• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Should Nintendo Be Allowed to Revoke Features? (Poll)

Should Nintendo be allowed to revoke features via updates?

• Yes

Votes: 192 67.6%
  • No

Votes: 92 32.4%

• Total voters
Should they be allowed? Yes. Should they? That's another question entirely.

They didn't actually revoke any features, though, they merely adjusted the data for them. Companies do it all the time for balance. This is the first AC game where they could easily do so. There was no game for the Wii U, and the 3DS required a separate download for every patch from the eShop. With the Switch, they can automatically update it.

The spawn change is a bit disappointing, but I think everyone can agree that Tarantulas were waaaaaay too common when compared with the other games. I am not surprised by this at all. The interest rate change was the oddest one, as you had to have A LOT of Bells already to make use of it. If anything, turnips need to be adjusted because they've made Bells a joke. Unfortunately, if they adjust it now, it's the newer players who will suffer as a result, and nobody was cheating when it came to turnips like they were witht he duping glitch.

Every time someone complains about the bug spawns or that they can't use the tarantula island exploit, I just can't help but think people just want to make as much bells as fast as possible. Is it annoying to have a money source nerfed? Sure. But acting as if nintendo are some control freaks is actually pretty childish. There are many ways to make money in this game. Catching bugs is just one of them. You can fish, plant foreign fruit trees and sell the fruit, the money rock and money tree you can get every day, sell hot items at nooks, etc.

I am in the southern hemisphere, so the changes don't affect me. I tend to catch paper kite butterflies, orchid mantises, wasps and hermit crabs while I do stuff around my island. I could never see tiger beetles around. Now I can catch and sell those too. I did look at the changes and think they nerfed the peacock butterflies a bit too much. They are around the price of orchid mantises, but a decent amount rarer.

Last edited:
Yea it was $60 but I mean. Do your research before you buy a game?
Exactly do research on a game before you buy it, I can understand why they don't want changes like bug rates but what is Nintendo meant to do? Keep this game where trading is really unfair or keep it balanced.

Just wanted to say that I caught 3 Coelacanths a few hours ago. If anything, they haven't changed the spawn rates for most of the fish. However, there's still a few that are ridiculously rare (Barreleye, Golden Trout and Stringfish, for example).

I really don't get it why they lowered the interest rate, and the only reason I can think of is as sketchy as Redd.
true on that, i feel like at this point they concider relatively rare + locked behind rain/snow good enough for coelacanth. however, i haven't seen a barreleye or golden trout at all. stringfish i've only seen once. doubt i'll ever get their models since i'm committed to getting them myself lol

Reactions: Raz
I voted yes after reading your post because the things you mentioned I do think they should have the ability to change. The bug and fish spawn rates were ridiculous. The "rare" bugs and fish were not rare at all really. They nerfed them to balance the game out the way they originally intended it to be released. The interest rate I will admit is odd since its always been the same AFAIK, but it didn't completely remove or revoke the feature, just lessened it.
If they were putting out updates that actually removed content like items, stores, activities it would be. an entirely different conversation.

Revoking a feature and a balance patch are two completely different things, at least, I think so. When I think of 'revoking a feature', I think of them removing a shop or the pattern kiosk or something. The recent balance patch didn't technically remove anything--it just changed a few numbers around so certain critters don't spawn as often. Which is fair enough, if they want to retain the 'rarity' of said critter.

I feel like the poll should've been: should Nintendo be allowed to deploy balance patches? Because as it stands, I feel the current poll is a bit misleading given the context of the thread.

Should Nintendo be allowed to, then? Well, yes. What power is going to tell them they're not allowed to adjust numbers? And to get into the nitty gritty of it, they're also allowed to 'revoke' features as well. Is it ethical? Perhaps not. But I don't anyone can really stop them if they chose to; the only recourse you'd have, in that situation, as a consumer is to make your voice heard and not buy any future Nintendo products.

the title of this is super misleading tbh, what they did with the bug spawn rates and interest is balance changes--ones i don't entirely agree with because i think they were a bit excessive (you can say "the rare bugs weren't rare enough!" but 90%? really?), but that's a completely different topic. they didn't entirely remove the ability to catch bugs or receive interest. when i saw the title of this i thought you meant "should they be allowed to do something like remove the art gallery or bushes?" in which case i would say no because yeah, they're technically allowed to because it's their game, but people would have every right to be angry and disappointed if they did that. balance changes are a way different conversation especially because they can be readjusted if nintendo decides this latest one isn't working.

