The Anime Thread

Monster is definitely one of the greats. Most of 2000s and even the 1990s anime are great compared to the 2010s. You'll never, ever get another anime on the level of Cowboy Bebop. Period.

Then of course, there were the experimental anime like Serial Experiment Lain, Boogiepop Phantom, and even Ghost in the Shell. The spin-off series, Stand Alone Complex, was less experimental but just a lot more confusing with its political jargon. Still a nice psychological series though. And don't forget, Kino's Journey, an optimistic series that celebrates the beauty in humanity's ugliness, giving us the quote, "The world is beautiful because it isn't."

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, based on a series of visual novels (or rather, sound novels), was notorious for its blood and gore and accused of being a mindless horror anime when it's anything but (especially if you've read the novels). Higurashi Kai, its sequel, showed the emotional core of the novels for the first time, and even then, it was scratching the surface of just how tearjerking the franchise was supposed to be. But thankfully, it also led to other brilliant visual novel adaptations... namely Steins;Gate, one of the greatest sci-fi anime of all time. Period.

Kuuchuu Buranko, a dark comedy series about an anthropomorphic bear psychiatrist that tackled a bunch of mental illness, including OCDs and social anxiety. Paranoia Agent, Satoshi Kon's underrated classic exploring the way the Japanese dealt with post-WWII trauma through escapism. Kemonozume, a horror anime about cannibal monsters with a sympathetic side to them (also see Shiki, which did the same for vampires).

So yeah, I wouldn't call 2004 old school, but dang, it sure as heck gave us quite a number of ambitious anime and showed us what Japanese animation could truly do beyond just generic shounen stuff like DBZ. It's nothing short of The Golden Age of Anime.

Yeah, you could tell that I have a lot of nostalgia for the 2000s. Barely watched anime from the 2010s because of that. The anime of 2000s really changed my perspective about anime and just storytelling in general, the level of depth and variety one could do with simple drawings. Of course, Pixar movies of early 2000s contributed to that too, so it was really a great time to be an animation fan and be wowed by all these amazing stories exploring a wide variety of styles, genres and topics.

With the exception of Higurashi and Steins which I couldn't get into, I've seen every single anime you've mentioned. You have great tastes friend. I've yet to meet a person who has seen Kuuchuu Buranko.

You should definitely check out Texhnolyze and Haibane Renmei if you liked Lain/Boogiepop/GitS. I consider Texhnolyze in particular to not only be the greatest anime of all time, but one of the greatest works of fiction across of all time across any medium.

But yes I consider the range of 1998 to 2008 to be the greatest ten years of anime. Went downhill after that sans a few good ones.

Also check out Murdock Scramble, Kaiba, Kino's Journey reboot, all of Mushi-shi, Violet Evergarden, and Michiko e Hatchin.
Post automatically merged:

Oh my gosh, I loved Aria back when I watched it a few years ago! I need to watch the movie that was released earlier this year, and the one that's coming out in December.

It'll be the final Aria related thing we'll ever get. T_T

I've always had Aria on my list! I'll have to see how I'm able to watch it. (love early-mid-2000's anime)

If you have the money try and grab the blu rays with the english dub. Worth every penny for me and I purchased it without even watching all three seasons and I don't regret it. All three seasons are on youtube subbed however:

1:

2:

3:

Last edited:
With the exception of Higurashi and Steins which I couldn't get into,
Yeah, I can see why. lol Higurashi (the anime) ain't the greatest, but I've had a lot of appreciation for it over the years after having read the (much better written) visual novel. And as for Steins;Gate... yeah, definitely kinda hard to get into, with its slow-paced first-half and seemingly goofy nature. I'd recommend giving it another shot though, 'coz the goofiness has a point to it, and it leads to pretty good stuff at the mid-point.

You have great tastes friend. I've yet to meet a person who has seen Kuuchuu Buranko.

You should definitely check out Texhnolyze and Haibane Renmei if you liked Lain/Boogiepop/GitS. I consider Texhnolyze in particular to not only be the greatest anime of all time, but one of the greatest works of fiction across of all time across any medium.

But yes I consider the range of 1998 to 2008 to be the greatest ten years of anime. Went downhill after that sans a few good ones.

Also check out Murdock Scramble, Kaiba, Kino's Journey reboot, all of Mushi-shi, Violet Evergarden, and Michiko e Hatchin.
Thanks. I dislike clichés and a lack of originality in my anime and just any shows I watch, which is why I actively sought out the weirdest and most unorthodox anime I could find back then, and Kuuchuu Buranko fits the bill. Also see Excel Saga, which just throws the textbook out the window and does whatever the heck it wants (similar to Gintama, but far zanier).

