• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Art Event Submission Policies and Guidelines

Trying to address a few things, but please let me know if I missed anything! I've also added a "Notes and Future Revisions" section to the opening post to collect some of the things we'll keep in mind for our finalized policies.

EDIT: Also, forgot to say this, but thank you for all of the feedback and for voicing your thoughts/concerns thus far! It's definitely been helpful in figuring out what parts we need to revise (and this was one of our hopes in making this thread open for discussion).

Also I often use my game itself for reference. For example I'll look at in item/character in game to draw them, how would I credit that?
Just including a screenshot would be fine!

This depends on how closely the referencing was, of course. We're going to clean up the wording a bit to maybe directly say "heavily referenced" instead, so it might not be an issue at all unless it looks very much like a 1:1 copy.

Please tell me I understood correctly: if we want to use a large part of an asset as reference (e.g. a whole Tom Nook) we should reference the source.
However, if we put together an entirely new artwork using only small snippets of references, it is not required? An example of what I mean: Iโ€™m drawing a character off the top of my head but need help from references with a hand or clothing folds, so I go online to look for something that might fit. At the end, the artwork is still a work of my own, but with some parts having been referenced (but altered). You wouldnโ€™t need a list of every single reference used, right? ๐Ÿ˜ต Sometimes I โœจstealโœจ how someone used accent colours or a particular texture I love (halftone brushes for example) but I still do my own thing with it - so I think I should be ok? Can someone confirm pls ๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘ˆ๐Ÿผ

Another question: what if a pose was traced from a reference, but everything except for the pose is original? Like using a base or an anatomy model of some sort..?
Inspirations and the likes don't need to be cited (although from my own perspective, as I said before, I really like seeing these. So it might be nice as inspiration for people! But that's not an actual requirement, haha.)

With regards to poses... There's a few levels here that we'll probably have to discuss some more! Referencing a model or something should be fine in general (especially if you're not doing a 1:1 copy but just using it to see how folds/curves/etc. are), but things like using a YCH pose base that someone else created feels like it crosses a line (into the "tracing/referencing fan works" territory).

Though, just to clarify further: when it comes to referencing small stuff like the AC leaf icon, reaction icons etc, are we supposed to credit those as well? Or is it only for bigger stuff like characters, poses etc?
As things currently are, we'd like you to credit those too (even if it's just including a collage of all the icons used) if it's very heavily referenced.

It's a bit hard for us to clearly communicate where to draw the line (e.g. what needs citation and what doesn't, what asset is considered "small enough" to not warrant it, etc.) -- but even if you don't add credit, if it's something that is actually concerning, the idea is that we would just be able to ask you to add credit afterwards anyways.

Something like this would be perfectly fine as credit:

1709762386282.png

(i.e. just a collection of images that you used -- we typically know the source anyways!)

For instance, there are certain events where we decorate our profile to match an event theme, which includes not just Art but Photoshop or images one can find online. Will these rules be applied to that specific contest as well? Would we need to reference profile pictures we find online? I presume some people have used other peoples fan art for the contest, if we were supposed to reference but canโ€™t use fan art, would that be against the rules going forward?
Those events aren't considered "Art Events" in this same regards -- you're free to do as you wish with avatars and signatures (as long as it's within site rules, of course).

With that said, it is generally nice if you still source where you got some fanart from -- but that's etiquette, not a hard rule.

What about the artists that basically just want to use a reference picture of the official character as a point reference to what the character looks like, but draw an entirely different pose and artstyle for the said official character? Do we still need to post proof of reference pictures used or post our portfolio of past art?
That wouldn't need a source! I do think we'll reword in our final draft to be more clear that we mean "heavily referenced" (i.e. something that is too close to the original source, to the point where we wonder whether it's traced or not).

We definitely didn't mean for this to make future art contests more difficult/stressful in any way. Rather, the intention was the opposite: that it's a bit more lenient to allow for things like tracing, and that people who were worried their works looked too close to the original could simply cite their source (or be asked to cite it, if they forget).

From my perspective of things, I do believe most art events will be functionally the same in terms of submissions for most members. The only changes would be for people that want to trace.