How are people complaining about the spawn rate still?? I have over a 1000 hours in newleaf, and ive seen maybe 10 tarantula max trhough all these hours. And even after the update in this game ive already seen 3... for crying out loud i caught waaay to many oarfish to the point it doesn't even excite me anymore.

I actually think they couldve nerfed it harder. Back then when i saw a tarantula it felt special and rare! I miss that.

Also i think this has been the easiest game to make money to date. Sure everything costs a little more as well, but i feel im progressing a little easier through this game. You can sell wasps and mantis to flick, or big fish to CJ...

Just thought of something: it's not like they removed Flick, who really makes the bugs broken for money. They just cut appearances. It's like certain Pokemon games and the absolute glut of legendaries you can catch in them: at a certain point, rare stops being special.

I actually think they couldve nerfed it harder. Back then when i saw a tarantula it felt special and rare! I miss that.

That's a weird way to spell "terrifying", lol.

Dear OP, your title is truly misleading. There are no features revoked at all. Developers just change the spawn rate of the rare bugs. They are rare, not common. Just because you pay for the game doesn't mean you're entitled to everything. You pay to play the game, not the copyright. Developers and publishers have the right to change the game whether players like it or not. They don't owe you anything. The problem with AC players nowadays are they are impatient, want to be rich as soon as possible and feel entitled just cos they start playing since the first or second or which ever AC series. You want bells, work for it. Stop whining and just play the game like it is meant to be.

They realized the bug spawn rate was OP and fixed it. I see nothing wrong with that.

Developers are entitled to adjust and fix their own games, especially if they think that it is being exploited.

I think they really should for what I am isn't going to but I haven't done yet but the other thread for the animal crossing has staed something like this before and ultimately it's the developers decision for having to package a game full of prices while also handling the internet capacity of the process. Really makes u think

They're the designers of the game, so they know better than us what works and what doesn't work for an enjoyable experience. Plus, as someone has mentioned before, the spawn rate for bugs is still pretty high, I had never seen a tarantula before NH and I have played every game of the series since Wild World. Also, they should be allowed to remove or slightly alter features because sometimes they do it to prevent bugs or to fix them, which is not the case for the adjusting of bugs spawn rates but could be needed in the future.

Ok bug/fish spawns aside what about the duping trick? I never did it but was it hurting them to let people do it? No. Or how about in new leaf when people found ways to go outside the boundaries and they stopped that? That wasn't hurting anyone and it was fun for the players. Again not some thing I did but only because I found out too late. I just think if it's not hurting anyone and players want to do it let them. As for the stalk market it's a pain. I'm doing it now but this will be my last week because I work and it's a nuisance taking the switch with me to check the a.m. prices. And I'm sure some folks cant check it at work and kids cant check at school(maybe at lunch dk). Point is its not really doable for a lot of us. And I've looked at going to other peoples islands like on turnip.exchange and such but most people are asking insane prices to let someone come sell turnips.

I’m no game expert but the only thing I think about with things like this is it could potentially damage the game. You’re glitching the game into doing something it’s not meant to.

And besides, the dupping was damaging the AC online community and it’s effects can still be seen it the ridiculous prices people charge for stuff.

At the end of the day, it’s Nintendo’s game. Not yours, not mine. They can give and take what ever the want from the series and we have no say over that. Because we chose to support them and their decisions the moment we paid for the game.

i think something to keep in mind is that nintendo has every motivation to make the game MORE enjoyable. they're not trying to punish or spite us. they are just trying to make the most well-rounded game they can. so yes, i think the updates are fine

Back