• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

SpongeBob vs Fairly OddParents

Which show do you like better?

• Total voters
I enjoyed both when I was younger, but Spongebob is more timeless (I speak of earlier seasons because I haven't watched either in many years, aside from a few meme-y clips). Even the adults around me liked Spongebob when I was growing up. I always felt bad for Squidward as a kid, and as an adult, I AM Squidward, lmao. I think pretty much all the characters are endearing in some way, and it's a shame it suffered from being milked to death.

So Fairly OddParents doesn’t resonate with adults any better than SpongeBob does. There’s also another audience that Fairly OddParents doesn’t resonate with, and that would be newer kids.

SpongeBob managed to stay relevant as the years went on, but Fairly OddParents is very 2000s by today’s standards. There’s no mention of smartphones, no mention of online streaming, VHS is still a thing, outdated gender stereotypes are present (which SpongeBob doesn’t even have), and some of the stuff they did early in the show would’ve gotten the characters in trouble in real life if they did it today (rather than at the time). There was also this episode where Timmy wished he was never born, and one of the things that happened in the alternate universe was that the Cubs won the World Series. Since that happened in 2016, that doesn’t sound like an alternative reality fact, not anymore.

Although today’s youth would enjoy Fairly OddParents just as much as we did when we were kids, they wouldn’t really get some of the stuff the show was referencing. Even SpongeBob still has a few dated jokes or references (i.e. “Idiot Box” was once a double-meaning title, but since TVs have become more flatscreen, it only has one meaning as the pun is lost).

Mini-bump but I forgot the extra media and look SpongeBob Musical > all

When the two shows both came out, I actually was in the minority for liking Fairly Odd Parents over Spongebob, but I don't watch TV much as an adult now. Spongebob really managed to stay sort of relevant though with new movies/games/other stuff. Fairly Odd Parents on the other hand I heard had a terrible reboot. I'm not voting in the poll. Nostalgia wise, it'd be Fairly Odd Parents, but today's day and age, it'd be Spongebob. I actually enjoy Spongebob's 3rd movie that most critics didn't.

I know you say not to focis on the controversies, but the stuff surrounding fairly oddparent's creator is legit gross enough to just really sour me on the whole thing

vs spongebob, which... just had a run of the mill decline in quality, as far as I'm aware (not sure how it's faring on that front currently though)

I know you say not to focis on the controversies, but the stuff surrounding fairly oddparent's creator is legit gross enough to just really sour me on the whole thing

vs spongebob, which... just had a run of the mill decline in quality, as far as I'm aware (not sure how it's faring on that front currently though)
I kinda mentioned something controversial about Fairly OddParents too. No, it’s not the OAXIS scandal. It was the episode “It’s a Wishful Life”, which many consider to be the worst Fairly OddParents episode, so bad that it is no longer airing reruns. SpongeBob had an even worse one (actually a couple of worse episodes), but let’s leave it here. The only reason why I brought up that episode was because of the Cubs World Series win and how it’s now an outdated joke.

Kind of hard to pick. Both shows are good, but started to get crappier after going on for too long. Nowadays, SpongeBob episodes are just weird and Fairly OddParents started to suck after they started introducing characters like Sparky and Chloe. I guess I pick SpongeBob though, it’s just funnier.
I could not stand Sparky.

i voted for spongebob, i watched it more often and also thought it was funnier even though i didn’t get 90% of some of the jokes. i still watch spongebob but new episodes have definitely declined, i only remember watching some of the older fairly odd parents episodes so i don’t know what direction the show went in later episodes.

i hope i don’t set anyone off here but based on what i remember i feel like fairly odd parents is strictly a kids show. im not saying that means that adults CANT watch it, i just mean that it’s probably one of those things that you’re into as a child but isn’t as rewatch-able as an adult whereas there’s plenty of adults who watch spongebob.

i am still young and wasn’t born when both shows first came out, i also know a lot more about spongebob so do what you will with that information.

Last edited:
I watched and liked both shows, but I enjoyed Spongebob more. Both of them came out during my early adulthood, but I still watched a lot of Nicktoons and Cartoon Network shows. Fairly Odd Parents was fine, but Spongebob was much better in my opinion. Spongebob held my interest a lot longer as well. I don't really remember the decline of Fairly Odd Parents, meaning I must have tuned out before then, but I continued to watch Spongebob for many years.

