• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Cosmic Canvas (Crews 3 & 4)

Mick

Stellar Wild Child
Staff
Artist
Bells
Island
Narnia
Blue Bunny Balloon
Yellow Bunny Balloon
Green Bunny Balloon
Red Bunny Balloon
Silver Star Glow Wand
Blue Train Engine
Yellow Caboose
Sleek Train Car
Floral Train Car
White Crescent Moon
1690897432098.png

We have a problem. Gulliver has gone missing, and we only have so much time before we need to head back. It is essential for us to start figuring out where on earth we are in space, so that we know which direction home is. This is where you come in: there are far too many stars around us, but if we each do our part in guessing which constellations they belong to, then on average we'll probably, maybe, figure out where we are. It's the best we can do without the captain around to use the navigation systems.

✨How to Participate

Draw a constellation on one of the starfields below and describe your observations in at least 50 words. Submit both to this thread 7pm EDT on Tuesday August 8th 2023.

5.png

6.png

7.png

8.png
p5.png

p6.png

p7.png

p8.png

It works like this:
Step 1. Look at the sky
1690897446041.png

Step 2. Connect the dots
1690897458036.png

Step 3. Describe your findings in at least 50 words
As you can clearly see, we are heading towards the 🐘 Elephant constellation right now. In the 1800's, the elephant constellation was believed to be where bananas came from, this is something still believed by certain conspiracy groups today. If I recall correctly, we take a right turn at its trunk to get home.

Step 4. (Optional) Include an artistic constellation interpretation to convince your friends that yours is better.
THIS STEP IS OPTIONAL.
It is not a requirement for getting your entry accepted. It is also not a replacement for step 2. Instead it's just for fun, or to try convincing others to vote you for crew favourite.
Your drawing, if you include one, must at least roughly follow the perspective/layout of your constellation. Cleaning up and tweaking the lines is allowed. Adding details, colours, backgrounds etc is all fair game!
1690897467290.png

✨Rules

To make sure we don't get lost and strand the entire crew out in the middle of deep space, please make sure to consider the following:
  • Your entry must be drawn on top of the images provided at the top of this post. Do not make or add stars yourself!
  • Your entry needs to include both a constellation and a description (at least 50 words) to be accepted.
  • Optional constellation drawings (step 4) are not a valid replacement for the constellation (step 2) itself.
  • There is no set theme for the constellations.
  • Do not edit your entry once submitted. If your entry needs to be changed, please reach out to @Mick.
  • Your entry needs to be signed with your TBT username.
  • Your constellation drawing fits the following criteria:
☑️ Do:
❌ Don't:
Try to draw lines between the stars like this:
1690897490282.png

to clearly show that you followed the stars.
Draw a single line, making it hard to see whether you actually connected stars
1690897498838.png

(although drawing over some stars is probably inevitable and therefore fine)
Keep your lines straight
1690897554016.png
Add detail by curving lines. If you want a smooth drawing, use optional step 4!
1690897510834.png
1690897517975.png
Your entry does not have to be in the middle.
It also does not need to cover the entire image.
1690897540370.png
Very abstract constellations.
The constellation below does not look like a bear!
1690897523981.png

✨How To Vote

The crew favourites are entirely community-decided. To vote, simply leave a reaction on the post of any entry. You can use either the (y) Like or :love: Love or any unlocked reaction, they will be added together. Entries that are approved will be marked by the staff with the accepted reaction, but don't wait for this to appear. Feel free to Like/Love any entries at any time!

While you can react to any entry, favourites will be decided only by votes from members of the same quarters.

✨Rewards

For your contribution to our ability to navigate the stars, you will earn:
  • 15 Observatory Tokens and 15 Points for your accepted entry
  • The top 3 crew favourites will earn an additional 8 Observatory Tokens. The top 1 will also receive a Rainbow Crescent Moon Collectible.

✨Submission Checklist

✅ Your entry has your TBT username on it
✅ Your drawing (at least loosely) connects stars into a shape
✅ If you included a coloured drawing, you have also still included your constellation image
✅ Your entry contains a 50+ word description of your observations, including a name for your constellation
✅ You are posting here before 7pm EDT on Tuesday, August 8.

✨FAQ

There have been no questions yet, but their answers will go here.

no way... not here...

image.png

we are nearing the dreaded zipper t constellation. it is said merely looking at it places a curse upon the viewer - witnesses of the zipper t have reported dizzy spells, insomnia, and some even mania. last time it was seen a woman went mad looking for "hidden eggs" all over her home. travelers, avert your gaze, you'll be safe so long as you don't see him.

i can't provide a drawn image, i may go insane​

question: are we allowed to use the printable version for digital entries as well? i’m having a hard time seeing with the black background 😅

The Bobstellation

fUkXn9J.jpg

Did ya know that August 8th is considered international Bob day?
The number 808 not only spells "Bob" forward, it spells it backwards, upside down, upside down backwards, in mirror image, in mirror image backwards... you get the idea.
In celebration of this remarkable event, the Bobstellation was created so that future generations may be blessed when the stars of Bob shine upon them. Mark it in your calendars people,
for Bob will soon be upon us.

PxnX1CH.png

question: are we allowed to use the printable version for digital entries as well? i’m having a hard time seeing with the black background 😅
That's not preferable, but if you really have to, sure!

I swear it's following us!

1691009403445.png

What a strange constellation. We have proof of an unidentified flying object with a similar shape! It was been terrorizing our crops and then flew to another unknown location. Could this be the same constellation from which these UFOs originated? I want to go take a closer look, but those stars are lightyears away! The odds of it being the same silhouette are minuscule, and yet there it is. I have to admit, it does look adorable.

