• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do you thinking profanity should be allowed on the forums?

Uncensored profanity?

• Total voters
Whether or not these bad words need to be censored, people shouldn’t cuss anyway. It’s a bad habit in general.

I wish you would have told me this when my friend and I were swearing constantly while playing Mario Kart Wii about seven years ago lmao

But seriously, I kinda agree. In person I never swear around others unless they're my really close friends (basically you can consider my swears like an eternal friendship bond lol).

Nope. The occasional crap or damn is okay, esp if posted in the venting thread, but I would say keep curse words out of it as much as possible, even self censoring. I believe somewhere in the rules even states to avoid self censoring. Yes while majority of people who use these forums (WHO VOTED) are in the young teen-young adult range, the simple fact is children do use these forums. We don't need to expose them to extreme cursing, or even if they know the word, need to promote that kind of stuff. This is supposed to be a positive place, cursing has no place for that.

I'm very indifferent. If swearing did become allowed, then **** yes. If not, ah well. We've gone this long without swearing being allowed, and even then you can just use asterisks and most people will understand the message you're trying to convey. At the same time, OP also does bring up a good point about how it's kinda ridiculous how we can have "mature" discussions about serious political matters that kids shouldn't really be discussing (like abortion) and yet those are allowed but swearing isn't, so I dunno. Again, I'm quite indifferent, regardless of what were to happen though it wouldn't change my opinion on the forums here or the staff.

I do curse irl, but, no. You wanna curse, you can censor it. It's really not that big of a deal to keep it censored, honestly

Aside from the obvious reasons (eg creating a more hostile atmosphere and the high likelihood of being used aggressively) uncensored curse words can unfortunately trigger some parental blocks which could prevent some of our younger users from being able to navigate the forum properly.

Makes a lot more sense now. But the 13+ age requirement and censor seemed contradictory at first considering kids be playing roblox and doing vampire furry RPs at 13.

I don't think swearing should ever be on any forums about kid friendly games. If think swearing should atleast be in private message and in places where it is impossible to go to without an account. I hate swearing

I don't think swearing should ever be on any forums about kid friendly games. If think swearing should atleast be in private message and in places where it is impossible to go to without an account. I hate swearing

Well it is PG-13 iirc and I've seen sites being more allowing but that's not me to decide. They could exclude some words and add some new so you don't get banned for English not being your first language or using a word in an innocent context (that's what happened to me some years ago) and make it more equal what you ban for as for words etc.

As long it's not slurs like n-word and lgbtq+ slurs and such idc i guess?

No, if someone has no idea on how to express themselves using any of the 1,000's of other words the get the point across without cursing, they shouldn't be posting at all.

Also i never realized so many people on this forum had the mentality of a suburban white soccer mom

Last edited:
I think there should be an 18+ section based on the entered age used when one signs up and profanity can be in there. Only viewable by those with access to that section. Other that that? No.

I think there should be an 18+ section based on the entered age used when one signs up and profanity can be in there. Only viewable by those with access to that section. Other that that? No.

The only problem being that almost everyone lies about their age on the internet, the only sure screening process would require a credit card , id or something of that nature.
And nobody wants to do that just to post on a forum.

I don't have a problem with profanity and I curse all the time myself, but I also filter myself in certain situations. Since there are or may be young people on this forum, I consider that a time to filter myself. While it really wouldn't bother me at all if it was allowed, it may offend others or keep younger people from being able to join due to their parents. Plus, I don't really think it's necessary.

Also i never realized so many people on this forum had the mentality of a suburban white soccer mom

lmaooo true though.

but yeah as i said the filtered ones and what's allowed is very vague since yeah i warned for using a word that is not really used in the bad way but whoever warned me thought and since idk it was apparently used mostly in the bad way in english it was a bit.. uh okay..tl;dr fix the filter and add a certain word i cant spell out.

Honestly no. It just adds to the negativity and there’s already way too much of that on the internet to begin with.

I'm fine with censorship on cussing for what other people said: there are young children that use these boards. It'd be naive to think there are not people on the boards right now who lied about their age to join.

It'd also be naive to think that children aren't exposed to cussing on the Internet, nor that children cuss themselves. I can tell you that in middle school, I cussed like a sailor. I still do, but I'm able to get my point across on the Internet without vulgar language.

So while we can build a family-friendly atmosphere, that's not going to stop children from "experiencing" the Internet. Just look at some of the stuff that's posted on the subreddit. It's a stark contrast to what's posted here.

Last edited:
It'd also be naive to think that children aren't exposed to cussing on the Internet, nor that children cuss themselves. I can tell you that in middle school, I cussed like a sailor. I still do, but I'm able to get my point across on the Internet without vulgar language.

^^^this this this. if one think you will be not be exposed these days.. think again.

also that word i'm pointing towards is not really bad and you can type it out but for some resaon i got warned for it lol (context but still bruh)

Last edited:
In my young defense....

Profanity is already censored, so I do think its fine as it is. That doesn't mean though you swear the house down so excessively.

Adding onto that though, us older members also have a responsibility to set an example of how to behave when we are using the forums so we don't have a negative influence on younger members, because we're gonna be hit with a lot of new members closers to New Horizons release.

I agree, and i dont mind stuff like heck or crud, thats all i can say irl! But srsly we all know what ya mean. And i firmly belive that nh is gonna make kids wish they were thirteen ( like me) to be on here!

Im just trying to protect young minds boi, and i wanna be the lil sis of all of btf bc i probably the youngest on here anyway ( by a month... May six 2006 bois :))

Last edited:
Back