• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Should Nintendo Be Allowed to Revoke Features? (Poll)

Should Nintendo be allowed to revoke features via updates?

• Yes

Votes: 192 67.6%
  • No

Votes: 92 32.4%

• Total voters
I feel like I must be doing something wrong now haha because I never noticed an abundance of peacock butterflies or tarantulas before. Typically I’d see about three a day which seemed about right to me, but I’ve been playing less here lately so I can’t say whether I’ve noticed a difference in spawn rates.

If it was done to balance the game as people are saying I see no problem with it. I’d rather the rare creatures actually be rare.

I think it's a hybrid flower thing in the case of the peacock butterflies. I had a lot of blues going and man my field was C-O-V-E-R-E-D in them. I wasn't even fishing anymore. Just swooping through my flower gardens once or twice a day and racking up a quick 200k in 10 or 15 minutes.

It was soooo broken lol.

Are you trolling? There was no such thing as downloadable patches or updates in games from the early 2000's going back, and some of those games were among the best ever. Even NL didn't have many major patches or rolling updates other than WA, and that game was released less than a decade ago. At least for AC games, Nintendo is being a lot more paternalistic with NH than any of the previous AC games. The idea that Nintendo forcing us to wait for holidays or work harder to get bells is a blessing that we should be praising them for is laughable. In all of the previous AC games, if you didn't want to have Toy Day in July, you could just, you know, not TT to Toy Day in July. Now you don't even have the option to TT to Toy Day in July. Given the precedent set in the the previous AC games, you should have the freedom to ruin your own playing experience by TTing to all of the major holidays right away. Developers should not treat their players like children and try to save people from themselves.
Sorry that you managed to misinterpret my original statement (although I admit it was broad and hyperbolic to say "every game ever")
but I'm obviously not (at least I assumed it was obvious) referring to games released in the year 2000... -_-

Last edited:
Should Nintendo really be allowed to rip features away to punish everyone for playing the game the way they want to? Making Bells was already not that easy, and to lower spawn rate for bugs and fish is frankly disgusting. It shouldn't be any of their business how we consumers play a game we paid for. And mind you, this is a $60 game, not a mobile phone app in which we're at the mercy of the game developer and their poor choice of updates. The idea that any game developer could take away from my game play is unacceptable, and something must be done before Nintendo ruins the game entirely.

If you answer yes, what's going to stop other game developers from overreaching in various games, apps, and other technology? Do you really want to succumb to their power and hand over that freedom?

I understand your point.

Connecting your game to the Internet, where the game can be “updated,” makes you the consumer and gameplayer in agreement with the manufacturer’s terms.

So, why is this happening?

One can give an explanation that is about the enjoyment and fairness of the game.

I look at this differently.

I think it’s because “Animal Crossing: New Horizons” is new and Nintendo wants to stretch it—for the better part of ten years—to sustain interests for gameplayers to continue actively playing “New Horizons.”

There were people who, in the U.S., played “New Leaf” with its release in 2013 and were done by 2015. That was just before “Happy Home Designer,” in September 2015, with the start of the four series of regular villagers’ amiibo cards, and a year before “Welcome amiibo” was introduced in “New Leaf.” And, yes, “Welcome amiibo” was in much design to sustain gameplayers’ interests with continuing to play “New Leaf” for however much longer. (Those amiibo cards gave a player control for which villagers lives in a given town.)

So, “New Horizons” was released on March 20, 2020.

Do you think Nintendo—with the millions it cost for the creation, design, development, and manufacturing of “New Horizons”—wants people to be fulfilled and done with the game perhaps as early as Year #01 of its release? Year #02 can be enough for a number of people.

Nintendo wants people playing “New Horizons” throughout the majority—or even the entirety—of this new decade of the 2020s. It takes time to create, design, and develop a new game. This is especially the case with a game that is established, with one version after the next, and is meticulous in its details. So, Nintendo does not want to have to turn around—say in 2023, 2024, or 2025—and release a new “Animal Crossing: New Whatever.” (This is also in consideration Nintendo has other titles it creates, designs, develops, and manufactures.)

Are you trolling? There was no such thing as downloadable patches or updates in games from the early 2000's going back, and some of those games were among the best ever. Even NL didn't have many major patches or rolling updates other than WA, and that game was released less than a decade ago. At least for AC games, Nintendo is being a lot more paternalistic with NH than any of the previous AC games. The idea that Nintendo forcing us to wait for holidays or work harder to get bells is a blessing that we should be praising them for is laughable. In all of the previous AC games, if you didn't want to have Toy Day in July, you could just, you know, not TT to Toy Day in July. Now you don't even have the option to TT to Toy Day in July. Given the precedent set in the the previous AC games, you should have the freedom to ruin your own playing experience by TTing to all of the major holidays right away. Developers should not treat their players like children and try to save people from themselves.
The devs are not treating us like children, and its not anybody else's problem but your own if you feel like a child because of what the devs do.

