• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Mafia TBT Mafia General Thread 4.0

i don’t think there’s much difference between a private forum with a discord server/quick topic/anything off forum with that logic

the best thing would be if TBT allowed users to make private threads but I don’t think that’s even been set up here
Actual forums are a little more permanent though, was my thinking. I dunno i might be overthinking it.

I do agree private forums and threads would be the best bet, but idk how hard it'd be to set that up here. It would necessitate mafia hosts be given certain powers beyond what we already get with closing threads.

Actual forums are a little more permanent though, was my thinking. I dunno i might be overthinking it.

I do agree private forums and threads would be the best bet, but idk how hard it'd be to set that up here. It would necessitate mafia hosts be given certain powers beyond what we already get with closing threads.
well, quicktopics (until they shut down) lasted forever and could be accessed whenever as long as you had the link. free forums have limited storage though so i don’t think it’s a feasible alternative anyway

well, quicktopics (until they shut down) lasted forever and could be accessed whenever as long as you had the link. free forums have limited storage though so i don’t think it’s a feasible alternative anyway
Right but like no one is palling around in old quicktopics, and like you said discords can be closed down and dumped into a pastebin if people want to clean their server/chat lists. Idk i just feel like there's a difference between being like "here's a link for a quick chat you can post in as a guest (or using your existing discord acct)" and "go register for this completely separate forum to play mafia here on this forum"

Which free forums? The main one I know has unlimited text posts with the storage limit being imposed on file uploads only.

Here's what happens when I copy and paste my recent 'mafia chat' with Tessa in the last game. Seeing as she was the only surviving mafia the other two didn't get a multi PM but this is how it looks if I just copy and paste the entire conversation without editing anything:

Nov 10, 2021
This is for your alignment only. Your flavor role will be sent at a future time once host gets around to it...it will definitely be before your first chance to die! He promises!

You are a mafia goon. You do not have any special abilities but after the third room phase you and any remaining team members will have the ability to kill one player at night and privately chat at that point in the game. You do not have a private chat during the room phases.

Your win condition is to equal or outnumber town.

Your team members are:

BetsySundrop
droqen

Quote Reply
Reactions:tessa.

[IMG alt="tessa."]https://www.belltreeforums.com/data/avatars/m/152/152476.jpg?1637906458[/IMG]
tessa.
eat

JoinedSep 17, 2020Posts2,135Bells2,136
Purple Candy

Friday the 13th Candy

Key to Bell Tree Manor

Friday the 13th Candy

Purple Candy
Purple Candy

Purple Bat Potion

Wallopoid

Swamp Potion

Green Candy
Feedback100% (13) +
Nov 10, 2021
So for my special ability thingy, can i choose to open the chat at any time or do i have to choose before the game starts?

Like Quote Reply

[IMG alt="Geoni"]https://www.belltreeforums.com/data/avatars/m/53/53290.jpg?1634977414[/IMG]
Geoni
aka Dad

JoinedJun 16, 2014Posts6,099Bells10,643Switch2886-7024-2025
Vesta

Tortimer

Jingle

Lucky

Jack

Coco

Ruby

Mint

Lobo

Isabelle
Feedback100% (38) +
Nov 10, 2021
Well the game has started and you know your alignment now so you can choose a person at any time. Obviously this is especially helpful since you turned out to be mafia. Whether you wanna talk to a teammate early, or choose a townie you're not in a room in to manipulate, or just someone you wanna be neighbors with cause you're friends, or completely at random...it's up to you.

Quote Reply

[IMG alt="tessa."]https://www.belltreeforums.com/data/avatars/m/152/152476.jpg?1637906458[/IMG]
tessa.
eat

Purple Candy

Friday the 13th Candy

Key to Bell Tree Manor

Friday the 13th Candy

Purple Candy
Purple Candy

Purple Bat Potion

Wallopoid

Swamp Potion

Green Candy
Feedback100% (13) +
Nov 11, 2021
Alright I've decided that I'd like to open tbe chat with Ace Marvel.

Like Quote Reply

[IMG alt="Geoni"]https://www.belltreeforums.com/data/avatars/m/53/53290.jpg?1634977414[/IMG]
Geoni
aka Dad

Vesta

Tortimer

Jingle

Lucky

Jack

Coco

Ruby

Mint

Lobo

Isabelle
Feedback100% (38) +
Nov 11, 2021
Sorry for the delay but I can see about setting up the chatzy in a few minutes.

