hear me, and tone is even harder to gauge over the phone on top of there being no body language, facial expressions or social cues to help me. i usually don't know when to expect the call or what's going to be said etc. i think the unknowns and unpredictability is what drives the fear. i read a good blog post once about why a lot of autistic people struggle with phone calls and resonated with a lot of what was said. this one!

I don't like phone calls at all! For some reason, they set off my social anxiety way more than anything else. I think it might have to do with not having any other cues to work with on top of thoughts of "is my call interrupting them? am I even calling the right number?" and whatnot.

I have a tendency to try and script out what needs to be said, what I should expect in the call, etc. in order to mentally prepare myself.

i also don't like receiving phonecalls. everything goes to voicemail unless you're family idk man

I didn't mention it in the opening post, but I wanted to point out that I do that exact scripting thing too. If it's an office or appointment, I try to call early in the morning, so I don't have to listen to the dreaded 'on hold' music for long.

I think I'm getting better at it though with constant practice. During COVID, I asked my mom to let me phone the curb side pickups for groceries. It helped a lot.

I'm finally learning how to calmly begin calls and introduce myself, instead of blurting out whatever I need.

When I was younger, I hated phone calls. Or just talking to people in general. I was terrified since my voice was very small and I had a lot of social anxiety. I couldn't order at restaurants either.. this was up until my early high school life.

Something happened and now I just don't care... so now I'm okay with making phone calls.

I also have phone anxiety. At least when I don't know the other person.

I have a phone phobia, I hate calling, it can take months before I do a phone call, I don't take calls either, people have to let a message and my family will tell me what it is about, I can't stand hear it ringing, I already hid the phone, and threw through the window several times. I don’t own a cell phone.

during working hours i absolutely don't care and will annoy anyone and let anyone annoy me to get what i need done

outside of that i'm terrified and will get my mum to do it

Absolutely ashamed and humiliated. Like that specific emotion you feel that eventually ends with you crying in a shower for 45 minutes. I just can’t call on the phone.

i used to be so anxious too but i dont care at all anymore. i guess its because i have a job where i have to pick up the phone and talk alot so im used to it

I hate them, but I’ve gotten sliiiightly more used to them from work. I still get anxious but not as badly as I used to.

I’m completely fine with them, honestly. I don’t have any issues with phone calls or having conversations.

I don't like phone calls and do the scripting thing as well. It's a symptom of my social anxiety. However, I genuinely enjoy chatting away with those who have overcome the anxiety hurdle and are people I feel comfortable around, so I don't mind unexpected phone calls from them. Everyone else, it's going straight to voice mail. And if they don't leave a message, it will forever remain a mystery!

At work I have to but if I can avoid answering calls I will (coffee anyone?) I’ve never been a phone person. If I have to call, I will make notes on what I want to say.

It depends on who I’m calling. Even though I enjoy talking with loved ones, face-to-face is always better.

i prefer phone/voice calls when i’m talking to my friends, but for anything else (work, appointments, etc) i’d rather have it in email. i have to type up a script before i make those calls orz

Back