• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Celebrating Diversity 2023: Arts & Crafts Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
~ Flavors of the World! ~

uIaRzMr.png

A taste of Europe, a taste of the Carribeans... All across the street at my local market! When I take a bite, it's like I'm taking a trip around the world, all from the comfort of home~ sure, I have plenty of native ingredients on hand for my dish, you know, just the usual fruits, but when I start thinking about all the different cultures and the exotic fruits they have to offer, I can't help but want a little bit of everything! 😋💞 thank you friends for all the sumptuous fruits!

Grapes from Spain 🇪🇸

Persimmons from Japan 🇯🇵

Strawberries from Italy 🇮🇹

Ackees from Jamaica 🇯🇲

Carambola (star fruit) from the Dominican Republic 🇩🇴

Our food, our music... my Dominican heritage makes me happy! To me, celebrating diversity means embracing where we come from and where others come from. Be proud of your heritage and the many wonderful things that the cultures of the world give us. Whether it's food, music, language, art... Let's continue learning from one another! Whether you're from Australia, South America, Asia... Look in the mirror and love what you see! 💖💖💖

One of the best ways to bridge a divide is through delicious food! What better way to celebrate diversity than through our stomachs? 😁

Back in high school, my friends and I started a Diversity Club that held an annual potluck-- which eventually grew in popularity and creativity until it was a massive event that required the stage and stadium space of the performing arts center nearby. We had heard about a few racism-fueled events around the school, and knew that the student body (as well as the adults) were capable of better.
Students signed up for booths and dressed in traditional clothing or performed to showcase their cultures. It was so enlightening.

I tried my best not to fall into stereotypes, and I want to celebrate all these foods and cultures I've depicted. As an Asian-American, I thought having Frita in denim, holding a tray of hamburgers was a particularly hilarious touch. I also learned that Boone is actually a Mandrill from West Africa. Some of the traditional outfits were harder to find than others.
I would eat everything in the photo, but if I had to choose just one dish, I would probably go for the sushi plate in front of Genji. 🥰

Hey @Chris, it looks like some of the little images I inserted as a key to all the flags etc broke - may I please edit my post to fix those images? It annoys me so much 🥲 they were fine when I uploaded my entry last night, but broke later for some reason…

I actually had an idea of something to create and submit! It's really simple but took me forever as I don't have the ability to use a stylus to draw. I use my mouse and line/shape tools. I haven't been on for a few days and haven't seen the other entries until now. I just realized others had the same idea. I'm sorry if my entry is similar to others.

dfzmvtk-7e63cf4a-fc17-4a5a-9644-391aec2e9f16.png

I created a Villager Rainbow. (I wasn't sure if there was an villager that could represent indigo so I just did these six.)
Love is love and every one should be free to live their lives as their true selves.
When I posted my entry I could see it and everything was fine. I came on today to look at all the other entries and now my image isn't working. @Chris, may I edit my entry to try to get my image working again? Thank you!

Hi @Valzed, while I see the image isn't working now it had already been seen by the team and we came to the consensus that we weren't going to accept this entry because it appeared to have been copied or traced from official Animal Crossing renders. You are welcome to submit a new entry.

Hey @Chris, it looks like some of the little images I inserted as a key to all the flags etc broke - may I please edit my post to fix those images? It annoys me so much 🥲 they were fine when I uploaded my entry last night, but broke later for some reason…

Go ahead!

Hi @Valzed, while I see the image isn't working now it had already been seen by the team and we came to the consensus that we weren't going to accept this entry because it appeared to have been copied or traced from official Animal Crossing renders. You are welcome to submit a new entry.
I did look at official Animal Crossing images as references but I didn't think that counted as copying/tracing. I'm not artistically talented enough to draw without looking at something for reference so I won't be able to create a new entry. Can you please delete my entry from the contest? Thank you.

Edit: I deleted my entry myself.

Last edited:
Celebrating diversity 2023

It’s always hard for me this event. So many tbt members come from incredible, ethnic backgrounds or exotic orientations of sorts which I really don’t. I’m honestly just a boring straight white girl. BUT I do celebrate family. I come from a blended family and I married into a blended family. Though I met my husband when I was 16, I did not marry him for 11 years. I came to him with my first son, as he came to me with a daughter and a son and then we had one son together. We have all possible hair eye combos. My husband has dark DARK hair and brown eyes. I have dark reddish hair and light gray/green eyes that change. My oldest son is light haired with gray/green/blue eyes, while my youngest son has deep dark hair with tea/gray eyes. My oldest step son has dark hair and dark eyes but his sister has light hair and dark eyes. On my new leaf town, I had 4 squirrels that represented my kids. Filbert represented my oldest son, Caleb. Marshal represented my youngest son Jacob. Peanut represented my step daughter Paris and Static represented my stepson Gavin. I did my best to represent our genetic color scheme in my drawing. In doing this, I changed up their accents to coincide with ours.

