• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Should Nintendo Be Allowed to Revoke Features? (Poll)

Should Nintendo be allowed to revoke features via updates?

• Yes

Votes: 192 67.6%
  • No

Votes: 92 32.4%

• Total voters

fuzzybug

Olivia is life
Bells
Timmy Christmas Doll
Blue Feather
Yellow Candy
Yellow Candy
Cake
Cake
Cake
Ice Cream Swirl (TBT Beach Party)
Popsicle (TBT Beach Party)
Silver Mailbox
Should Nintendo really be allowed to rip features away to punish everyone for playing the game the way they want to? Making Bells was already not that easy, and to lower spawn rate for bugs and fish is frankly disgusting. It shouldn't be any of their business how we consumers play a game we paid for. And mind you, this is a $60 game, not a mobile phone app in which we're at the mercy of the game developer and their poor choice of updates. The idea that any game developer could take away from my game play is unacceptable, and something must be done before Nintendo ruins the game entirely.

If you answer yes, what's going to stop other game developers from overreaching in various games, apps, and other technology? Do you really want to succumb to their power and hand over that freedom?

Last edited:
yeah i think it sucks that theyve made turnip trade the only viable way to make money because like that ****s hard and not necessarily fun for everyone. nintendo has always had this "we put so much work into curating this product for you so you have to play it in the way that we've intended it" mindset and i get that its definitely influenced by their culture but that doesnt make it okay especially when ur making games for a western audience. its jsut wild. im hoping it doesnt get too out of control.

Um...
The fish/bug spawn rate was way too high for certain bugs and fish. Idk if you played any previous games but tarantulas and peacock butterflies were never as common as they were in NH.

Its... nintendos game. They can update and change it however they want. I dont see how this took away from your gameplay that much. Making money isnt difficult in NH at all. It's not unfair for a game to fix serious balance issues.
This isnt like previous titles where you get what you get. This title is more like minecraft in the frequent content updates and bug fixes. Not sure what you expected when nintendo stated their frequent update intention prior to release.

Yea it was $60 but I mean. Do your research before you buy a game?

1. lowering the interest wasn't a good move. interest was really low anyway, practically insignificant for all players, especially real time players, so unless there was a motive other than "stop the time travelers", it was a stupid move. but the rug was cool.

2. bug and fish rates weren't nerfed to hurt real time players or anything. it was because rare bugs weren't rare. peacock butterflies were everywhere, tarantulas and emperor butterflies pracitically took over my island in march. the rare stuff needs to be rare. i caught multiple coelacanths within a month of playing and that's supposed to be the rarest fish. doesn't seem quite right lol

Making Bells was already not that easy, and to lower spawn rate for bugs and fish is frankly disgusting.
This wasn't anything to do with bells - the nerfed the spawn rate of rarer bugs so that they're actually rarer. It's only frustrating for people because they were (albeit unknowingly) taking advantage of a bug.

Unfortunately, that's just how it works. Games are designed a specific way, by teams of many people, and are expected to play a certain way. We're given a lot of freedom in Animal Crossing to do a lot of stuff how we want to - but that doesn't mean the game is a free for all, the developers and designers that made the game had a very specific vision for it and and very specific balancing rules and will do what they can to keep the balance of the game right - even if that means fixing bugs you had just so happened to enjoy as a feature.

they made the game, they can do whatever they want lol imo, they've already accommodated many things that fans had asked for from new leaf.
patches occur to FIX things. the bug spawn rate wasn't taking something away, it was a fix.

I don't really see this situation as them "ripping features away to punish anyone". I think at this point, they are simply trying to restore balance to the economy. The fact that they are trying to make things better is a good thing. A lot of game companies would just turn the other way if a games economy went to pieces and just let the players try to deal with it. So I think it's nice they are making an attempt to try to fix it.

Now I don't trade a lot, so I can't fully say in what way the economy was broken other than people taking advantage of the dupe glitch in the first week, so I'm glad they are trying to clean that mess up. And people have found ways to also dupe nook mile tickets and are selling them on ebay, so I guess they are also trying to adjust that too?

As much as it would suck, they have every right to do so. We are not purchasing the game, we are merely purchasing a license to play the game. Nintendo is the sole owner of the hardware, and can do as they please with it.

Will they revoke features? Likely not, but drastic measures have made them play their hand in the past.

Perhaps they could go the extra mile and make it where tarantulas never spawn in mystery islands except for the legit tarantula island.

I believe they want to do this so players can have the longevity of this game if they wanted to 100% this even longer. I'll say yes.

Should they remove features? No, not usually.

Should they be able/allowed to remove features? Of course. it's their game, and they get to decide when changing something is necessary.

Now, in the case of the interest rate, I think nerfing it was a stupid and useless decision that won't discourage TTing (if that was their goal), and makes storing money in the ABD even more pointless than it already was. But should they have the right to make that decision? Yes, of course. It doesn't mean I'll agree with or support their choice, though.

As for the spawn rate, I think the changes are completely fine. I now get higher rates of different insects, and it feel much more natural than seeing 20 of the same butterfly in my town at a time, or a man-faced bug one every other flower. I like it better now that I seem to see a wider variety of insects.

Games are not made to please consumers. They're made to make money. They're 'allowed' to do what they deem is right for the game.
As it stands the amount of bells flowing in was deemed unbalanced and needed to be fixed. It's the same way that the villager plot glitch needed to be fixed, balancing is something that is incredibly important to gameplay experiences especially one with a full economy that exists online.

Yes, 100% they are allowed and should be making these changes.

It doesn't matter much if it was supposed to be a "fix" because the fact stands that the spawn rate has been the way it is since the game came out. They shouldn't be able to reach into my game and just take whatever they want. The little control freaks they are should not have the ability to force people to play the game the way THEY want them to.

And just because they are currently allowed, does not mean they should be. It may be a video game but I shouldn't be forced to change my game play on their account.

We are not purchasing the game, we are merely purchasing a license to play the game.
This is actually a really good point - an important one that I think most people don't consider when it comes to that "I bought it, they shouldn't be allowed to control it!" mentality. Understanding this is what changes your perspective on how game developers treat their games, imo.

The little control freaks they are should not have the ability to force people to play the game the way THEY want them to.

it's their game...that they made and designed....of course you're going to play "the way they want you to". if the changes upsets you this much it might be helpful to your own mental health to take a break from acnh for a while.

Back