I don't usually like a lot of comedies, but I love comedies that surprises me with something creative (like Nichijou, turning ordinary slice-of-life into exaggerated circumstances; it's like Azumanga Daioh on steroids). Gintama in particular, I have a lot of love for in spite of my seeming hatred for shounen anime. It actively mocks other shounen anime and pretty much does what shounen anime does, but far better than any of them, including One Piece. Not just a comedy, it turns pretty dramatic and very emotional down the line.

Definitely have seen Texhnolyze, Haibane Renmei, Murdock Scramble (the first one; too edgy for me), Mushi-shi (love it!, but have yet to see the 'final' movie), and the Kino's Journey reboot (got bored and dropped it; disappointing reboot). I'd say Mushi-shi and Kino's Journey have an edge over Texhnolyze in terms of great storytelling just by being more subtle with its messages. I usually love depressing anime, but Texhnolyze was pretty dull and forgettable for me, lacking the charm and beauty of Mushi and Kino. Mushi-shi in particular was just so honest about the neutrality of life, how good and evil doesn't really matter that it puts pretty much every anime preaching about good and evil to shame with their hackneyed message (see Tokyo Ghoul for such a hackneyed message that exemplifies the downfall of anime in the 2010s; dropped it after the first season).

And sorry to disappoint you, but I'm actually not that into 'intellectual' anime like Stand Alone Complex and mindtrip anime like Lain and Boogiepop. I don't really enjoy anime that are too confusing for me to understand, including Ergo Proxy. I'm someone who prefers emotional stories that make me feel something (but still doesn't bore me with clichés and overplayed tropes). It's why I definitely appreciated Haibane more than Texhnolyze; the latter lost me in the last two episodes, but the former is just terrific with its optimistic tone in a nihilistic world that bears resemblance to Kino's Journey (the original one, not the dull and brightly-colored reboot) and Mushi-shi.

I'll give the other titles a shot. Will add them to my list on Anilist.

I think the time when I truly felt that anime went downhill was Tokyo Ghoul. It felt like a rehash of Shiki, which I love a lot more for not holding its punches very quickly for the vampires' cruel fate (also love the downer ending that's the final punch in calling out humanity's ugliness). Tokyo Ghoul though, it's laughable how something trashy like Mirai Nikki and even School Days felt more refreshing and original. Mirai Nikki the series, for example, felt like a sloppily-written B-movie, but at least it tried to have a more eye-catching high-concept idea than just... "sympathetic cannibals and megalomaniacal villains!" Been there, done that. Also see Psycho-Pass and its edgy villains with armchair philosophy, another ridiculous anime that I couldn't finish. Honestly, what's with anime and flamboyant villains preaching about nihilism and Nietzsche? Once again, Mushi-shi and Kino's Journey did a better job with the idea of nihilism.

Sorry for the lengthy post; I tend to ramble on. lol

I put One Punch Man on hold after season one due to the limited edition sets being the only way to watch the ovas, and that's not in the budget without a sale. Does the annoying psychic kid get less annoying?

With the exception of Higurashi and Steins which I couldn't get into, I've seen every single anime you've mentioned. You have great tastes friend. I've yet to meet a person who has seen Kuuchuu Buranko.

Post automatically merged:

It'll be the final Aria related thing we'll ever get. T_T

If you have the money try and grab the blu rays with the english dub. Worth every penny for me and I purchased it without even watching all three seasons and I don't regret it. All three seasons are on youtube subbed however:

1:

2:

3:
Nice to see someone else still buying physical media. These discs do last longer than the companies with the distribution rights.

So I just realized yesterday that apparently the second season of Magia Record is already over. It was only eight episodes and the last episode didn't feel like a season ender at all. I was hoping to wrap up this story in the next few episodes or so, but I don't think I can stick around for another season.

I thought season 1 of Magia Record was okay but not as good as Madoka Magica. Season 2 of Magia Record was kind of a train wreck. I doubt I'll be watching season 3 if/when it airs.

I finally just finished watching the anime movie Demon Slayer/Kimetsu no Yaiba: Mugen Train.

That was both awesome and sad af. Even though I'm physically and emotionally exhausted right now, I cried anyway at the end of the movie. It was really sad and made me think about my mom's death as well. There are very few TV shows, let alone movies that will ever make me cry, so that's how I know this movie is special. Not to mention the animation from Ufotable was excellent, even on my phone. The action scenes were extremely well done and the movie didn't pull any punches or leave much unnecessary screentime. Even people who aren't normally fans of anime love this movie, and now I understand why. I also now truly understand what it means to Set your heart ablaze. I laughed and cried at the same time at the end of the movie. What a feeling. What a movie.

