• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Star Wars vs Harry Potter

What do you like more?

• Star Wars

Votes: 19 59.4%
  • Harry Potter

Votes: 13 40.6%

• Total voters

Alolan_Apples

“Assorted” Collector
Bells
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Green Balloon
Ghostly Kitty Plush
Hot Cocoa
Snowflake Glow Wand
Yellow Tulip
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Orange Candy
Chocolate Cake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Apple (Fruit)
Of these two modern fantasy multimedia franchises, which one do you like more? Star Wars, or Harry Potter? Please keep it civil, and please refrain from discussing about the creators’ or distributors’ beliefs. We can’t discuss real-world controversies here.

Believe it or not. I have never seen a single Star Wars movie, nor do I plan to anytime soon. Sci-fi movies aren't my cup of tea to be honest.
Harry Potter was the first series I ever truly fell in love with, and it will always hold a special place in my heart.

Last edited:
I have seen all the star wars movies thanks to my husband, family and friends but I have never been interested in them.

I loved harry potter when I was younger and loved seeing them in the cinema :)

The Force is still strong with me. But I’m too “muggle” to appreciate Harry Potter. So you can guess where my vote went.

I grew up with one and not the other, I hadn't seen Harry Potter til my partner showed me about two years ago. Never really interested me as much as it did for him...but Star Wars??!?! Oh boy I love Star Wars, one of the biggest and longest lasting special interests I've ever had.

Star Wars because I haven’t seen either but I hate Harry Potter. I tried to force myself to get into it when I was younger because everyone else liked it and I couldn’t. Plus, the creator’s a *****.

Harry Potter is waaaaaaay better than Star Wars. I hate how over exposed Star Wars is and it disgusts me that in Target it gets an entire aisle for Lego sets while other amazing Lego themes such as Harry Potter or Super Mario barely gets half of an aisle and most of it is occupied by the larger sets. It took me six months just to find Fluffy’s Encounter to add onto my Chamber of Secrets set.

9d2

i actually don't know anything about star wars but JKR (redacted) so i'm voting star wars.

Star Wars used to be interesting...until Disney bought it. Ever since then it has gone so downhill that whatever love I used to have for it is mostly gone now. I chose Harry Potter simply because its the other choice. Now, I like the HP universe but it didnt have my childhood like old Star Wars did.

To be honest, neither. I've just never understood the hype surrounding them despite watching the franchises and playing some of the video games associated with them. They're entertaining but thats as far as it goes for me as I feel both have been over saturated especially now that a pointless Harry Potter reboot is in the works.

I’ve only seen a couple Star Wars movies a long time ago as a kid, and I’ve seen the Harry Potter series and read the books, so while I’m not a huge fan of either I’d say Harry Potter over Star Wars for sure

I'm not big on either, but Star Wars still wins by a landslide.

I was an avid book reader in my youth who read many, many fantasy stories, and I have never understood the hype for Harry Potter. I saw nothing in them that I hadn't already read in a much more fantastical or exhilarating story elsewhere. It also came across as a very "everything the good guys do is good because they're good" and "baddies are bad because they're bad" style book, and even as a child I didn't care for those at all.

Neither of them. Star Wars went downhill fast after being bought by Disney, and Harry Potter I'm just not even interested in.

I'm not crazy about either of them, but of the two, I prefer Star Wars.

I saw the original Star Wars trilogy on VHS back when I was a kid and thought they were cool, but I wasn't a superfan or anything and was more interested in other media. The prequels are a pretty mixed bag, but there are some cool aspects to them, the John Williams scores are phenomenal, and in my adulthood I appreciate the political commentary of showing how a democratic government can go awry and end up usurped by fascism. The time leading up to and including the release of Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace is also pretty nostalgic in my memory. Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Star Wars: Rebels were neat.

I've had no interest in watching any of the sequel trilogy considering everything I've heard about it from all angles. Some of the television shows seem interesting and like something I might want to check out in the future. Frankly though, in retrospect it seems like George Lucas selling the franchise to Disney was a mistake, and as a creative myself I'm more interested in the person who made a world/series/franchise expanding that world rather than some committee or other person who didn't have anything to do with creating the original stuff.

That's not to say Star Wars is all good though; for example, George Lucas deciding he wanted Watto to be an antisemitic stereotype and giving the Nemoidians of the Trade Federation thick, stereotypical East Asian accents. Yikes.

That sort of stuff aside though, Star Wars is neat.

As for Harry Potter, I read some of the books during my childhood to early teens as well, though I admittedly stopped bothering at the Order of the Phoenix because the books were getting longer and I felt at the time that I'd rather be doing other stuff. I found out years later what happened in the rest of the series. There are some neat aspects to the wizarding world, but frankly, I don't like the series enough to look past JK Rowling's behavior. I'm someone who can and does separate the art from the artist when it comes to theses sorts of things because I feel like problematic people can still produce worthwhile, insightful works and I don't want to deprive myself of such. I don't care about this series enough to give it the same leniency. Additionally, some of the same sorts of problems that George Lucas included in his works are present in Harry Potter with some of the decisions JK made in world with stuff like naming a character Cho Chang, among other things. I've firmly left Harry Potter behind me.

Tbh I only know a tiny amount of Star Wars, but Harry Potter is icky to me even without the meta context. I’m sure SW has its dated pieces, but there’s so much in HP that is problematic in retrospect. I even remember some of it being called out at the time but we all just had that willing suspense of disbelief which is a lot harder to keep for HP these days.

And yeah honestly on the other hand SW doesn’t get my attention. HP is a great idea and I still like the third movie a lot, but idk :/ I’m just going for neither here. In a vacuum I’d still prefer HP, but it doesn’t exist in a vacuum. It’s tainted.

I've had no interest in watching any of the sequel trilogy considering everything I've heard about it from all angles. Some of the television shows seem interesting and like something I might want to check out in the future. Frankly though, in retrospect it seems like George Lucas selling the franchise to Disney was a mistake, and as a creative myself I'm more interested in the person who made a world/series/franchise expanding that world rather than some committee or other person who didn't have anything to do with creating the original stuff.
It’s not just Disney that made bad movies. J.J. Abrams didn’t do a good job on the sequels since they’re too much like the originals. And he killed Han Solo. There’s a reason why people call him Jar Jar Abrams.

Back