Its wonderful that events are time locked. They are called events for a reason. It gives me a reason to come back in the future.

I don't know why people here keep saying it's Nintendo's game like they're the landlord and we're the tenants. They may be legally be the landlords of their game, but I don't understand why people would be okay or happy with that relationship as consumers.

Maybe I'm old-school, but when I buy a video game, I consider it my video game, not the developers' game. I know there are legal restrictions like I can't copy and sell the game as my own, but as a consumer I feel like it's my right to play the game however I want or even take the disk or cartridge and smash it with a hammer if I want. I can also sell my copy of the game to someone else. So in most ways, my copy of the game is my game once I purchase it.

When the OP asked "Do you really want to succumb to their power and hand over that freedom?", I didn't expect so many people to answer "Yes, please!"
I was unaware that Nintendo removed my ability to catch and sell insects.

And, in most ways, the game you purchased is not your own. Sure, you can do what you like with its physical host- sell it, crush it with a hammer or just play it. But the bits that matter most, indeed the bits you likely bought it for in the first place- the intellectual property and everything sheltered under that umbrella like assets, coding and dialogue - are not yours in any way and you are not entitled to them beyond the right to experience them, just like a movie or a book. So I don't really get this argument that folks are somehow kowtowing to The Man by not crying about the rebalancing (not removal) of a feature, but okay.

I’m not sure it matters now tbh. You paid for the game, Nintendo already have your money. If Nintendo decide to take something away (or tweak it which is basically what they did for spawn rates - they didn’t actually take them away) and you decide you don’t like it and stop playing, well then it doesn’t effect Nintendo in the slightest.

Whether we think it’s right or wrong, Nintendo can do what ever they want cause they already have the sales.

But just for my personal opinion, for whatever it counts, I can’t say I’ve noticed the decreased bug spawns that much. It’s not particularly affected my gameplay tbh so I don’t really mind it.

"Allowed" by whom? Who is going to stop them? I'm wondering what the recourse is here and what authority is going to tell this video game company to stop rebalancing its online game. I mean, it isn't the consumer. Ninty already has your wallet vote, since you bought the game.

It's really not hard to make bells, anyway, and I'm only playing a bit a day right now. This was not a game-breaking change.

It is their game, so obviously they have that right. I think if they were taking away MAIN features (like completely removing the museum) or something that'd be one thing, but making minor changes to try to maintain the online economy is their choice and it's on them to control it to start with so idk

Ok bug/fish spawns aside what about the duping trick? I never did it but was it hurting them to let people do it? No. Or how about in new leaf when people found ways to go outside the boundaries and they stopped that? That wasn't hurting anyone and it was fun for the players. Again not some thing I did but only because I found out too late. I just think if it's not hurting anyone and players want to do it let them. As for the stalk market it's a pain. I'm doing it now but this will be my last week because I work and it's a nuisance taking the switch with me to check the a.m. prices. And I'm sure some folks cant check it at work and kids cant check at school(maybe at lunch dk). Point is its not really doable for a lot of us. And I've looked at going to other peoples islands like on turnip.exchange and such but most people are asking insane prices to let someone come sell turnips.

They can but they shouldn't

A lot of people seem to be a little...bootlicking in this thread lol but honestly? they didn't do this with new leaf why are they doing it with new horizons? its annoying let me play the game i want LOL

I think it's a hybrid flower thing in the case of the peacock butterflies. I had a lot of blues going and man my field was C-O-V-E-R-E-D in them. I wasn't even fishing anymore. Just swooping through my flower gardens once or twice a day and racking up a quick 200k in 10 or 15 minutes.

It was soooo broken lol.
Wow that’s crazy haha. But you’re probably right, up until a couple days ago I only had one black lily for the blue/purple/black needed to spawn them.

No wonder people have been able to put down crazy amounts of bells on things lmao. I wonder if people using the island to rack up bells with the beetles is part of the reason it didn’t return in the same form in NH?

I think they're just tryna be more active in balancing the game and finding what works best. I don't think Nintendo means to take away anyone's fun. Honestly I didn't even notice the different spawn rate until I saw someone on here mention it. Even then I am unsure. With fish you can easily just use fish bait - maybe they should come out with several bug bait types? That would be amazing.

But yeah, this game is a work in progress, and I bet we will see a lot of updates with balance changes in them

Depends. They should be able to revoke features if they're game-breaking, exploited, or unintended.

But the nerfs that you mentioned are not revoked features.

