• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

SpongeBob vs Fairly OddParents

Which show do you like better?

• Total voters

Alolan_Apples

“Assorted” Collector
Bells
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Green Balloon
Ghostly Kitty Plush
Hot Cocoa
Snowflake Glow Wand
Yellow Tulip
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Orange Candy
Chocolate Cake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Apple (Fruit)
Of these two classic Nicktoons, which show do you like more? The one about who lives in a pineapple under the sea, or the one about the average kid that no one understands?

Please keep this thread civil, and do not focus too much about the controversies surrounding each show.

Spongebob because Tom Kenny (the voice actor for Spongebob and many, many other cartoon characters) is an absolute treasure. I think Spongebob is a much more memorable show compared to Fairly OddParents as well; but that's not to say that Fairly OddParents was a bad show or anything.

To be honest, if you’re only counting just the first three seasons of SpongeBob, then absolutely no cartoon is better than SpongeBob. None. SpongeBob will always be the best show. But if you’re counting entire series and not just parts, then I guarantee that there are a couple of cartoons better than SpongeBob. But the Fairly OddParents isn’t one of them if that also means the Baby Poof episodes (basically the second half of the show are included).

I’m going with SpongeBob on this, even if the Fairly OddParents is more similar to my current favorite TV series.

SpongeBob has a lot of great memes but I like Fairly OddParents more...but only if I had to choose because I wasn't a Nickelodeon fan.

Fairly OddParents is a good show but SpongeBob has an eternally relevant quality to it with the dichotomy between SpongeBob and Squidward. As a kid you’re SpongeBob and as an adult you’re Squidward. That kind of thing is rarely done with cartoons, a lot of them strictly have the main characters be kids, adolescents or if there is an adult they’re not as great as a window into the show. I also found FOP had more misses with humor though it was still very funny. Anyway, it adds a lot of layers to SpongeBob and makes it especially fun to rewatch as an adult.

EmpLemon has a great video about SpongeBob.

For what it’s worth I think S1-S8 of Simpsons is the best cartoon. S1-S3 SpongeBob is probably in the top 3 though. I know the later seasons have a few hidden gems but they clearly aren’t the peak of the show and they’re just clearly from a different time so I’d rather not count them in the debate tbh. I even like a couple other Simpsons seasons quite a bit but I count them more as their own thing.

I’m not sure what other cartoon I’d put in the top 3 with them. It’s not even because there are a lot that are hard to choose between, I think a lot of the lauded cartoons like ATLA are just a little overrated and there’s a big drop. Futurama S1-S4 for #3 maybe but there’s a ton of nostalgia involved there.

I haven't watched either in years, and stopped watching regularly before the SpongeBob movie even came out. That said, given what I watched, SpongeBob SquarePants absolutely trounces Fairly Oddparents. Fairly Oddparents was fine, but SpongeBob was just of higher quality. Have to admit that I don't much like Butch Hartman, but I'm not even taking that into consideration when ranking them. Of his shows, I preferred Danny Phantom.

Last edited:
I've always found Fairly Odd Parents' quick-paced, self-satirical humor to land poorly more times than not, but it was all right. And I will say that the numerous format changes, live action movies, and that recent reboot all make even the most horrid of modern SpongeBob episodes seem absolutely golden by comparison.

So naturally, I prefer SpongeBob, but really only the first three seasons. Controversially enough, I don't even like the first movie. I actually prefer the second because of its greater balance of character focus and actual plot.

I didn’t really enjoy either. Upon seeing the poll, my instinct was to vote for Fairly OddParents. I watched and enjoyed that slightly more. I didn’t watch cartoons growing up. I was hooked on the Pokémon anime.

I loved watching both shows as a kid, but I haven't watched Fairly Odd Parents in years, whereas I still watch the classic Spongebob episodes semi-regularly.

not to mention I have some relatively strong negative opinions about Butch Hartman, that doesn't make me like his shows any less, it just kinda puts a bad taste in my mouth.

I'm not really big on either. But if I had to pick, SpongeBob, because the earlier episodes were pretty decent and some of the videogames were fun.

Kind of hard to pick. Both shows are good, but started to get crappier after going on for too long. Nowadays, SpongeBob episodes are just weird and Fairly OddParents started to suck after they started introducing characters like Sparky and Chloe. I guess I pick SpongeBob though, it’s just funnier.

Kind of hard to pick. Both shows are good, but started to get crappier after going on for too long. Nowadays, SpongeBob episodes are just weird and Fairly OddParents started to suck after they started introducing characters like Sparky and Chloe. I guess I pick SpongeBob though, it’s just funnier.
Yep! SpongeBob was good up until the movie, whereas Fairly OddParents was good before they introduced that baby fairy. Even so, there were still a couple post-movie charms in SpongeBob while almost no good episode of Fairly OddParents existed after Jimmy Timmy Power Hour 3.

Right now, my top five Fairly OddParents episodes are:
  • Mr. Right!
  • That’s Life
  • Pipe Down
  • Nectar of the Odds
  • Spaced Out
What did they have in common? They came from the first half of the show, when they didn’t have the baby, Sparky, or Chloe. Coincidentally, they all premiered before the SpongeBob movie.

As for SpongeBob, my top five are:
  • Graveyard Shift
  • Club SpongeBob
  • SB-129
  • Sailor Mouth
  • Can You Spare a Dime

It's SpongeBob by default for me, since I've never bothered to watch the Fairly OddParents, lol. I don't think it would make a huge difference if I had, though, since early SpongeBob is a really solid show.

i grew up watching and loving both series but i think spongebob takes the win for me. i was so obsessed with the very first spongebob movie and the spinoff game that was released for the gamecube. it's created a lot of great memories for me and it will always hold a special place in my heart 💙

i grew up watching and loving both series but i think spongebob takes the win for me. i was so obsessed with the very first spongebob movie and the spinoff game that was released for the gamecube. it's created a lot of great memories for me and it will always hold a special place in my heart 💙
Still waiting for a rehydrated version of the movie game, just like how Battle for Bikini Bottom got a rehydrated version.

Hmm, let's see...

SpongeBob is my #1 favorite show of all time, and I never really got into The Fairly Oddparents.

It's clear what my answer is :cool::cool::cool:

Um, yeah... I haven't even watched either and I'm going to have to say SpongeBob...

fairly is just a bit too juvenile and derivative when you're an adult, like all of hartman's work

spongebob has more age reach and is consistently able to be inventive

Back