Quote Reply

Geoni
aka Dad

Vesta

Tortimer

Jingle

Lucky

Jack

Coco

Ruby

Mint

Lobo

Isabelle
Feedback100% (38) +
Nov 12, 2021
8N8tNHJ.png

Full uncropped art submitted by Tessa:

Spoiler

Quote Reply

tessa.
eat

Purple Candy

Friday the 13th Candy

Key to Bell Tree Manor

Friday the 13th Candy

Purple Candy
Purple Candy

Purple Bat Potion

Wallopoid

Swamp Potion

Green Candy
Feedback100% (13) +
Nov 16, 2021
Now that droqens basically out im assuming theres no maf chat??

Like Quote Reply

Geoni
aka Dad

Vesta

Tortimer

Jingle

Lucky

Jack

Coco

Ruby

Mint

Lobo

Isabelle
Feedback100% (38) +
Nov 16, 2021
tessa. said:
Nope! Hey, at least you got your neighbor chat. Also, I know soloing seems like it may be daunting but it's definitely possible to still win. All you need is good spirit.

Please have your kill sent in ASAP so you don't forget. Nights are going to be 12 hours.

Quote Reply

tessa.
eat

Purple Candy

Friday the 13th Candy

Key to Bell Tree Manor

Friday the 13th Candy

Purple Candy
Purple Candy

Purple Bat Potion

Wallopoid

Swamp Potion

Green Candy
Feedback100% (13) +
Nov 16, 2021
Geoni said:
Nope! Hey, at least you got your neighbor chat. Also, I know soloing seems like it may be daunting but it's definitely possible to still win. All you need is good spirit.

Please have your kill sent in ASAP so you don't forget. Nights are going to be 12 hours.
Yes i can do this
Dang i was really excited to tell my team i won the neighboring ability lol i had a whole evil plan but now i must go solo
Anyway i'll take a bit to think about my nk.:devilish:

Like Quote Reply

tessa.
eat

Purple Candy

Friday the 13th Candy

Key to Bell Tree Manor

Friday the 13th Candy

Purple Candy
Purple Candy

Purple Bat Potion

Wallopoid

Swamp Potion

Green Candy
Feedback100% (13) +
Nov 16, 2021
alright actually idek ima just make up the killing format

kill: damniel

Like Quote Reply

Geoni
aka Dad

Vesta

Tortimer

Jingle

Lucky

Jack

Coco

Ruby

Mint

Lobo

Isabelle
Feedback100% (38) +
Nov 16, 2021
Confirmed. If you change your mind on this kill simply resubmit by 4am EST.

Obviously you have to remember to delete attachments before posting this in an endgame spoiler but it's somewhat easy to follow. I don't think hosts should be pressured to clean it up any further than...say, a pastebin version of this however:

Geoni
Nov 10, 2021
This is for your alignment only. Your flavor role will be sent at a future time once host gets around to it...it will definitely be before your first chance to die! He promises!

You are a mafia goon. You do not have any special abilities but after the third room phase you and any remaining team members will have the ability to kill one player at night and privately chat at that point in the game. You do not have a private chat during the room phases.

Your team members are:

BetsySundrop
droqen

Quote ReplyReport
Like Reactions:tessa.
tessa.
tessa.
eat
JoinedSep 17, 2020
Posts2,135
Bells2,136
Purple Candy Friday the 13th Candy Key to Bell Tree Manor Friday the 13th Candy Purple Candy Purple Candy Purple Bat Potion Wallopoid Swamp Potion Green Candy
Feedback100% (13) +
Nov 10, 2021
So for my special ability thingy, can i choose to open the chat at any time or do i have to choose before the game starts?

Like Quote ReplyReport
Geoni
Geoni
aka Dad
JoinedJun 16, 2014
Posts6,099
Bells10,643
Switch2886-7024-2025
Vesta Tortimer Jingle Lucky Jack Coco Ruby Mint Lobo Isabelle
Feedback100% (38) +
Nov 10, 2021
Well the game has started and you know your alignment now so you can choose a person at any time. Obviously this is especially helpful since you turned out to be mafia. Whether you wanna talk to a teammate early, or choose a townie you're not in a room in to manipulate, or just someone you wanna be neighbors with cause you're friends, or completely at random...it's up to you.

