The Anime Thread

I finally made it to episode 14 of Haikyuu!! TO THE TOP. Which means I'm halfway through the final season of the series. I'll put my thoughts in spoilers.

First of all I thought it was fitting that Karasuno took the first match in two sets. It kind of proved that they were meant to be at nationals. Bokuto getting fired up and winning his match just because Hinata showed up was HILARIOUS! :LOL: Lastly, the match between Karasuno and Inarizaki High looks like it's going to be an absolute nail-biter!

I can't wait to watch more later and finish the series! 😁

I DID IT! I finished Haikyuu!! TO THE TOP, thereby finishing the series. I'll leave my brief thoughts in spoilers.

The way the match ended between Karasuno and Inarizaki was AMAZING! It basically showed off everything everyone had learned up to that point, capped off by Tobio and Hinata blocking the Miyan twins' quick for the final point of the game. If I was Hinata I wouldn't be able to just fall asleep after winning that either, that was epic!

And now for a series in review!

The series Haikyuu!! combines the quick action sport of volleyball and takes it to the next level with insane action. Not only that, but it explains the rules, nuances, and plays of the game as the show progresses. This, along with its stellar character cast and AWESOME soundtrack, propel it as a favorite even among people who aren't into sports anime. The series has very few flaws, and the character development is really good as well. Haikyuu!! scores a perfect 10/10 on the anime scale. Until next time. See ya!

I'm really looking forward to the release of the first movie in the west. It was recently released in Japan, so it should be coming over here at some point too. Can't wait! 😁

---

Now that my watchlist is clear again, I'll probably just work on finishing Pokemon Ultimate Journeys so I can start Pokemon Horizons. I already accomplished my first goal, which was to finish Haikyuu, so anything else I get watched between now and May when new seasons of MHA and Demon Slayer release is just extra.​

Started watching The Vision of Escaflowne. It's been on my watchlist for years and it's considered a classic. So when I got the chance to watch something new, I decided to take the plunge.

I had no idea what the series was about going in, but it is INCREDIBLE!

Girl who can read tarot cards gets sent to a fantasy world in the middle of a war and they fight with mechs.

Additionally, the art is soooo pretty! You got that 90s character designs and the backgrounds are painted beautifully with rich colors. Most of the backgrounds look like covers of old sci-fi or fantasy novels. Idk enough about mecha anime to describe how cool the mechs look but it's made by Sunrise and they look cool to me.

Escaflowne has it all it's just sooo good

Started watching The Vision of Escaflowne. It's been on my watchlist for years and it's considered a classic. So when I got the chance to watch something new, I decided to take the plunge.

I had no idea what the series was about going in, but it is INCREDIBLE!

Girl who can read tarot cards gets sent to a fantasy world in the middle of a war and they fight with mechs.

Additionally, the art is soooo pretty! You got that 90s character designs and the backgrounds are painted beautifully with rich colors. Most of the backgrounds look like covers of old sci-fi or fantasy novels. Idk enough about mecha anime to describe how cool the mechs look but it's made by Sunrise and they look cool to me.

Escaflowne has it all it's just sooo good
The movie is weird and crap.

Welcome to Demon School Iruma-kun looks fun.

Of course most of the stuff I like, people call underrated in the youtube comments.

I love welcome to demon school iruma-kun!! I honestly wasn’t expecting to enjoy it during the first episode or so cuz it seemed kinda generic but was pleasantly proven wrong. Overall just really enjoyable, light-hearted and funny anime 10/10

EEEEEEEEEEEE
giphy.gif

I finally finished up the anime I was watching during the winter season. It was only 2 different series, but it took me forever. I don't know what I'm going to do this season because there are at least 3 returning anime that I want to keep up with plus a few new ones I'd like to check out.

Anyway, here are my thoughts on the series I just wrapped up.

