• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do you thinking profanity should be allowed on the forums?

Uncensored profanity?

• Total voters
That is a true statement sir. Legally children under 13 can't sign up for an online website.

That may be true, but they could be reading these forums without being logged in. If they see a bad word, the site will be responsible for not censoring words.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Yeah, the presence of topics like abortion confuse me here. Why in the world would someone go onto an Animal Crossing forum to discuss these problems? Is there literally no better place in the known universe to discuss them?

I feel guilty for tainting an innocent Animal Crossing site by talking about politics on this site (including my blog). But on the bright side, the mods and admins do not shut you down from expressing your beliefs. Facebook is doing it, Twitter is doing it, and even Pinterest is doing it (in fact, Pinterest doesn?t even want people accusing them of doing it). The Bell Tree only closes threads that get out of control.

i for one wouldnt care if they were uncensored but there are some people who dont like profanity and feel uncomfortable around it so i think its best if it stays censored

I don't really care but I'd say know! I'm known for cursing a lot so being on there actually forces me to talk without cursing which is great hehe!

yeah, most 13 year olds are okay with it and the forum has that age limit anyway but i guess you cant please all 13 year olds and some might still have nosey parents

i should have mentioned that this is more of a personal preference and realistically it probably shouldnt happen

Last edited:
Aside from the obvious reasons (eg creating a more hostile atmosphere and the high likelihood of being used aggressively) uncensored curse words can unfortunately trigger some parental blocks which could prevent some of our younger users from being able to navigate the forum properly.

no I don't think so. We can have discussions without the need for profanity. Despite swearing like a sailor in RL I rarely if at all use profanity on forums or online and I'm conscious of this due to the nature of AC in general attracting a younger audience

As a person who swears like a sailor irl, I kind of like that it is censored here. It keeps me in a positive mood and feels like a breath of fresh air. Really fits the mood of these games.

Given the theme of the boards, profanity is really unneeded, in my opinion. If you wanted to disable it in a couple if possible, that'd be one thing, but as a whole it's not needed.

honestly? i think it should be left as is. it's kinda the best of both worlds. if you wanna swear, censor it. it still gets your point across, people get what you mean. if you're too young to be exposed to that kind of thing, or youre just not into that, you dont have to see any of it! that way, everyone's happy:)

Profanity is already censored, so I do think its fine as it is. That doesn't mean though you swear the house down so excessively.

Adding onto that though, us older members also have a responsibility to set an example of how to behave when we are using the forums so we don't have a negative influence on younger members, because we're gonna be hit with a lot of new members closers to New Horizons release.

How about we change the swear filter to where if someone cusses, it is changed to a vegetable rather than asterisks. Even if the filters change bad words to asterisks, we still know what they’re trying to say. But I don’t know what they’re trying to say if they are vegetables.

Remember when we couldn’t say “Halloween” because every time we say it, the filters change it to Christmas?

Last edited:
I say no profanity. The Bell Tree is a positive environment and allowing profanity may alter that and make it become less appealing to some.

How about we change the swear filter to where if someone cusses, it is changed to a vegetable rather than asterisks. Even if the filters change bad words to asterisks, we still know what they’re trying to say. But I don’t know what they’re trying to say if they are vegetables.

Remember when we couldn’t say “Halloween” because every time we say it, the filters change it to Christmas?

So basically do what RuneScape did in the old days, swears got changed to "cabbage".

IMO, we can already curse on the forums. It's just...censored.

Censoring profanity feels like a comprise between not censoring it and out-right banning curse words in terms of removing the post with cursed words. Yes, it filters out the word but the mature members of the website can still understand what the cursed word is based on the context.

IMO, we can already curse on the forums. It's just...censored.

Censoring profanity feels like a comprise between not censoring it and out-right banning curse words in terms of removing the post with cursed words. Yes, it filters out the word but the mature members of the website can still understand what the cursed word is based on the context.

Yeah, the asterisks are fine as is, nothing needs to change here.

What the cucumber do you think you're doing you stupid tomato???

Whether or not these bad words need to be censored, people shouldn’t cuss anyway. It’s a bad habit in general. We shouldn’t even use the dolphin noise as a cuss word here.

Last edited:
Back