• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Brewster's Banter - General Discussion

Yes. This is exactly the energy and level of detail I'm here for. Do go on, I am intrigued by the slang.

I was thinking that the current copyright laws are flawed and need to be fixed. Especially on the gaming industry.

The current laws state that a work will enter the public domain 75 years after the publication date (95 years for everything made between 1923-1977). But what it didn’t take into consideration is the availability of the work in the future. It makes sense that books should keep their copyright status for a long time since they can be reprinted and sold digitally. But video games are made for a certain platform, and such platforms get discontinued after being on the market too long. This leads to games going out of print, barring any chance of others experiencing them. Nintendo has been nice enough to let newer generations of gamers have access to their older titles through virtual console and Nintendo Switch Online, but for other games, once they’re out of print, they’re out.

Which gives me a new proposal. If a certain work, like a book, movie, song, or whatever, is available for subscription services or on the stores, the copyright holder gets to keep the copyright indefinitely. But once it’s no longer available in subscription services, and the work is out of print everywhere else, the copyright status is put on a lifeline. If it gets redistributed within the next ten years by the copyright holder, then the copyright gets renewed. But if it’s been over 10 years since it’s gone out of print, and has not been re-released or remastered, then it goes into the public domain. The copyright laws make a lot of sense because we don’t want digital pirates drawing the profits away from the creators or distributors who rightfully deserve the money for what they make, but if they’re not distributing it anymore, then they wouldn’t be making any money for it anyway. And some digital pirates aren’t even about stealing others’ works. They’re about letting everyone have a chance to experience it.

What do you think of my proposal? Is it a good idea or bad idea?

Something I don’t understand and would like someone’s input: why do some folks mention a TBT user but instead of @ing them directly they do @/[username]? If you aren’t @ing them, can’t you just say the username? is it so we understand it’s a TBT user, and not some random internet person? Or why not just @ them? So there isn’t a notification? I’m confused

So there isn’t a notification?
@'ing somebody on here does not give them a notification, for whatever reason. 🙄 I rarely use it, but when I do, it's for my convenience if I am mentioning someone from this forum. The text editor here prompts up their username for me instead of having to type it out entirely. 🤷‍♀️

@'ing somebody on here does not give them a notification, for whatever reason. 🙄 I rarely use it, but when I do, it's for my convenience if I am mentioning someone from this forum. The text editor here prompts up their username for me instead of having to type it out entirely. 🤷‍♀️
I have gotten a notification from an @… so that is why I mentioned it.

I have gotten a notification from an @… so that is why I mentioned it.
Really? I haven't. Someone responded to me once in a thread, but instead of quoting my post, they simply wrote a response with my username @'d in there. I didn't receive any notifications. 🤨 Not sure what's up with that then. 😅

If someone @s you, you SHOULD receive a notification saying "___ mentioned you" in a post. If you don't receive the notification, then it could be a forum or browser error.

As for the original question, it's to mention someone without actually notifying them. That's what the slash is for. So that other users will know you're referring to someone, but don't want to have a notification pop up for them (some people do not like to receive notifications).

If you don't receive the notification, then it could be a forum or browser error.
Pfft, yeah, tell me about "forum errors". 🙄 Must be my browser. I'll have a word with lil' Fire Fox when I catch his tail... 😠🦊 Thanks for clarity! I hope you like receiving notifications. Here's two! 😜 Call me Mr. Game & Watch the way I ring that bell! 🔔🔔🔔 Tell 'em to bring out the whole cement factory! 🗣️🗣️🗣️🏭 Say my name. 😎 Another one. ☝️ Another one. ☝️ Das rite... We numba' one... 'Preciate you, Midoriya. 😔🙏💯 GOD DID. 👍

i kinda went too far down the music rabbit hole, and discovered the best (in my opinion) anime ending theme ever:
(how does this series come up with the best songs ever)

Something I don’t understand and would like someone’s input: why do some folks mention a TBT user but instead of @ing them directly they do @/[username]? If you aren’t @ing them, can’t you just say the username? is it so we understand it’s a TBT user, and not some random internet person? Or why not just @ them? So there isn’t a notification? I’m confused
for me it's an old habit from tumblr and twitter, it's to mention someone by username without giving them a notification 'cause it can be annoying.

woah I just noticed the surge of ama threads in the basement- 30 within 3 pages is a LOT!
I considered making one, but after seeing that.. there's plenty already lol

woah I just noticed the surge of ama threads in the basement- 30 within 3 pages is a LOT!
I considered making one, but after seeing that.. there's plenty already lol
oh that's why they upped the cooldown by 400%... and some of yall were blaming the exposure threads smh

Back