The Anime Thread

Forgot to mention I finally got caught up on the last few episodes of My Hero Academia. I'm sure I'll be watching the season again but dubbed before the next season begins.

In other news I'm almost back to where I was in Hunter X Hunter so I'm excited to finally get to some new content. :)

Saw a youtube video title mentioning a printer paper shortage having an effect of the comic and tabletop industries. Then I noticed a couple manga I was going to preorder for December now have a March date. I'm guessing rightstuf isn't getting a restock of volume 4 of [something I know I can't mention here] any time soon.

Hey! I’m looking for some sad/nostalgic animes! Any recommendations? For the record I’ve seen: Orange, Erased, Clannad, Evangelion.
Air. You'll cry your eyes out.

"Goal!"

Not as cry-worthy as Clannad, but it's still originally by the same company (Key) and I think the same anime studio too (KyoAni). I like Kanon a lot more, but in terms of "sad" anime, Air is still much more tearjerking IMO.

I guess it really depends on how sad you wanna go, because I don't want to recommend you anything that just makes you feel depressed and drained ("Now and Then, Here and There", or "Grave of the Fireflies"), so I'm just recommending you stuff that makes you laugh and cry at the same time.

5 Centimeters per Seconds is pretty good too, but again, not as cry-worthy, more like a bittersweet romance.

Those titles are the usual go-to for tearjerking anime titles, but there are also non-traditional, non-drama anime like the sci-fi Steins;Gate and the shounen Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood that contain many, many tearjerking scenes, but aren't really like your typical Clannad and Angel Beats and Anohana (the former is full of goofy moments until the midpoint, and the latter... well, it's shounen, so there's lots of action scenes and megalomaniacal cheesy supervillains), so I'm not sure how much you'd like them.

Madoka Magica made me cry quite a bit too, but again, not really your traditional drama anime like Clannad. It's a magical girl anime, so there's lots of magic battles and stuff, not to mention just how dark and depressing it can get (not nearly as much as "Grave", but still), so it might not be your thing either. lol

Last edited:
Air. You'll cry your eyes out.

"Goal!"

Not as cry-worthy as Clannad, but it's still originally by the same company (Key) and I think the same anime studio too (KyoAni). I like Kanon a lot more, but in terms of "sad" anime, Air is still much more tearjerking IMO.

I guess it really depends on how sad you wanna go, because I don't want to recommend you anything that just makes you feel depressed and drained ("Now and Then, Here and There", or "Grave of the Fireflies"), so I'm just recommending you stuff that makes you laugh and cry at the same time.

5 Centimeters per Seconds is pretty good too, but again, not as cry-worthy, more like a bittersweet romance.

Those titles are the usual go-to for tearjerking anime titles, but there are also non-traditional, non-drama anime like the sci-fi Steins;Gate and the shounen Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood that contain many, many tearjerking scenes, but aren't really like your typical Clannad and Angel Beats and Anohana (the former is full of goofy moments until the midpoint, and the latter... well, it's shounen, so there's lots of action scenes and megalomaniacal cheesy supervillains), so I'm not sure how much you'd like them.

Madoka Magica made me cry quite a bit too, but again, not really your traditional drama anime like Clannad. It's a magical girl anime, so there's lots of magic battles and stuff, not to mention just how dark and depressing it can get (not nearly as much as "Grave", but still), so it might not be your thing either. lol
Thank you! I’ll look into them! I have seen 5 cm per second and Steins Gate as well (loved them, totally in my alley!)

Hey! I’m looking for some sad/nostalgic animes! Any recommendations? For the record I’ve seen: Orange, Erased, Clannad, Evangelion.
I second several of the other recommendations you've gotten but wanted to add Violet Evergarden and To Your Eternity (Fumetsu no Anata e). Both are very moving and emotional anime that are high on my list of new favorites.

Another anime that's not talked about much but has some sadness without being overly depressing is Somali and the Forest Spirit. It reminds me of a Miyazaki film and I highly recommend it.

I went to see the new My Hero Academia movie, World Heroes' Mission, in theaters today and it was a lot better than I was expecting! I wasn't a huge fan of the first two movies but this one was pretty good. I didn't like Rody all that much at first but he really grew on me towards the end and Deku in a bucket hat is his best look so far loll. It also was just really cool to see the characters in action on the big screen rather than my laptop xD

Is there anyone here that can help me sort out the Tenchi stuff? I'm mostly looking for the first series on ebay, titled Tenchi Muyo ova, I think. Then there's Tenchi Muyo Ryo Ohki. I'm reading conflicting things about it. It doesn't help that 2 different companies released it. I have Tenchi Universe and Tenchi in Tokyo.

And there it goes, the most renowned anime often cited as the greatest anime ever existed (far more than Ghost in the Shell, yes), now a live action adaptation... yikes.

And yet, hey, that's pretty good. Cowboy Bebop's never really my favorite anime (BOO! Boo this man!), but this got me excited.

You sung along too when the theme song came in. Come on, admit it. So altogether now, 3 2 1, LET'S JAM!

And there it goes, the most renowned anime often cited as the greatest anime ever existed (far more than Ghost in the Shell, yes), now a live action adaptation... yikes.

And yet, hey, that's pretty good. Cowboy Bebop's never really my favorite anime (BOO! Boo this man!), but this got me excited.

You sung along too when the theme song came in. Come on, admit it. So altogether now, 3 2 1, LET'S JAM!
I see Pierrot Le Fou. That's from episode 20. If they're going in order, that means Ed may be in there. Twitter has been having a fit about Ed.

I've been behind on anime this season and last, but I've managed to keep up with Blue Period, and so far I adore it! I like all the mental dilemmas the MC has about being an artist and going to art school, and also the informative bits about making art.

I've also watched an episode of My Senpai is Annoying, and so far I find it pretty cute. As a very short adult who is treated as a child, I can relate to Futaba's struggle.

No episode of Demon Slayer this week, unfortunately. Episode four of the first arc of season two should debut this next Sunday.

In other news I’m still making my way through Naruto Shippuden season three… I think not watching a bunch of shows this year compared to the last couple years has really helped me progress through it quicker.

I've been watching Blue Period with a friend of mine who is going to school for art and I figured she would relate to the show... and she has... but the episodes are hitting her a little too close to home, so we've been having to take it slow (still on ep 2). We've both been enjoying so far, it really does give you a lot to think about and reflect on even if your career path has nothing to do with art.

I've also been watching Mieruko-chan, and I love it. I love the juxtaposition of how bright, colorful, and well animated the characters are compared to how dark and messy the ghosts look. Plus one of my favorite genres is horror, but this is my first comedy-horror. PSA there's fanservice

Kaiji is another show I'm starting to watch, it's an older show but everyone whose seen it always gives it high praises. I've been taking it really slow with this one... it's very dialogue heavy in an analytical way, but I am looking forward to seeing how the show develops.

Started to rewatch Soul Eater today. Oh how I missed watching this show. I’ve got to start the manga one day when I can. It’s one of my favorites since it’s one of the ones I had started with years ago.

1636008852111.jpeg
1636008902717.png

I suddenly noticed how much Sasha reminds me of Momiji from Fruits Basket and now you cannot convince me they aren't the same person d:

Recently watched takt.op destiny and I’m in love with the art/animation. The back story on the characters made me cry like a baby which I guess isn’t abnormal for me but it’s pretty good so far! Can’t wait to see how it progresses

Back