• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Should Nintendo Be Allowed to Revoke Features? (Poll)

Should Nintendo be allowed to revoke features via updates?

• Yes

Votes: 192 67.6%
  • No

Votes: 92 32.4%

• Total voters
I voted yes after reading a good portion of this thread. As many have already said, Nintendo did not rem any features, they adjusted the spawn rates...not one and the same things. Also, I’m not bothered by the interest rate changes. Interest was never a really big money maker for me anyway. I prefer to play the stalk market if I want big money, and when summer months come, I’ll be able to go after my big beetles. I think people need to realize that this is just a game, not real life. Even with everything going on, at the end of the day, it won’t put food on the table.

Look, the bottom line is I asked should they be allowed to. I already know that they can, and do, since the thread subject concerns the last power they exercised. Game developers have too much control. And it goes without saying; I understand bug fixes are necessary. I am not implying that game developers "have no right to touch a game" after they have released it. But to dip their hand in and manipulate players to play the game they want, while they already can do this, in my (very independent opinion, it seems) they should not be able to. I realize that Nintendo needed to correct the excessive spawning, but to the extent that I see hardly anything rare now is a bit far. Not to mention, this unfairly places all players into the same box, assuming everyone experienced high spawn rates. I for one fished for hours during rainstorms and afterwards, to catch nothing but sea bass. You cannot honestly tell me that accumulating Bells is equal to New Leaf because you could obtain 400k a night in beetles by spending a mere 1k on the island tours. Another point to add is the fish spawn has already been outrageously low (95% of the time I catch sea bass or black bass). On New Leaf fishing was difficult but at the very least I could catch Red Snapper more regularly than in NH.

So the answer is yes, Nintendo currently holds all of the cards in their hand. But do we really want that? Do players really want to be at the mercy of what the game developer decides, and nod blankly, obeying their rules to play the game the way they intended? We may as well be in kindergarten because you're expected to follow all of their orders and if someone steps out of line, you and your entire class is immediately punished. (I'm referring to the lowered interest rates, of course.)

Nintendo must be upset about that Villager Market (aka, somebody else doing money with their work). Maybe they didn't intend to micro-monetize their game, but it happened. Probably they gonna revert that feature, there is no way they are taking a black market haha

My answer: yes, but... no.

"Game developers have too much control."

i'm sorry - over their game? that they spent years creating? and updates that help keep the game fresh and balanced for us, the players? listening to our numerous inputs from new leaf and other games so that we can actually move villager houses etc? over the game that you're so passionately invested in to be this upset about?

feel free to design and create your own game and then listen to every whim that the consumers want.

i also catch red snappers more than sea bass at night.

"Game developers have too much control."

i'm sorry - over their game? that they spent years creating? and updates that help keep the game fresh and balanced for us, the players? listening to our numerous inputs from new leaf and other games so that we can actually move villager houses etc? over the game that you're so passionately invested in to be this upset about?

feel free to design and create your own game and then listen to every whim that the consumers want.
Following your words.
They are just fixing some issues that didn't found out in their Alpha/Beta testings. If everyone could get rich through an exploit, they are absolutely gonna fix it. There is no fun if everyone can achieve everything easily.
Their creation, their rules.
It is a multiplayer game, and we should stand any change they do.

First of all... is that 95% statistic truthful, or is it pulled out of your ass? You could easily be fishing up way more snappers than you think. Yes... you are going to pull up black bass and sea bass the majority of the time... that is the purpose of common fish... you are not supposed to get a rare fish every twenty minutes...

And yes, I am fine with being at the mercy of the devs. You are painting them as though they are cruel dictators that will personally ostracize you for stepping out of line. You can still play how you want? You get interest once a month, so I don't see how that is in any way detrimental to your gameplay as a whole. And you said you're fine with rare bugs being rare. What is the issue then? I feel like you're angry that you're not being handed bells like dogs are handed food. Is the thing that bothers you the fact that the devs want you to actually play the game instead of getting everything essentially for free?