A8909DA2-6BA8-4F21-83F9-CA0526FF0338.jpeg

Post automatically merged:

The numbers represent our ages from oldest to youngest so u guys can guess who they all are.

vGSEmWx.jpg

Closeups:
hUKyJyd.jpg

qnUMhtz.jpg

Xk1mFtV.jpg

For this year's diversity event, I opted to make paper dolls representing just a few members of our fabulous community.

A subject I wanted to bring up on the topic of diversity, is that not all of our differences are visual, and in fact the majority of things that set us apart from one another are intangible. From upbringing, to neurodivergency, to invisible disabilities, the view through each individual's eyes is colored by a slew of factors. It's important to remember that you will never know by looking what's affecting someone, and to be aware of when our personal biases are leading us to assumptions.
S7pLEVs.jpg

Wx3cC5g.jpg

7muDrx4.jpg

ya5Qxw5.jpg

asl3Y7X.jpg

Featured Reps (Left to right):
@Blink. @MasterM64 @Millysaurusrexjr @Croconaw @Roxxy @jadetine @Firesquids (me) @xara @S.J. @Bluebellie
You guys ROCK! 💜

vGSEmWx.jpg

Closeups:
hUKyJyd.jpg

qnUMhtz.jpg

Xk1mFtV.jpg

For this year's diversity event, I opted to make paper dolls representing just a few members of our fabulous community.

A subject I wanted to bring up on the topic of diversity, is that not all of our differences are visual, and in fact the majority of things that set us apart from one another are intangible. From upbringing, to neurodivergency, to invisible disabilities, the view through each individual's eyes is colored by a slew of factors. It's important to remember that you will never know by looking what's affecting someone, and to be aware of when our personal biases are leading us to assumptions.
S7pLEVs.jpg

Wx3cC5g.jpg

7muDrx4.jpg

ya5Qxw5.jpg

asl3Y7X.jpg

@Blink. @MasterM64 @Millysaurusrexjr @Croconaw @Roxxy @jadetine @Firesquids (me) @xara @S.J. @Bluebellie
You guys ROCK! 💜
Wow Roxie, this is so precious 🥺💜 I want to love it so many times! You are so talented and it is such an honour to be chosen alongside such amazing people 💜

vGSEmWx.jpg

Closeups:
hUKyJyd.jpg

qnUMhtz.jpg

Xk1mFtV.jpg

S7pLEVs.jpg

Wx3cC5g.jpg

7muDrx4.jpg

ya5Qxw5.jpg

asl3Y7X.jpg

You guys ROCK! 💜

Absolutely love it, all of them look fantastic! :D

I decided to take the crafting route and went to crochet a blanket that has similar colours to the ace flag. It isn't finished yet since I will be starting the third ball today and I want it to be BIG! This is two balls worth of yarn and will be a mega huge blanket for my friends and family and me to go under during the colder months (or when the AC is too cold). I'm using the linen stitch (also known as the moss stitch)

In its current state, it is enough to cover me up to my chest. My giraffe of a husband, on the other hand, has it covered to his waist. Which is why I still need to add more yarn. If it was just for me, it would be perfect and cover me warmly :3

thumbnail_IMG_2786.jpg

PROGRESS PHOTOS:
This is at ~60cm
thumbnail_IMG_2747.jpg

This is at ~90cm
thumbnail_IMG_2777.jpg

The whole width of the blanket is going to be about 200cm-ish with a border in black
thumbnail_IMG_2778.jpg

These are photos of me doing the stitches
thumbnail_IMG_2749.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2743.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2745.jpg

0F567324-7422-42F4-93A2-C5846E993AE8.jpeg

Even in the darkest of times,
I know I can find peace and solace
In knowing and accepting who I am

Opted for traditional piece this year! I wanted to do a peace on learning to accept yourself despite others potentially not accepting you due to diversity.