That wouldn't need a source! I do think we'll reword in our final draft to be more clear that we mean "heavily referenced" (i.e. something that is too close to the original source, to the point where we wonder whether it's traced or not).

We definitely didn't mean for this to make future art contests more difficult/stressful in any way. Rather, the intention was the opposite: that it's a bit more lenient to allow for things like tracing, and that people who were worried their works looked too close to the original could simply cite their source (or be asked to cite it, if they forget).

From my perspective of things, I do believe most art events will be functionally the same in terms of submissions for most members. The only changes would be for people that want to trace.
Ah, I understand now. thank you for clarifying that part of the new policy. I'm honestly a bit confused on the second part of the new rules/policy for art contest submission! ๐Ÿ˜€(y)

Some honest feedback; I dun geddit!

This all seems very over-complicated for what should probably be a fun activity. Having talked to my friends who are members here, I can tell you that for those of us who haven't been here for very long compared to the majority, it's already really hard to understand the events and the rules surrounding them. Which is why we tend not to join in much, if at all.

It's fine though as I'm not really into drawing or crafts anyway and would likely get beaten up if I was seen doing a colouring page or making paper lantern lmao, but that's not anyone else's problem obviously! I would personally prefer to see more activities based on the actual game or gameplay, since this is an Animal Crossing forum. But I appreciate I haven't been here for as long and many people love doing all this stuff. In terms of art, I'm more of a writer/dancer type and I doubt you're gonna hold a competition for the best Animal Crossing dance lmaooo.

Tl;dr - this seems like further complicating an already overly complex set of guidelines that accompanies every event that some of us newer folks already find to be a bit overwhelming anyway.

My initial reaction is that there isn't a reduction of the burden on staff nor artists with these guidelines as they are currently presented.

I think the trigger to provide references is a bit unclear or potentially onerous.
I can throw in the kitchen sink when providing references, as creating my mood boards using PureRef will even link to the sources of the images; anyone can download this tool for free. I reference fanart all the time for colors or expressions or poses, but I try not to steal their entire concept... I feel like the staff will now have to weigh whether my entries crossed the line on referencing, etc.

Since it seems like most of the feedback falls in the same category (i.e. the wording was too broad earlier), I've made a direct edit to the draft of the policy. Namely switching "referencing" to "heavily referencing" and adding a few clarifications here:
What do we mean by "heavily referencing"?
By referencing, we generally mean "looking at and copying an asset in a near 1:1 recreation." The main difference between what is and isn't okay is the act of manually creating all parts of the submission. The following are some specific example of what is and isn't okay:
  • โœ” Tracing is okay
  • โœ” Looking at an asset and trying to copy it in a 1:1 manner is okay
  • โŒ Applying a filter over an asset is not okay
  • โŒ Painting over an asset is not okay
If your referenced image looks too much like the original asset, we may ask for proof of your work (layers, WIPs, etc.) in order to confirm that you are not simply reusing the asset.

Generally speaking: if we are able to overlay the original asset over your work and see a large amount of overlap, that would be considered heavily referencing. "Heavily referencing" does not include looking at a reference or drawing inspiration
I'll likely add more examples when I get a chance, but I'm trying to not make any large adjustments to the policy as of yet.

For those of you still following this and who had concerns (that I've hopefully clarified in my earlier responses): does this wording seem a bit more clear/in-line with our intentions? Or is it still a bit too vague?

Formal/concise wording is hard ๐Ÿ˜ฉ

Thanks for putting together these rules. I think it will be helpful to have a central repository for these kinds of guidelines especially for recurring issues!

As for confusion over the reference images, the clarification does help I think. I have a feeling that it will all become much more clear once we all are able to experience it in a real event. So since everyone seems prepared to grant some grace, I donโ€™t feel too worried. (Though granted, my art skills are not at a level where there would ever be confusion about whether or not I traced something or heavily eyeballed ๐Ÿ˜…)

Thanks esp for the rule on AI art! It would really spoil the events.

Here's an idea: more writing events/activities.

That would solve everything lolol

You jest, but this is something that could actually help imo. We barely ever have writing events during events anymore. Maybe once every now and then. But this is something I'd personally like to see more of.