I don't understand how these game updates are being treated in this thread like a developer's ultimate trump card for controlling it's playerbase and ending playstyle freedom when opting out of the updates is a very straightforward option. Everything is in the player's hands here.

btw i got the hairy spiders from hell island last night, got 18 in a fairly short period before i couldn't stand them anymore and sold them to flick as soon as i got back to my island... the fact that i only get cj/flick almost every 2 weeks, means i can still make a ton of money that way, even if it requires more work and waiting(thankfully scorpions don't trigger me like they do). like i said before, on my island itself it seems the butterflies were nerfed too hard, and i don't like it, but i also know some people aren't finding the butterflies ultra rare on their island. you only get out of this game the effort you're willing to put into it. my hubby would have stayed on spider hell island until he filled 39 slots, me, my phobia extends into games so... NOPE.

this is very overdramatic lol. sure im happy to succumb to their power and hand over my freedom so that i dont have to tip toe around or get my ass kicked by tarantulas as much when i just want to play. in the developers minds this was probably considered an exploit. because they changed the spawn rates its obvious that it was not working as they intended and they have the right to fix something that is broken to them. with fixing the spawn rates they have made more subtle positive differences like the one i mentioned. for another example theyve also decreased interest rates from the bank because people would exploit this by time travelling to get lots of bells immediately which is a very fair thing to do im sure. i personally dont care at all if you want to exploit, you can do whatever you want with your game and make the most of any exploit but you dont have to be so mad at them when it justifiably gets patched up. just accept it and move on.

to REALLY answer the question for a real feature then im not sure. its extremely unlikely that theyll just get rid of a feature they put work into, if anything they would change how it works for balance reasons.

Last edited:
?: I'd say yes, sometimes unexpected things come up. Take them having to lower the amount of eggs you got from bunny day, when programming the spawn rate they probably weren't expecting how often people were playing due to the various stay at home orders around the wold, so a later patch was needed to keep the amount of eggs from getting frustrating.

I don't entirely mind either way, it feels par for the course where the devs will update things as issues arise and mechanics don't work the way intended. They're also not really making extremely major removals for features, the most they've adjusted so far is spawning and interest. I'm also fine with the way they're adding features, but that might be because we play in real time and so we're okay with waiting since it feels a lot more like part of the immersion and I kind of prefer it since it feels like we're all exploring new features together.

I don't think they should make major removals or abuse power, but what they've done so far is fair.

Look, the bottom line is I asked should they be allowed to. I already know that they can, and do, since the thread subject concerns the last power they exercised. Game developers have too much control. And it goes without saying; I understand bug fixes are necessary. I am not implying that game developers "have no right to touch a game" after they have released it. But to dip their hand in and manipulate players to play the game they want, while they already can do this, in my (very independent opinion, it seems) they should not be able to. I realize that Nintendo needed to correct the excessive spawning, but to the extent that I see hardly anything rare now is a bit far. Not to mention, this unfairly places all players into the same box, assuming everyone experienced high spawn rates. I for one fished for hours during rainstorms and afterwards, to catch nothing but sea bass. You cannot honestly tell me that accumulating Bells is equal to New Leaf because you could obtain 400k a night in beetles by spending a mere 1k on the island tours. Another point to add is the fish spawn has already been outrageously low (95% of the time I catch sea bass or black bass). On New Leaf fishing was difficult but at the very least I could catch Red Snapper more regularly than in NH.

So the answer is yes, Nintendo currently holds all of the cards in their hand. But do we really want that? Do players really want to be at the mercy of what the game developer decides, and nod blankly, obeying their rules to play the game the way they intended? We may as well be in kindergarten because you're expected to follow all of their orders and if someone steps out of line, you and your entire class is immediately punished. (I'm referring to the lowered interest rates, of course.)
but its not even about bug spawn rates. remember bunny day and how we kept getting egg ballons every 2 minutes? the game developers fixed that because they listened to us. they make nerf/buff things you may not like but part of their job description is to listen to players and adjust and balance things in the game.

Last edited:
Back