Demon Slayer: Mugen Train ranks in at 10/10 breathing form: screentime amazement on the anime scale.

💯

Just skip to the 14:02 mark of the video:

Next time on Death Battle...
DIO VS. ALUCARD! FINALLY! LMAO

This is probably one the most requested Death Battles ever, for good reasons.

I watched the first episode of the Faraway Paladin today and I thought it was pretty good. Based on just the first episodes, it might be my favorite of the three I selected to watch this season, but we'll see how things go. I'm looking forward to more.

Finally finished season 5 of MHA, so I'm all caught up this year!

What a fantastic season! It started off on a really fun note, and each arc was pretty entertaining.

Starting with the joint training arc:
So fun! Although I was easily annoyed by Monoma (and i always am) I felt each battle was engaging. I especially liked seeing everyone's new skills. It made shocking and good introduction to blackwhip as well. I also felt Ochaco's reaction and interaction with Izuku during that moment helped build her character a little more. I'm excited to see Shinso more.

Keeping up with the Todoroki's- i mean, Endeavor Agency Arc:
I can really feel the tension between family members of the Todoroki's in that arc. We get a small hint to what happened to Touya, and you really see Endeavor trying to make a genuine change. His redemption feels honest and I've grown to like him somewhat as a character. It was also nice to see Katsuki, Izuku, and Shoto interact as friends. (Especially kacchan and deku somewhat throughout this season. i feel like the one sided hatred is becoming more of a healthy rivalry.)

That episode with aizawa, present mic, and kurogiri hurt me so bad though-

My Villian Academia/Liberation Army arc:
It was entertaining to watch a whole story arc from the villians' point of view. It helps you understand them more as a league and characters, and honestly? I was soooo rooting for twice and others.

Anyway I better wrap this up but overall a great season imo, i think it helped build up a larger plot and it was just lots of fun to watch.

When I watch an episode of anime and it's over after what feels like 10 minutes even though it has been 20, I know it's a keeper. That feeling returned for me watching the first 2 episodes of the second season of Eighty-Six.

So glad we're getting more. The end of the first season left me in tears and shock. The second season has picked up the story thread beautifully. More plot and character development already. Hopefully there will be no more tears I will feel more prepared and cry less this time. I doubt it.

I started Bungou Stray Dogs since my friend kept recommending it to me and it's been good so far! I like how the storyline is going and the characters so I'll continue to watch it and put Edens Zero on hold for now.
I also watched A Silent Voice over the weekend and honestly to me it was just ok I guess. The whole storyline was pretty predictable and I'm honestly not a fan of stuff that the main plot revolves around bullying someone. I'd probably give it about a 5.5 out of 10.

We int-t-t-t-t-t-erupt your normal anime-viewing schedules to remind you that Demon Slayer season two is out!

In the first episode there‘s mayhem on the tracks! A man dies! We got some b-b-b-b-b-b-b-bento boxes being sold! Rengoku eats some noodles and says “Delicious!” He then finds the Slasher, a demon that’s been terrorizing the defenseless, poor civilians. He takes the Slasher out before the Slasher can harm the bento box sellers. Rengoku boards the Mugen Train, as do Tanjiro, Inosuke, and Zenitsu. The stage is set!

Also, ever wondered what the other Hashiras think of Rengoku?

SrliUNf.jpg

Kkgn2F5.jpg

Up next time on Demon Slayer season two, Deep Sleep! Everybody gets the sleeeeeeeeepies! You won’t want to miss it!

Still haven't had a chance to finish My Hero Academia season 5 yet. Only a couple episodes to go but it's hard to find time when my boyfriend isn't around to watch it.

We have been watching Hunter X Hunter together as of late though. It's mostly a repeat for me so far as I've seen about the first third of the show before, though it's dubbed this time.

Still kicking myself that I didn't recognize Leorio's voice actor as Matt Mercer at first. 😅

I started Bungou Stray Dogs since my friend kept recommending it to me and it's been good so far! I like how the storyline is going and the characters so I'll continue to watch it and put Edens Zero on hold for now.
I also watched A Silent Voice over the weekend and honestly to me it was just ok I guess. The whole storyline was pretty predictable and I'm honestly not a fan of stuff that the main plot revolves around bullying someone. I'd probably give it about a 5.5 out of 10.
I jut saw this post now. How far are you in BSD?

Back