Quote ReplyReport
Love Reactions:tessa.
tessa.
tessa.
eat
JoinedSep 17, 2020
Posts2,135
Bells2,136
Purple Candy Friday the 13th Candy Key to Bell Tree Manor Friday the 13th Candy Purple Candy Purple Candy Purple Bat Potion Wallopoid Swamp Potion Green Candy
Feedback100% (13) +
Nov 11, 2021

Like Quote ReplyReport
Geoni
Geoni
aka Dad
JoinedJun 16, 2014
Posts6,099
Bells10,643
Switch2886-7024-2025
Feedback100% (38) +
Nov 11, 2021

Quote ReplyReport
Like Reactions:tessa.
Geoni
Geoni
aka Dad
JoinedJun 16, 2014
Posts6,099
Bells10,643
Switch2886-7024-2025
Feedback100% (38) +
Nov 12, 2021

Spoiler

Quote ReplyReport
tessa.
tessa.
eat
JoinedSep 17, 2020
Posts2,135
Bells2,136
Feedback100% (13) +
Nov 16, 2021

Like Quote ReplyReport
Geoni
Geoni
aka Dad
JoinedJun 16, 2014
Posts6,099
Bells10,643
Switch2886-7024-2025
Feedback100% (38) +
Nov 16, 2021
tessa. said:

Quote ReplyReport
tessa.
tessa.
eat
JoinedSep 17, 2020
Posts2,135
Bells2,136
Feedback100% (13) +
Nov 16, 2021
Geoni said:

Yes i can do this
Dang i was really excited to tell my team i won the neighboring ability lol i had a whole evil plan but now i must go solo

Like Quote ReplyReport
tessa.
tessa.
eat
JoinedSep 17, 2020
Posts2,135
Bells2,136
Feedback100% (13) +
Nov 16, 2021

Like Quote ReplyReport
Geoni
Geoni
aka Dad
JoinedJun 16, 2014
Posts6,099
Bells10,643
Switch2886-7024-2025
Feedback100% (38) +
Nov 16, 2021

Idk what the character limit is for posts on the forum but it'll definitely be much larger than this if you have multiple mafia members chatting and it would be a lot to ask a host to snip apart all the junk from every exchange if there end up being hundreds. That's worse case scenario with our current population and game lengths but just thinking of the biggest quantity you can expect to deal with if you went with this method. I copied and pasted my mafia chat multi PM during b100s game and it was not long at all and yet it took waaay too much work to just screenshot everything.

Edit: I highlighted just the content and didn't highlight the junk but that still takes time and deleting all junk. And quotechains make it really hard to follow at times. If I really took like five to ten minutes I could probably break it down a little better but the quotechain issue would remain. Idk. If you make it a rule to make sure mafia don't quote each other in the conversation for the sake of endgame pasting it's somewhat doable maybe? Still requires a lot of work from host after endgame post.

Edit 2: This probably only works for mafia chat considering the five person limit for conversations so you still need something different for GY.

Edit 3: Lemme timetest how long it takes for this ten post convo to be snipped down correctly:

Geoni
Nov 10, 2021

Your team members are:

BetsySundrop
droqen

tessa.

Nov 10, 2021
Geoni

Nov 10, 2021

tessa.

Nov 11, 2021

Geoni

Nov 11, 2021

Geoni

Nov 12, 2021
8N8tNHJ.png

Spoiler

tessa.

Nov 16, 2021

Geoni

Nov 16, 2021
tessa. said:

tessa.

Nov 16, 2021
Geoni said:

Yes i can do this

tessa.

Nov 16, 2021

Geoni

Nov 16, 2021

Bout three minutes for the ten messages.

Last edited:
I think I figured out a very backwards way of mass importing DMs easily. This does rely on some level of trust from the host to not edit things but here's what I did. I don't know how this would look for bigger chains of comments. You will need to spoiler them for space saving reasons.

1. Open the DM.
2. Manually, in order add all the posts in to multi quote.
3. In that DM conversation, paste the quotes in to the DM text box. Multi quote will not let you paste DMs on to threads directly.
4. Copy that from the DM text box and paste it on to preferred thread.

I've archived two whole pages of my old maf chat with Ace in way less than five minutes with no editing required. I think it reads extremely well too. Here is what it looks like. Feel free to laugh at how nervous I was about wolfing too while we're at it.

Notes I've made- Quote chains will break with this method. Ban quote chaining to fix this. I stress tested the multi-quote feature and it can quote at least 7 whole pages at once. No idea how much further it goes.

You two are the mafia team! Good luck!

You two can talk in whichever medium you prefer (discord, quick topic, or just here in the dms). Whatever you decide, let me know if I need to setup a server/chat.
Oh boy. I guess my first proper game will be as mafia.

Ace, you fine with using this dm as a communication method?

