• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

How do you feel about off-brand products?

How do you feel about off-brand products?

• Total voters
I don't like off-brand products. It's not because the products get broken easily, or the products taste disgusting, but it's because the brand me and my mom have to use at Walmart, because they're cheap, and we're kind of broke is Great Value, and I don't like how they keep slapping the same repetitive circle-shaped designs, and font, on different products over, and over again.

At least the background colors and patterns used on their products are not quite so repetitive.

Definitelyyy depends on the product! Most products I don't care for the brand (e.g. toothpaste, soap, clothes, small bags) as long as they do the job and the material isn't cheap, that's okay! Though I am very picky with other branded products, such as my conditioner, food products, ballpens & highlighters, sanitary napkins, some stuffed toys (yes I've been collecting Sanrio-certified plushies hehe), etc. I think if I switched to off-brands for some items that mean a lot to me, I'd shrivel up 😭😭

For the longest time I felt lucky to afford cereal. However I could only afford the knockoff cereal in bags, not boxes. I basically love all food, so if I can eat it and save money, that's what I do.

Some off brand stuff is really good, others not so much. If you can find out who was paid to make the off brand item, it can help you decide to try it out or not. Sometimes it is the same factory that makes the name brand item.

Personally, I’ve found that Target’s off-brand Benadryl works just as well as the name brand. Also most Kirkland products (Costco brand) are high-quality, such as the body wash, granola bars, etc.
I’ve tried some Walmart bakery foods before and they were tasty.

One off brand item you should never buy or trust are SD cards. I’ve never bought any of those really cheap off brand SD cards seen on Amazon promising to have a large data storage amount on them because I’ve always felt suspicious of them and was proven to be right after seeing some videos on YouTube that showed how much of a scam they are.

It depends on what you're getting. Plastic wrap? Name brand. The off brand is a lesser product. Ice cream sandwiches? Off brand. They're just as good as the name brand. Cheese? Name brand, my preference being Tillamook. Off brand cheese is a lesser product. Canned goods? Off brand. I will usually try the off brand of anything at least once to see if it's an equal product or not because I do like saving money, but if it sucks I'm not going to purchase it again just to save a little money.

I’m a fan of off-brand products for the most part, but it definitely depends! If it’s food, I’m usually fine with off-brand products since they’re usually cheaper, and they taste as good (sometimes better) than the name brand equivalents! The only personal example I can think of right now is samoa cookies. I’m not sure how much the girl scout cookies cost since we don’t really have girl scouts here, but I can get a box of no-name samoa cookies for around $2 or $3, and they taste just as good as name brand samoas!

With non-food products, I’m a little more picky since the quality isn’t always as good or durable as name brand equivalents, and sometimes ends up costing more than just getting the name brand product if I keep having to replace it. I’m always willing to try off-brand products at least once, though. If the quality is as good as the name brand equivalent, I’ll happily get the off-brand version instead. But if the quality’s bad or it doesn’t work as well, then I prefer to just get the name brand product. Cheaper products sometimes means cheaper material or quality, and I’d rather not buy bad products just to try and save money.

Our family has been on both ends of the financial spectrum. Dirt poor and financially well off. There was a time when we couldn't afford normal branded foods or drinks, and I still don't have much of a problem with off brand products.

...I think my only objection is that if I'm going to buy something more expensive (like a pair of headphones or a controller) I would rather pay the price and get something with durability that will last me for years. Nothing worse than a cheap product going out when you need it most.

like people have said it definitely depends on the product - as a student I buy almost exclusively off-brand food just because it's so much cheaper and i don't notice enough of a difference to justify paying the extra money for no reason. non-food stuff it depends - stuff like skincare i sometimes prefer drugstore own products, but equally for that i consider it worth the extra money for a reputable brand if i know it's worth the cost. for technology stuff (headphones etc) i'll go branded because it's an investment i'm okay with making!

It depends on the product. It really does. For example, I use name-brand paper towels and garbage bags because off-brand ones tend to be of inferior quality and if there is anything I don't want...its a weak garbage bag. Other products like window washing fluid or cereal I tend to get the off brand.

it depends for me! for things like skincare and stuff i'm applying on my face i don't go off brand. i prefer specific products so i wouldn't use off brands. for groceries, i'm okay with off brands in general tho. i've been buying like off brand pasta and pasta sauces and they work just fine lol! i try to save money on groceries where i can. i also have bought like off brand cold medications which i think works just as well as the branded ones like dayquil/zyrtec/etc. i also do a lot of household shopping on amazon and i've bought amazon branded things like batteries and such that also works fine too.

like a lot of the other people on this thread, it really does depend!! i don't mind off-brand food at all, because most of the time, they taste just as good as their name brand counterparts. when it comes to non-food stuff though, it's best to get name brand for better quality though.

For the longest time I preferred the more popular brand. I still kinda do but I may want to try other off brands.

A lot of off-brand stuff is actually not that bad, sometimes even really good! It really does depend on the type of product though. I would never use off-brand paint for example.

The one off-brand product I use literally every day are these cheap wireless headphones.. they look a bit like AirPods but they're not. I've gone through a lot of them in the past few years probably because they're so cheap but I don't wanna risk spending all that money on real AirPods only to have them break. Also these off brand wireless headphones come in different colors which is cool!

10000% depends! Hello to Crayola and GOODBYE to RoseArt crayons (for instance).

I think generic drug/medicine is fine and I've had good experiences using generic/wholesale paper towels and toilet paper.

seeing off brand food makes me smile because sometimes it's really clear that they've clearly used the design of the branded product. i can't really taste any difference and it's cheaper, so chose off-brand food

if i'm buying new clothes, i'd go for the brand

Back