• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What's your favorite metal genre? / Heavy Metal FAQ

Favorite genre?

• Traditional

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • Black

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Death

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • Doom

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Power

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Thrash

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Speed

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Folk

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Progressive

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • Symphonic

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • I only listen to the metal played on the radio *

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Metal is EVIL MUSIC **

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • I dont listen to metal at all!

Votes: 17 37.0%

• Total voters
Why do we care so much about the semantics here? Why not just enjoy the music?

- - - Post Merge - - -

My username is a Misfits reference btw.

It's fun to find out which type of music people like, that's all! Even I said I wouldn't debate what is and isn't considered "metal" (I mean there's always artists that everyone knows isn't metal...like we can all probably agree, for instance, The Civil Wars are not metal. more just like what's in that "grey area"....).

Also
I love the Misfits. Soon...I can play them 24/7.....

I always thought Iron Maiden (favorite band of all time) was power metal. Now I hear that its New Wave of British Metal. Could be both I guess.

So, has anyone got any really amazing/epic/ridiculous/absurd metal music videos they'd like to recommend to me?

My current favorite is an old old old music video from Turmion Katilot, Verta Ja Lihaa. It's still the most amazing, bizarre thing I've ever seen, since the first time I saw it back in high school.

I find that most Metal enthusiasts usually only like a couple of subgenres and then tend to dismiss the rest (often resorting to the same old "gatekeeping" crap), but I personally like all the subgenres of Metal (and that includes Glam Metal and Nu Metal). Choosing just one subgenre would be too difficult though. Some that I love and listen to the most are Heavy, Doom, Thrash, Black, Death, Industrial, Alternative and Gothic Metal (the previous three should've been featured in the poll as well).

Overall, I've always loved Metal, and the ignorance of its detractors won't ever diminish my enjoyment and enthusiasm for this kind of music (even if I've never been too fond of its subculture, which admittedly enough can be quite idiotic at times).

I literally pay no attention whatsoever to sub-genres. I just love metal in all its forms.

Some of my favorite bands include:
- Megadeth
- Disturbed
- Tool
- Korn
- Black Sabbath
- In This Moment
- Within Temptation
- X Japan
- Aldious
- Yousei Teikoku

I don't know exactly how each of them would be classified but most of them sound different enough to me that I'm sure I've got at least a few sub-genres covered. And there are many others that I love and didn't take the time to list.

i like metal but i dont like indulging myself in the subculture bwahaha................. metalheads can be very arrogant and elitist, especially towards other genres. idc if you think pop sucks and rap is crap, relax and listen to some britney spears or something i promise it doesnt hurt to drop the satanic tough guy persona

i also hate the war they have on emo/screamo but chances are they dont know what emo really sounds like which is ironic because theyre so worried about people labelling metal genres incorrectly. no, bring me the horizon is not emo and MCR being emo is a hot topic (PUN INTENDED) among people - try something like orchid or moss icon for emo and then criticize that if you dont like it
its fine to not like a subgenre as metal is very diverse - i do not like glam metal at all but that doesnt make it any less of a "real" metal genre. i dont like death metal either lol

im not an enthusiast like i used to be but i do really like alt metal. faith no more is one of my favourite bands and angel dust is an absolute gem of an album
from the top of my head primus, melvins, boris, alice in chains and soundgarden are others i tend to listen to, i like soad and linkin park too but theyre not metal enough I Guess

i used to be a huge metalhead but i just listen to primus and mr bungle (i think they count) now

Back