Also I have no idea what I'm doing so if you need to throw me under the bus at any point go for it.
Hey Sheep! I will try my best to make this a great first game for you.

Yeah I'm okay with DM. I can also use discord if you like that.

First tip we are only 2 people so play the game thinking you don't know who the mafia team is.
If you have any doubts feel free to ask.

Disclaimer, I'm not the best mafia player.
I try to keep my discord only for personal stuff so DMs work better for me.

I think since this is my first actual mafia game I can get away with looking dumb anyway. I'll still try to post so I look active though.

There are also a lot of other new people who I'm not too worried about. Geoni scares me though lol
I'm not sure if getting rid of geoni or volt n1 would be clever even if they're scary though. I feel like they would know mafia has at least one veteran player if we did that since the newbies wouldn't know to be scared of them.

Obviously too early to decide who we get rid of but I just had a passing though so I thought I'd share.
Okay we communicate here :)

And hold your horses, let's see how the day goes. We have 48 hours to decide.
If I'm ever the vote, you bus me like there is no tomorrow, don't wait till is too late. Townread someone and follow them.
Got it. I'll be nervous if I have to maf alone but that's better than losing.

Also I opened this message before the thread and I was so worried for a moment like oh boy what did Ace do while I was asleep. asdfgh
If I'm talking too much let me know btw
I figure it's better if I keep talking to earn trust
It's better :) I have an aggressive stance as you've seen from previous games, that could back fire. Normally and especially new wolves tend to be low posters.
Thread not moving is a big advantage for mafia, we don't wan't that, if the thread ever starts to be stagnant, post something.
Got it. I'll keep that in mind. I'm trying to play this very much as I would a town game so just dumping any thoughts that pass by. If it gets too quiet I can easily keep doing that.

I was actually going to call bl00m out for the not-very-great logic but you beat me to it. Didn't wanna just dogpile over it too much since it's a pretty meaningless post to dissect further.

At least bl00m and armadillo will most likely get voted off by other townies if both of them keep this up which is a win for us. ✌
Yes I agree, if we manage to vote them off D1 and D2

we will end up at 5 players and we only need one other.

But never get confident lol that's the downfall of wolves every single time.
I'm the opposite of confident lol
Pretty much just winging it right now which seems to be working but it's d1 so that's nothing too special.

I'm also a bit nervous about detective possibly being a more experienced player since they might immediately target you just because Ace being suspicious is the norm.
Yeah don't worry about it yet.

And being overconfident in general during the game, I meant that. :)
Is Armadillo soft confirming being Detective rn or just being weird
I'm like about to pass out its like 3 am soon.
Should I try to give some possibly horrible reads now to seem authentic or wait until tomorrow. I think if I don't say anything people will assume I passed out anyway given I did tell Tessa it was getting late. I did promise to try and say before I head off earlier today so not sure what the play here is.
Nah, you could wait, it's believable that you worked on them during the morning/night.

Just don't town read me.

Use from the games I watched Ace idk blah blah blah.
I'll take your word for it because I would need to re-read so many people to form proper opinions on them if I'm going to remain in-character and I'm deceased rn

I was also already going to read you as neutral with possibly slight maf lean. I'm not townreading you because I have 0 reason to given how I've acted.

If anything comes up while I'm sleeping you need me to know before I post tomorrow morning then leave it here
I will have a little back and forth with Geoni.

This might be the case. I would like to kill armadillo at night.
I am down for that.
It seems like a new player trying to breadcrumb very badly.
Worst case scenario is even if she isnt detective it's a pretty widely town read person gone still.
The I don't trust myself, I have a plan, I need more info posts scream cop lol
I will vote volt.

I think your vote is fine. :)
My kneejerk reaction was to ask for you to explain that vote in the thread given I already pointed out you ignored the volt/tessa situation earlier.

Should I ask about it to earn town points or keep my distance.
I just explained my reasoning lol
We did good :) Great work.

I think we are in a good place.

Lets wait for the flip and then pick a target.
And it was b100m as normal townie.
I'm still down to get rid of Armadillo for the detective vibes.
Awesome, Volt can be a nice D2 target

That leaves us at 5 players

If we get the detective tonight, we will have a good path to victory.
@Damniel we want to kill Armadillo please. :)
Just letting you know I will probably be busy til the start of D2 sorry
No problem lol

I also just realized I'm technically now Wolf Villager & I'm mad I can't tell anyone else this joke.
Ace you better laugh or I'm bussing you.
you are now a wolf in sheep's clothing lol
If we hit detective today I will post I suspected it, because of the soft claims, depending on the reactions you should agree with me or not. Also I recommend you try to not agree Geoni in some points in a subtle way, he will probably will find me, so don't just follow him or he will think you are sleeping to distance, I think.

