• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Star Wars vs Harry Potter

What do you like more?

• Star Wars

Votes: 19 59.4%
  • Harry Potter

Votes: 13 40.6%

• Total voters
Two franchises I have never gotten into. You said not to bring the creators' beliefs up, but it's too relevant, it's too important. I care about the well-being of trans people.

If I were to get into either of these franchises, it would be Star Wars. I will leave the other franchise alone and not get obsessed with something that brings money to a nasty person and cause. But there's a reason I've never gotten into Star Wars, it's just not for me.

Honestly not too keen on either. But I'll be betraying my family if I don't pick Starwars xD

I do love the movies, the first movies. Not the new ones, or shows.

I did really like Rouge One, but thats the only new movie wise. The older movies I loved. When I was young, Lego Starwars for the Game Cube was my jam~
--
Im more team Fantastic Beasts. But after what J.K said, its hard to respect her as a person..

i must be watching a different series because the quality of star wars hasn't really changed in my opinion. i started with the original films when they re-released them in the 90s, and the prequel trilogy. i find most people are overdramatic to the point of parody about those films. expanded media like the clone wars and even video games and novelizations and books both legacy and official have done more than enough to change and enhance the prequel's film experience and make their scripts pan out. you could argue that you shouldn't have to follow "spin-off" material to appreciate a film, but that is neither here nor there, the saga goes beyond film and for those of us really into the mythos, that is how it has always been. also i don't understand how people can be down on gungans and be fond of return of the jedi in the same breath, the film featuring the most momentum killing subplots in the series: the Battle of Endor and Ewoks and a demeaning joke use of the strongly feminist minded female lead and bungled character arc of Boba Fett. i refuse to believe binks is the travesty after years of annoying aliens that added nothing. jar jar had a purpose and that was contrast to the corrupted innocence of Obi-Wan and at least he said words

as for disney's ownership, the worst thing they did was declaring the old extended universe non-canon. they forgot nerd culture on the whole can't handle the idea they aren't 100% validated. what the intention was was to free future films of dangling threads and the pressure of a generally unpleasable fanbase. they would have been better served without that statement, and the sequel trilogy had some woes, but it's being objectively obtuse to blanket sleep on the series of hits like rogue one, the mandalorian, rebels and obi-wan become the sequel films retread what fans were incessant was the standard, the original trilogy. not to mention han dying was ford's demand, rian johnson hijacked the pacing, and a major character passed away, cutting off trajectory of the first film. personally, i'd have put ROTJ on the same level of quality and weak character writing. disney has not "ruined" the ip. their recent productions have set it back on course if you ask me.

also, star trek is science fiction. star wars is a fantasy space opera. sounds pedantic but the difference is striking in academic terms.

as for harry potter well it's hard to be fond of something when the author's anti-demoness and friends views flood her writing style and it's products. i'll take a brief cinematic low point and monopoly business over harry potter

star wars

-snip-

star wars
I do agree that the prequels were over-hated. Sure it didn’t live up to the originals, but it had better visuals, more worldbuilding, better lightsaber duels, better explanation of the Force, and it explained how the Original Trilogy started. And for the plot, the Anakin Skywalker subplot of the entire PT was very well-written. Going into the Special Editions, while everyone hated the Greedo scene, the altered force ghost scene, Jabba’s altered house band, and Jabba appearing in A New Hope, it made several changes that made the Original Trilogy look more up-to-date rather than some outdated 20th century films.

But for the sequels, I can name 10 or 20 problems without even going into the diversity topics. But if I were to talk about it, I feel very bad for Kelly Marie Tran and Daisy Ridley for all the hateful e-mails or comments they received. I don’t like how people take films this seriously.

None of the above for me. I've never watched, been introduced to, or been interested in Star Wars. For a long time it was the same for Harry Potter, but I did end up watching the movies. While I enjoyed some of the movies, I couldn't really understand the hype. Additonally, HP's author has well in truly destroyed any hope for me actually liking it.

Never actually watched Star Wars, but I have seen a few Harry Potter clips and I think I like it better.

None! I have never seen a single Star Wars movie and as for Harry Potter I've only seen the very first movie and that's because it was on a school trip instead of going to a pantomine. Since then Harry Potter is a big no no for me.

Star Wars, definitely. I’ve actually watched a Star Wars movie before, but I can’t say that about Harry Potter. Not to say it’s bad, I just definitely know which I prefer. Though there are some pretty bad Star Wars movies. I don’t know if it’s like that with Harry Potter.

I haven't watched Harry Potter yet because I'd rather read the books first.

As for star wars...it's not my favorite franchise by any form. It has a charming cast of characters and I loved Vader as a villain. I fell asleep twice watching the movies though aha

I've seen the main six Star Wars films and all of the Harry Potter films, and paid varying levels of attention. I read and loved the Harry Potter books when I was around 10 or 11 (I think I read the first four only?). After that, my interest dropped off, and I don't really care for either franchise now!

I'd probably say Star Wars, even though I've fallen out of it for years. Harry Potter has too many problematic things involved with it (Rowling's antisemitism, racism, slavery apologia and transphobia) and the titular protagonist is a Gary Stu with zero personality who needs Deus Ex Machina as the plot demands.

I am a little disappointed Terminator wasn't included, but I voted for Star Wars. It was a close call though.

I am a little disappointed Terminator wasn't included, but I voted for Star Wars. It was a close call though.
I think the reason Terminator wasn’t included is because it only has 6 movies and isn’t as fantastical as the other two (well, it’s definitely pretty fantastic, but not as much).

I think the reason Terminator wasn’t included is because it only has 6 movies and isn’t as fantastical as the other two (well, it’s definitely pretty fantastic, but not as much).
Good point. I was being a tiny bit sarcastic. Seriously though, I probably should have said Lord of the Rings.

I thought this thread was gonna discuss who would win in a 1 on 1 fight: Harry Potter or Luke Skywalker. 😂 Frankly, I don't like either of these franchises, but I'd choose Star Wars because it has guns, dogfights (you know, like planes fighting one another) and a princess. 😎 I have a friend who used to be infatuated with Star Wars and every time he'd utter the name, I would correct him and say "Rats Wars. Because STAR spelled backwards spells RATS." 😜😂😎👉👉

Back