Last edited by a moderator:
1691009484629.png

Okay Mick, it's time to stop playing. You MUST've put Ms. Jambette, my beloved, here in the stars on purpose. Otherwise how in the world did I spot her almost instantly? I'll take the bait and point her out, but I'd be shocked to high heavens if no one else is drawn to those enormous lips like me, a moth to a flame.

Okay maybe that was a lot but how else do I write 50 words about a woman that needs no introduction​

Last edited by a moderator:
8UapW4x.png

Okay Mick, it's time to stop playing. You MUST've put Ms. Jambette, my beloved, here in the stars on purpose. Otherwise how in the world did I spot her almost instantly? I'll take the bait and point her out, but I'd be shocked to high heavens if no one else is drawn to those enormous lips like me, a moth to a flame.

Okay maybe that was a lot but how else do I write 50 words about a woman that needs no introduction​
omg I was gonna do jambette too! this is amazing (I’ll come up with dif idea)

9xSgXNY.png

Being so far away from home, a wistful feeling found its way to my heart... To ease my thoughts, I decided to read from my beloved book, "The Starkeeper's Friendship" and suddenly, as I look out into the vastness of space, I'm comforted by the sight of a most beautiful constellation simply called "Gentle Beauty". Such a graceful shape... According to legends, it is said that if one follows the direction of the beak, it will lead to good fortune. But thinking about it now, I already feel quite fortunate. I realized then that, no matter how far away I am from my family and friends, we are always looking up at the same stars, so in a way, I am never truly lonely.

Drawing based on an actual short story I wrote, with a celestial creature I made up 🌌⭐💫
TeBKXMf.png

dg4hquw-8afcd5db-f821-4e53-88a9-4977996c6776.png

Wow, it looks like Halloween AND Christmas is just right around the corner! I look up to the sky and see the Zero constellation in all it's glory. Being so far away from home, it's a little reassuring seeing something familiar in this vast open space. It's quite lonely out here, but I know I can count on this constellation to help me come back home safely.

dg4hqur-8bd8ebb2-b259-42a1-bca2-c3d586090f85.png

cosmic canvas entry.png

This is a good sign—I've spotted the cutest constellation in the galaxy, the "Pink Slime"! This means we're within the general proximity of the Far, Far Range, a habitable planet only a thousand light-years away from Earth! Not only does this mean possible contact with other humans and a way back home, anyone with an interest in homesteading could also opt to stay and set up a slime ranch of their own and establish themselves in the plort-farming business. Most of the native fauna are friendly too—only a few will try to eat us!

cosmic canvas entry 2.png

"Take this flower, as a remembrance to find your way, or maybe find a new paradise if you're lucky."
constellationentry.png
I've seen this constellation long ago. It has a long history behind it.

They say that long ago, the crown flower is a symbol of hope. A symbol of finding a better future. Many people looked up to this constellation as a sign of the path to a distant paradise or a path to a promised land.

Many space sailors who were in awe of the constellation, were brought up by high hopes. But, this constellation is very rare sight. Because of the rarity of the constellation's appearance, many space sailors believed that the crown flower constellation will only show up to those who are pure of heart and honest of intentions.

The crown flower itself is a plant that is only found in the most isolated areas, especially the vast forests with wildflowers or mountain areas that no one could ever reach. It is so elusive that most people never believe it's existence, dismissing the flower as fiction.

The description for the crown flower's appearance is that the flower itself is made out of solid gold and that there were actual jewels in the flower.
constellationentry2.png

constellation entry zerous.png

Looking out from the observatory, you can observe the beautiful outline of the Space Whale. Space explorers have revered this constellation for centuries, as an accurate marker of the most common location to find pods of the beautiful creatures, as well as other native space fauna. Although the region is preserved out of respect, many groups often travel there for tours or preservation reasons.

A reimagining of the constellation to more accurately replicate the Space Whale can be seen below:

constellation entry zerous extra drawing.png

0FDF3EDD-F9B3-4A1A-BCC3-EC37F5BD18A0.png

And to our left you’ll notice a spiral grouping of stars; it’s none other than the illustrious fossil constellation! Revered for its beauty and stunning circular shape, this constellation has been hanging out in the galaxy since… well, prehistoric times probably. I don’t really know to be honest, because I’m not a historian or an astronomer I’m just a random camper on this space ship

Anyway, here’s my artistic interpretation of this constellation:
37BA4AE1-6F0B-461F-BF6C-CEC01B6F4CDC.png

🐘🌟🌈 🐘🌟🌈 🐘🌟🌈 🐘🌟🌈 🐘🌟🌈

the constellation of petrichor the rainbow watering can elephant is an uncommon myth, one mostly told in the classrooms of kindergarten students— mostly because the constellation itself looks like one of their drawings. should you ever see the outline of her in the sky, she will likely look like some sort of colourful blob at first glance, but if you really, really squint (and maybe close one eye), you can just barely make out the shape of an abnormal elephant. the story goes that she was bestowed upon the sky by mother nature herself, and that only those in her good graces can see her. so, try not to judge her wonky appearance too harshly— she is a friend of the earth and the stars, after all.

IMG_2485.png

i didn’t realize how much i relied on curved lines in my art HELP 🫢 i clearly struggled with this lmfao, but i hope i did this right? some of the stars i connected to were very faint, but they’re there!

IMG_0288.png

I ain’t even gonna lie that was hard work.

Here we have a ‘lil fish’ constellation. Look at his happy lil face! So I was just floating here and I was like what is that I can see? Is it a butterfly? Is it an octopus no it’s just a fish! So I just had to use the stars to crest an image in my head and here is my masterpiece 😆💜

IMG_0290.png

Back