Meiji Gekken: 1874
This story takes place in the Meiji era when Japan was modernizing. The samurai were obsolete at this point and had to acclimate to a new way of life. However, some chose to fight this new regime. The country was in political and social turmoil. It's in this setting that a former samurai tries to build a life and locate his betrothed, whom he was separated from when their village was wiped out during a prior war. It could have been a great anime, but it fell flat for me. I never felt any emotional investment in the characters which resulted in me really not caring what happened to them. Such a great premise, but the execution could have been better. 5/10

The Witch and the Beast
I liked this one much better. A supernatural anime with a great soundtrack, an intriguing storyline, and interesting characters. The opening theme really sets the mood. I enjoyed the tension between the main characters and their cryptic backgrounds made me want to learn more. The story is told in smaller segments with a few episodes devoted to each sub-plot and the overarching main story carried throughout. My biggest complaint is that the ending feels a little anti-climactic. The final story arc is a very dramatic flashback, which I loved, but when it jumps back to the present it just kind of ambles to the end. There is a set up for a second season that sounds fun and I'll definitely check it out. Overall, nothing spectacular but a good solid anime. 8/10

I just finished watching the final episode of chapter 2 of Pocket Monsters 2023 (Pokémon Horizons). It was awesome! I put my review in spoilers in case you're watching the English dub on Netflix and don't want to be made aware of major plot details.
Like I said it was awesome! Lilo and Roy are capable battlers and so are Friede and Amethio! I will also miss Liko's Sprigatito, who evolved into Floragato in this episode. At least she didn't disobey her trainer like what Charmeleon did to Ash!
So now the kids have to go to Naranja Academy to learn the Terastal Phenomenon while the Rising Volt Tacklers fix the Brave Olivine. I can't wait to see what happens next, especially since the teachers from the games as well as Penny will appear according to the preview.
I doubt it is likely but I hope the main characters get to visit Kitakami at some point. Why? If they do, that means a certain boy could make his main anime debut!!

4U6EVk5.png

THIS JUST IN. THIS JUST IN. Haikyu!! The Battle of the Garbage Dump the movie is set to premiere in theaters on May 31st. The battle-tested Karasuno High School will be playing the "connecters" of Nekoma High School in a high-stakes volleyball match, and the loser LEAVES nationals. Catch it while you can! 😁

I'm watching a fandub of a Precure movie! The movie, released in 2016, is what the franchise calls an "All-Stars" film, which basically means every cure team (from 2004, when Futari Wa first aired, to the year of movie release, in this case Mahou Tsukai was the most recent) shows up. The fandub, if anyone wants to watch it, is below:

i’ve made a big dent in my “welcome to demon school iruma-kun” marathon and it feels kinda late to admit, but it’s a really lighthearted and fun watch :>
i think my favourite characters would be a tie between balam and opera! i also really love when sullivan turns into an doting egg

I'm seeing pre-orders for things I already have had for a while. Food Wars season 1 and some other manga. What is the deal? I've been waiting for a season 5 blu-ray DVD combo set for a while. Also Disney+ only has season 1.
Post automatically merged:

i’ve made a big dent in my “welcome to demon school iruma-kun” marathon and it feels kinda late to admit, but it’s a really lighthearted and fun watch :>
i think my favourite characters would be a tie between balam and opera! i also really love when sullivan turns into an doting egg
I'm wondering if the quality remains consistent. It doesn't seem like the type of show that would have pacing issues.

Last edited:
@LadyDestani

I changed my mind and actually ended up watching the first two recap episodes of MHA for season 7. I think they generally did pretty well with them, although if their intent was to introduce people who may have not seen all the episodes to the series more, they probably could have explained things a bit better. But all in all good recaps.

@LadyDestani

I changed my mind and actually ended up watching the first two recap episodes of MHA for season 7. I think they generally did pretty well with them, although if their intent was to introduce people who may have not seen all the episodes to the series more, they probably could have explained things a bit better. But all in all good recaps.
Cool! Thanks for the update! I might try to watch them before the new season because my memory is bad enough that a recap is never a bad idea for me anyway. Good to know they're done pretty well.

Definitely going to see that Haikyuu!! movie when it comes to theaters here. I’m glad it’s coming to the US. I’ve seen a lot more anime fans lately, at least ones displaying their love for it publicly. Really happy it’s not as taboo anymore. I know the movie will do well.

I went to a very red neck-ish pawn shop that smelled of motor oil, and found something called Diabolik Lovers for $10. It has bitter, angry vampire pretty boys. It looks like something that would appeal to specific type of tumblr user.

@LadyDestani

I am a devoted manga reader but way behind on the anime. I have to watch myself because so many are anime only and I'm like spoiled way ahead lol.

Also I'm now running around New Leaf as Izuku and NH as Aizawa lol

Just started Dungeon Meshi!! I wanted to watch it when it started coming out and I finally got around to it. I'm really excited, I've heard great things about it!

Back