Everything drawn with pencil on paper!
50F0784C-40D4-4085-8B85-711FC2674318.jpeg

vGSEmWx.jpg

Closeups:
hUKyJyd.jpg

qnUMhtz.jpg

Xk1mFtV.jpg

S7pLEVs.jpg

Wx3cC5g.jpg

7muDrx4.jpg

ya5Qxw5.jpg

asl3Y7X.jpg

You guys ROCK! 💜
i literally just woke up and already there are tears in my eyes??? this is so incredible and such a lovely idea, i can’t tell you how honoured i am to be included in it 🥹🥹 i love this so so much, seeing my silly little rep up there with so many wonderful people has honestly made my day 💜

My family traveled a bit (a lot) when I was growing up, and we lived in and visited many different countries. As a kid, I always felt a bit adrift, and it was awkward when people would ask things like where are you from? Psh, everywhere? What school did you go to? Psh, lots? But when I got older, I realized where 'home' really was.

Because wherever we traveled, we always went back to the same place in between - cajun country, Louisiana! Yep, the bayou, where my aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, etc would have the most fantastic welcome for us.

This was a long time ago, when we could only afford to talk on the phone those distances once a year, and mail took forever to cross the oceans. (We got a cake in the mail once when we were in japan, and by the time it reached us...it was no longer cake). So everyone would say how different we kids looked, how much we'd grown. What else they would talk about remained a mystery, because they all spoke french, and my parents hadn't taught us any french!

But it was always a good time, wild and crazy, good food, cracklins and boudin, fishing, watching the alligators, the grown ups playing bourré all night (my dad saved coffee cans full of change for those games, and he'd bring his coins to the table in a big sock) while us kids got up to all sorts of mischief outside.

So I made a cajun character! Last minute and no talent, so not drawn well, lol, but I think Étouffée would spice up the island a bit...

20230616_105848.png

20230616_164804.png

Last edited:
I hope this is ok, my drawing is based on how each person is an individual and should never change just to ‘fit in with the crowd’. Whenever, I was at school some people I knew with would do anything to be ‘popular’, but I always went my own way. I never smoked, never got drunk (still don’t drink alcohol) and always had my own taste in music, films, beliefs etc. My belief has always been, be yourself, and if anyone has a problem with that, that’s their problem as demonstrated with my OC’s clothes. I used to get asked: ‘Why do you dress like that outside of school?’, my answer: ‘It’s my choice.’ Even though I left school 15 years ago, I still to this day dress like that. Buck and I are flying the asexual flag. Some people I know, still can’t understand, but again it’s what makes me, me as an individual!

Buck and OC - TBT Diversity June 2023.jpeg

Buck and OC - TBT Diversity June  2023 with Nametag-min.jpg

Wow, so many amazing entries with so much love and inspiration 🥰❤️

Ok, this has taken me so long I am embarrassed to admit. I nearly gave up but I had to try. So, please ignore the waffle 😂

My first thought was space camp 🤞🚀 then I thought of daycare when parents (me 😆) can go on a space adventure. Natural progression was to re draw Kylie & Kodie from the last diversity event. Since then they have adopted a kitten 🐈😍) then final addition of rainbow duck plushies swimming in the pond.

Oh, final final was a little personal addition. When I first attempted an event I had never drawn more than stick men so had to be included 😂

Without this wonderful community I would never have attempted drawing. Or been blessed to meet wonderful people a lot of who I am proud to call friends 💜

A08245F4-9ADC-4E10-9933-1722DD0C009B.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
In past years I’ve focused on demisexuality and autism. While both are just as important to me now I wanted to try something different this year. I started a new job last year and have gotten to work along side many different people. My new workplace especially has people from various different nationalities so I’ve decided to focus on that this year. Despite being from different places, having different appearances, different languages, cultures etc. we all get along really well and support one another.

Two of the biggest nationalities at my work include Chinese and Indian people so I decided to do villagers that best represent those two in my opinion (Pekoe and Margie respectfully). I also chose to do Erik to represent my own country and location of my work. There are others too but I didn’t have time to draw them all sadly.

Untitled_Artwork.jpeg

Side note: I’m really proud of how my Maple leaf turned out for the Canadian flag. While not perfect by any means I really like it. I’ve struggled for years (since I was a kid) to draw one without it looking wonky. I’m sure other Canadians can relate. 😂

QdC3wbS.jpg

I always read about the stuff going on back in my home country -- USA -- and lately, that news has really disappointed me.
Not trying to get too political here but I wish certain groups would leave LGBTQIA+ people alone.

I decided to draw Daisy chilling in a summery field; she cloud-watches without a single care.
I hope one day LGBTQIA+ folks all around the world can have this kind of peace!

🌼🌼🌼

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back