Count Inside the Bottle

I must actually not have that part of the brain that understands 3D and volume because for all of these, I was like 200 or 300 or 400 off. Even after I bought a bag of goldfish and almonds and counted them all out 😥

oblivia, how do you do it? how do you make it so the jars seem much smaller/bigger in our head rather than in the picture? its sorcery, i swear. nonetheless, thank you for always hosting this fun little game! it gets me to do math, the subject i almost fail every year, so you're actually helping me just a little bit with my calculating skills. 😆
Okay, I agree with all of you re: the almonds. I count out the items 3x for every jar I post - I may or may not be a masochist/perfectionist when it comes to these things - to ensure I have an accurate number. For bigger things like the goldfish or almonds, I count them out in groups of 20 since I'm less likely to make a numerical error if I can easily eyeball 5x clusters of 20 and add up each group of 100, then tack on the stragglers at the end. The almonds absolutely threw me because I figured there'd be something like ~300 in the smaller of my magic voodoo jars, but I mean it when I say the almonds were deceptively packable because there were definitely 567 even after triple checking for accuracy. They're a lot heavier and kinda Tetris themselves together once in the jar, so while the goldfish (OG magic voodoo jar) was larger, there was a lot more air and free space between the individual pieces. The ants were super pliable and squishy so I just packed in as many as would fit, which was a lot! I was originally going to use only one jar but had enough for two, and who am I to deny you all?

I'm so glad everyone had fun with this. It was my pleasure hosting and I'm sure I'll be back next year - or possibly before - with more jars. Feel free to throw ideas my way if there's something you'd like to count and I may just make it a reality. ;)

Okay, I agree with all of you re: the almonds. I count out the items 3x for every jar I post - I may or may not be a masochist/perfectionist when it comes to these things - to ensure I have an accurate number. For bigger things like the goldfish or almonds, I count them out in groups of 20 since I'm less likely to make a numerical error if I can easily eyeball 5x clusters of 20 and add up each group of 100, then tack on the stragglers at the end. The almonds absolutely threw me because I figured there'd be something like ~300 in the smaller of my magic voodoo jars, but I mean it when I say the almonds were deceptively packable because there were definitely 567 even after triple checking for accuracy. They're a lot heavier and kinda Tetris themselves together once in the jar, so while the goldfish (OG magic voodoo jar) was larger, there was a lot more air and free space between the individual pieces. The ants were super pliable and squishy so I just packed in as many as would fit, which was a lot! I was originally going to use only one jar but had enough for two, and who am I to deny you all?

I'm so glad everyone had fun with this. It was my pleasure hosting and I'm sure I'll be back next year - or possibly before - with more jars. Feel free to throw ideas my way if there's something you'd like to count and I may just make it a reality. ;)
I'm comforted that at least you were shocked at the amount of almonds too. I started to question whether or not you had discovered a "micro almond" lol 😆. As always, it was really fun, even though my guesses were terrible. At least I never got a 0 for the amount of tokens for my guesses!

Back