Anyway, glad about the rule changes. Can't say it affects me much because I'm not an artist, but I'll at least make sure to cite my sources from now on. Also super glad about the discouragement of AI. AI in its use for art is a disgusting concept and should have never became a thing.

You jest, but this is something that could actually help imo. We barely ever have writing events during events anymore. Maybe once every now and then. But this is something I'd personally like to see more of.

Anyway, glad about the rule changes. Can't say it affects me much because I'm not an artist, but I'll at least make sure to cite my sources from now on. Also super glad about the discouragement of AI. AI in its use for art is a disgusting concept and should have never became a thing.
Not this time lol I wholeheartedly want more writing events. I'm glad I'm not alone in the sentiment, at least. But I also won't get my expectations up too much. It'll take years for real change to happen.

I'd love this too!! I'm not an artist so whenever TBT has events, I have to sign out of all the art events and then that just leaves the game events which can be meh. I'd love more writing events!
Preach! All fellow writers, it's time to take a stand ๐Ÿ˜ค let's get all JoJo's Bizarre Adventure up in here.

...Okay NOW I'm jesting ๐Ÿ˜‚

Going to put a cap on the discussion of writing events here, just so the thread remains focused on revising the policies/guidelines as needed. The interest in writing events has been noted though!

But so long as we have any art events at all, some form of policy will be required to handle things like tracing/plagiarism/etc.

although maybe we should've just made this a writing event. "write a clear policy that forbids genAI, allows tracing but requires credits, clearly states what referencing requires citation, blah blah blah" im too illiterate to be handling this ๐Ÿฅฒ least controversial/most clear policy gets 1 bell
this is a joke, for the record.

One of the rules say your entry must be PG-13 rated. Does that also mean anything that looks preschool-rated, G-rated, or PG-rated are forbidden?

Here's an idea: more writing events/activities.

That would solve everything lolol
I would appreciate this as well and second it. A writing prompt for a story involving characters could be really fun and I think a lot of people would enjoy reading them, and it would broaden the range of skills that are rewarded and represented in the ceremonies.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't see your post above mine that put a cap on the writing event discussion. My bad.
Post automatically merged:

One of the rules say your entry must be PG-13 rated. Does that also mean anything that looks preschool-rated, G-rated, or PG-rated are forbidden?
I would imagine this means PG-13 is the ceiling of what is acceptable, and everything under is fine. They just don't want gory, graphic, and anything inappropriate for a child to view.

I would imagine this means PG-13 is the ceiling of what is acceptable, and everything under is fine. They just don't want gory, graphic, and anything inappropriate for a child to view.
I knew what they mean. I just felt like making fun of wording or grammar, like a troll.

I'm fine with the new rules, I remember that person who used circle and triangle tools to make ACNH characters and got disqualified because it looked too much like official assets.I felt so sad for them. For digital I keep all my references in a folder, it's not that hard to make a collage with them and it's just for elements that are copied, like same angle or pose, example: a balloon with a gift or a too perfect leaf icon, we can stop worrying if it looks traced or not.

As a non-artist, I gotta be honest, i don't even know what some of this references, like vector asset. (I had "what's your vector, victor?" flash through my head).

Never thought about AI either, but obv it's good to keep it to our work and exclude AI.

I've never traced for any art event, but I have definitely stared at character images (forever) and painstakingly tried (repeatedly) to get it right. Adding in the references seems ok, but i mean....they aren't going to look quite right when i get done with them. ๐Ÿ˜†

I have wondered about the different art tools i see in ibis, though. I will see like, glitter brushes, special effects brushes, things like that. And I always think, hmm...i wonder if that's ok? I've definitely used the heck out of the symmetry tool. I spent forever trying to just do a simple gingerbread dude, and it wasn't until I (finally) remembered the symmetry tool that i could get a decent outline.

I think it's nice to have as much clarification as possible. Maybe the more i improve, the more my stuff will start to look like actual reference pics! ๐Ÿ˜…

Na fam this is too much. Too much words and too much rules and who knows what it all means anyway LOL please calm down this is not boot camp art contests should not be so serious like I said for the reject entries in the egg thread that was just cold

Back