Lowering the spawn of rare critters is logical. They just weren't rare. Emperor butterflies and peacock butterflies appeared as often as ants do to rotten turnips, especially peacock butterflies. I barely even think its to deter time travelers (which I thought Nintendo had said were perfectly alright, anyways), and is instead supposed to add balance to a trading-centric game. If you think of it from a trading perspective, more things to make money makes higher prices for everything, because the lower-end of the high-bell range becomes obsolete when absolutely EVERYONE has that amount of bells.

You act like Nintendo is stripping away everything enjoyable about the game when all it was was a spawn tweak. Other games do this all the time! MMOs tweak drop rates of certain items, remastered versions of games may change entire areas. Tweaks are allowed to be made for the balance of the game. I have little to say about the interest tweak, but I don't think it even really matters.

Turnips aren't even the only way to make money, still. You can still just catch a bunch of fish or bugs and sell em to CJ or Flick when they're on your island. Or, just spend a day doing that normally and sell whatever you catch to Timmy and Tommy. An average day can net you a lot of bells, the issue is that people don't want to work for their bells as much. Which is fine, play the game as you'd like, but at the end of the day a balancing issue shouldn't get your pants all in a bunch in this way.

Sorry if I came off rude in this, I just really don't see what all the hubbub and revolutionary talk is about for a spawn tweak.

This is all so laughable... like, even after the patch, bells are so much easier to make in New Horizons than they've ever been before.

Succumbing to their power is also such strange language to use lmao you make it sound like a way bigger problem than it is. You don't have to, anyway. If you don't like what's in the update, don't download it. You can play it just as it was when you bought it if you wanted to.

These kinds of changes in game play are crucial whether you like them or not. I'm with the half of this thread that believes you're either trolling or you've sincerely never played an online game before.

I do believe the game developers reserve the right to take away a feature from video games no matter how popular they are. And they are in the right to revoke features that have been abused. Nerfing spawn rates - that was only done to balance the game. But taking away features like Club Tortimer and time traveling benefits - the way they’re done has either broke the game or were used in a bad way that many would not approve. They wouldn’t take away features to ruin fun for the others. Besides, if it’s easy to make so many Bells quickly, it would be hard to play longer as you would lose interest quickly.

ACNH wasn’t the first game I played where the developers literally took away a popular feature. I played this one PS3 game called Little Big Planet 2. One of the features that was revoked was the ability to boo levels (which was the negative rating). People have abused that feature to grief or harass other players rather than as used for constructive criticism. What did Media Molecule do? They took away the boo rating, so trolls wouldn’t use it for something malicious or malevolent. The move upset almost everybody at first, stating that they destroyed the criticism system. Then it caused other problems later on. But this is what happens if several people use it for mean purposes only.

This is all so laughable... like, even after the patch, bells are so much easier to make in New Horizons than they've ever been before.

Succumbing to their power is also such strange language to use lmao you make it sound like a way bigger problem than it is. You don't have to, anyway. If you don't like what's in the update, don't download it. You can play it just as it was when you bought it if you wanted to.

These kinds of changes in game play are crucial whether you like them or not. I'm with the half of this thread that believes you're either trolling or you've sincerely never played an online game before.

Succumb to DADDY NINTENDO!

Omg.

tbh i think fixing the spawn rates is fair. i'm glad to read this thread and see people concede that they were out of whack. it took me 3 years to catch a coelacanth in new leaf; in just over a month of new leaf if i had to hazard a guess i've caught 8 or 9. i have seen flies twice in the entire time i've been playing and still haven't been able to catch one. i see at least 3-4 tarantulas a night on my island. i want to finish the museum obviously but it's kind of a bummer that all the fish and insects that are supposed to be super hard to catch and are like a rite of passage to get have been a total cinch to find.

i will agree that the interest nerf was kind of weird but nintendo are completely within their rights to patch things in their games whether players like it or not. they aren't the first to do it, nor will they be the last.

1. lowering the interest wasn't a good move. interest was really low anyway, practically insignificant for all players, especially real time players, so unless there was a motive other than "stop the time travelers", it was a stupid move. but the rug was cool.

2. bug and fish rates weren't nerfed to hurt real time players or anything. it was because rare bugs weren't rare. peacock butterflies were everywhere, tarantulas and emperor butterflies pracitically took over my island in march. the rare stuff needs to be rare. i caught multiple coelacanths within a month of playing and that's supposed to be the rarest fish. doesn't seem quite right lol
Just wanted to say that I caught 3 Coelacanths a few hours ago. If anything, they haven't changed the spawn rates for most of the fish. However, there's still a few that are ridiculously rare (Barreleye, Golden Trout and Stringfish, for example).

I really don't get it why they lowered the interest rate, and the only reason I can think of is as sketchy as Redd.

Back