But let's see how the day goes.
Damn Vanilla townie, we were wrong, but is okay.
I already admitted I've deathtunneled people who are in charge in previous games during spectating so I think I can get away with disagreeing with Geoni slightly lol
Ah that's too bad. At least it's one pretty commonly town-read person gone.
I have no idea who the detective could be.
I guess just try to see what people act like today.
If detective ends up being one of the more experienced players I feel they might check you.

Last edited:
And for good measure here is a visual guide to people who have never used multi quote on how to do what I just did with multi quote.
GJQO1SL.png

ujDZNaX.png

eT9L74H.png

eSiz7IZ.png

Honestly the future really is just via discord.

I think the whole reason why we aren't just going with discord right off the bat is a few players have expressed not having access to it. Given how small the mafia community on here is it's a good idea to have an alternative that works when players without access want to play.

And for good measure here is a visual guide to people who have never used multi quote on how to do what I just did with multi quote.
Hey this is nifty! Looks easy enough for maf chat use. For graveyard though- a lot to transfer, and would need to be able to add people to it as they croaked. Is that possible with dm?
(And thank you for the multi quote demo- it works on mobile for me. Never knew how to use that feature... 😅 Much easier than what I was doing...)

Hey this is nifty! Looks easy enough for maf chat use. For graveyard though- a lot to transfer, and would need to be able to add people to it as they croaked. Is that possible with dm?
(And thank you for the multi quote demo- it works on mobile for me. Never knew how to use that feature... 😅 Much easier than what I was doing...)

Checked and you can invite people to DMs while they're on-going - the issue we have now is that there is a cap of 6 people per group DM. I don't think DMs would work for graveyards/obs for that reason... at least maf chat would work via DM with my method.

No problem btw, the multi quote system is a bit fickle, it took me ages to figure it out.

No the discord thing is mainly that some of the tbt users that are teens, but not adults aren’t allowed to use it because it’s harmful or whatever. That’s the case for ghost and I.
Also our phones will just say “invalid link”.

An option, but not a great one since it requires players to make itch.io accounts: it's very easy to make a little one-off password-protected subforum there, under a 'project'. normally these are used for games but they can be used for pretty much anything!

https://droqen.itch.io/tbt-mafia-test-chatoom the password is testing

you do have to make an itch.io account to post, but not to view.

An option, but not a great one since it requires players to make itch.io accounts: it's very easy to make a little one-off password-protected subforum there, under a 'project'. normally these are used for games but they can be used for pretty much anything!

https://droqen.itch.io/tbt-mafia-test-chatoom the password is testing

you do have to make an itch.io account to post, but not to view.
Noice! I really like this one. +1 for games.

Works, good format. Is there any limit to how far can scroll back?
Nope! These mini forums are meant to be permanent little community companions for long-term releases, so as long as itch.io doesn't radically change their policies, they will live and be fully accessible for free, forever. We'd just be piggybacking on a small feature of a larger service.

Thanks @Sheep Villager insert me saying 'Doh!' because I didn't just...think of that. And yeah quotechaining is messed up even in threads lol, one thing I don't like about xenforo, although I understand it helps prevent the 10th quote in the chain from

lo
ok
in
g
li
ke
t
hi
s.
Post automatically merged:

I think graveyards/obs will simply have to be discord though.

Well, hello, apologies for wading into this conversation, just thought I'd rejoin this thing after a long absence, and that General was the right place to put it.

I specifically logged back into this forum because i missed Mafia with you all; putting my analysis into Quicknotes, e.t.c. Sad to hear it's gone actually, that thing was useful.

I'll probably join next game as someone just watching, before I feel good enough to get into the real thing.

Mafia is dead and we killed it
Ping Dan and Misty for a new game to go for a revival? The Mario themed one just ended and those two were next in line I believe. Idk how many people are around but maybe a mass ping invite will wake people up or at least get a status update on how busy all the regulars are.

Probably better to discuss in the queue thread tho.

if being busy is why people aren't playing, would people be interested in a game with very long phase times? 5 weekday day/2 days of night during the weekend. This would be designed to be much more low commitment, where you only have to dedicate half an hour or so to reading a day to be caught up. would a more casual game with this type of phase length work? let me know what people think of this design

Back