100% Spongebob, I love a lot of the episodes, even from the worst era imo (M I D, hehe...seasons) had pretty sick episodes I loved. Heck, I view the modern seasons as a mix between 4 and mid (Which is pretty good)
Fairly Odd Parents isn't bad, but it's gone downhill. Classic seasons are very funny though, love the old Cosmo!

I liked both, but Spongebob was definitely my favorite of the two. It's one of my favorite cartoons in general

The first few seasons of Spongebob were good, but I feel like it suffered from longevity. I think Fairly Odd Parents wins in that, but both have their strong points.

I heard of a bunch of rumors of Butch Hartman. I never really bothered to look them up or really read into what they are, but I get that he's not a great person at all. But if you do/did, you can still like the show and dislike the creator. It's like the Harry Potter lady. You can denounce her and still like the series she created.

If Mike and Bryan from Avatar end up being some gross creeps, it won't change the fact that I like Avatar the Last Airbender. Will I look at the series creators differently? For sure. But so many other people besides Mike/Bryan or Butch Hartman worked on the shows they created. And that show was part of my childhood so I won't just delete it from my memory and act like I didn't look forward to the next episode and speculating stuff with my online friends.

(I'm not saying that to be mean spirited or anything. Just that if you like the show you can still like it. But if you never cared for FOP that's fine to)

Both were great but I gotta go with Spongebob. Although those crossovers and big Fairly Oddparents events were awesome.

Okay, I've posted here before, but here's my definite opinion.

SpongeBob was almost consistently good (there was always the occasional I'm With Stupid) up until the movie. Seasons 4 and 5 have some good episodes. Some of the best ones (like Krusty Towers or Friend or Foe) can be compared to the first three seasons. But the worst episodes (like Waiting and Good Neighbors) can be considered some of the worst episodes of the show. These seasons can be good, but also have some bad ones. Seasons 6 and 7 are infamous for having a lot of hated episodes (House Fancy, The Splinter, A Pal For Gary, One Coarse Meal, and Stuck In The Wringer are some of the most reviled episodes of the show just to name a few), with almost no redeeming episodes. If the show wasn't disgusting, it was unwatchable. If it wasn't unwatchable, it was way too mean spirited. If it wasn't mean spirited, there's probably some other reason it was awful. And if it wasn't awful, there was just nothing. Episodes would just have absolutely no substance. There was a very big lack of good episodes. Seasons 8 and 9 (especially the latter after the sequel movie) are definite improvements, but not perfect (Little Yellow Book). Everything after that is just as hit or miss, but there, the best episodes are a lot better (like Mimic Madness or Bulletin Board). I don't really know what the show is like now, but there might still be a light at the end of the tunnel. I doubt it would be like the early days, but anything's better than seasons 6 and 7.

With The Fairly Oddparents, it was good until Season 6. The worst episode up until them was It's A Wishful Life. It was still watchable by and after season 6, but the show started introducing new characters seemingly on a seasonally basis. Poof wasn't that bad though. But nothing after season 8 is bearable. The last two seasons of the show are even worse than SpongeBob seasons 6 and 7, because at least there, there was the occasional watchable episode. Not good, but watchable. That's not the case here. Sparky makes season 9 unbelievably obnoxious, and it's the same with Chloe and season 10. It's not funny or entertaining or tolerable anymore, just depressing remembering what it once was. By the last half of season 10, they start using Flash animation, so now, instead, it looks like Total Drama or the show about a… beast that Butch Hartman also made that I refuse to mention. I guess by this point, Butch Hartman just lost his charm in his writing, since it used to be good, and then after this show concluded he went to work on the show I still won't name. Speaking of concluding, the ending to the show is terrible and not at all satisfying. When I was watching it after it first aired, I wondered if they just had more episodes to release. That's how bad of a conclusion it is. The only good thing about it is that they euthanized the show when it was clearly suffering and needed it.

In conclusion, I think SpongeBob is better. SpongeBob's first three seasons are some of the best Nick has to offer, and even after that, there's still a good amount of good episodes and ones that capture the charm of those first three seasons. There may have been potholes (more like pits to hell in some cases) along the post movie road, but ultimately, the show still had a respectable run, and who knows? Maybe the show still has some of those episodes that capture its early glory. Meanwhile, with the Fairly Oddparents, it was up there with SpongeBob, Rugrats, Rocko's Modern Life, Hey Arnold, and more as one of Nick's best shows until season 6, and still managed to stay watchable until the second Sparky is introduced. But both shows are there to show how good simple concepts (like working at a fast food restaurant or being able to have almost any wish you want) can be made creative in the right hands, and with the right writing.

Back