• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What's your favorite metal genre? / Heavy Metal FAQ

Favorite genre?

• Traditional

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • Black

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Death

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • Doom

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Power

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Thrash

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Speed

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Folk

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Progressive

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • Symphonic

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • I only listen to the metal played on the radio *

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Metal is EVIL MUSIC **

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • I dont listen to metal at all!

Votes: 17 37.0%

• Total voters

AskaRay

Bells
Switch
7917-6769-3469
September Birthstone (Sapphire)
*sorry to tell you but there really is no metal played on the radio. That's mostly hard rock (there are exceptions of course).
**you're thinking of black metal; most other metal actually doesn't do that.

Please give me recommendations for more death and doom metal! I have, like, none of that in my library. Thanks.
Also, I listen to a lot of metal, but mostly power metal. Why? ...I don't know. Because it's fun? Y'all can just talk to me about metal music, too. It's hard to find other fans, sometimes.

*warning, opinions
SO YOU WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT METAL? Oh, you don't?
Well, why not?
It's a fine genre if you know the type of music you want to listen to! Mostly because...it's many different genres. Let's go through a few "misconceptions" (or whatever you want to call them). I'll mark where swearing/language occurs, if not you can assume there is no bad language :)

A few good sites first:
METAL-ARCHIVES. I don't completely agree with everything on here, but it is a fantastic resource. Especially for lyrical content! Example: you want to know what a band sings about? Well, it'll tell you what they (generally) sing about! So if you want to hear bands that sing about dragons but not about zombies, it's very helpful.
MAP OF METAL. This literally maps out the way metal has evolved over the years. It's extremely helpful for when you want to know where a genre came from and the closest sounding musical relatives. I highly recommend looking at this right now.

Okay! Let's find a genre of metal for you. There will be links to the metal-archive and to a youtube clip!

**These are all small summaries of the actual genre. Surprisingly Wikipedia does a good job truly describing each genre, but I also suggest looking at the Map of Metal.**

"I don't like screaming!"/"Isn't metal only screaming?"
No, that isn't true. At all. A lot of metal genres have no screaming.
POWER METAL - Okay, not gonna lie, I love power metal. You'll also love power metal if you like 80's hair ballads. Most power metal has no screaming or swearing. A lot of bands sing about mythical lands, dragons, etc etc.
Examples:
Standard:
[MA] [YT] Kamelot - "Karma" is the best power metal album in existence
[MA] [YT] Falconer - any of their albums with Mathias Blad on them is pure ear heaven. Crosses with folk metal
[MA] [YT] Freedom Call - these guys are beyond ridiculous I love them so much
[MA] [YT] Dark Moor
[MA] [YT] Fairyland
If you like Dungeons and Dragons:
[MA] [YT] Blind Guardian - Lord of the Rings metal
[MA] [YT] Rhapsody of Fire - all of their albums tell a story, you have to start at the beginning if you want to follow it
If you like space operas:
[MA] [YT] Star One
[MA] [YT] Iron Savior - their whole discography is one giant space opera
If you like WWII/war:
[MA] [YT] Sabaton - They... sing about WWII. and WWI. and Lao Tsu (The Art of War).
If you like video games:
[Wiki] [YT] Powerglove - Instrumental metal video game covers
[MA] [YT] DragonForce - remember Guitar Hero?
"All of that is still too screamy."
That's fine, maybe you want some more melodic stuff to listen to:
SYMPHONIC METAL - This stuff, to put it lightly, is opera + guitars. Power and symphonic cross often. Mostly female singers in this genre.
Examples:
[MA] [YT] Nightwish - duo of female clean vocals and male harsh vocals, but still not all the way into "screamo" territory.
[MA] [YT] Within Temptation - if Nightwish is too heavy, then try them out! Their slower songs are nice and relaxing while the faster, heavier songs get your blood going. Also, their newest album has a song featuring Xzibit (I have no idea how this happened), so...if you like rap??
"Does Evanescence count?"
No, but they're symphonic rock, so try some symphonic metal. There's also gothic metal if you like the darker themes though.
GOTHIC METAL - Gothic rock with metal influences.
*language*
Examples:
[MA] [YT] Charon - disbanded :( However, no screaming! Very dark themes though.
[MA] [YT] Lacuna Coil
[MA] [YT] Poisonblack - defunct band Sentenced, but with a keyboardist
"Are you SURE Evanescen-"
Yes.

"Still too screamo!"
Fine. There's instrumental metal, too:
Examples:
[MA] [YT] Apocalyptica - were made famous by covering Metallica on cello. Sometimes they bring in guest singers from other rock and metal bands.
[MA] [YT] Yngwie Malmsteen
"I only listen to music from before 1985."
Well, you're missing out, since there's plenty of good stuff being made right now (it's just not on the radio or promoted anywhere, thanks record companies). But, if you insist:
NWOBHM - "New Wave of British Heavy Metal", came after bands like Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin.
Examples:
[MA] [YT] Iron Maiden
[MA] [YT] Motorhead
[MA] [YT] Venom
[MA] [YT] Saxon
[MA] [YT] Def Leppard
Want a little later, maybe mid-90s?
NWOAHM - Is apparently understood as "always confused with nu-metal". Heavily contested, will start flame wars.
Examples:
[MA] [YT] Pantera
[Wiki] [YT] Avenged Sevenfold
[MA] [YT] Black Label Society
the whole of melodic death metal

Nu-metal is different and not metal. Hard rock, yes; contains elements of metal, yes; but is it metal? No.
(it stands for "New Wave of American Heavy Metal", if you couldn't guess)
"I like dance music!"/"I really like Nine Inch Nails."
You wouldn't think these have anything in common, but, well, just wait:
INDUSTRIAL METAL - to put it simply it's like harder NIN. *heavy language on all bands*
Examples:
[MA][YT] Fear Factory
NEUE DEUSTCHE HARTE - "New German Hardness", it is similar to Industrial, but has more of a dance beat and is, of course, sung in German. *language/graphic*
Examples:
[Wiki] [YT] Rammstein - That band that plays "Du Hast", which is on the radio. It's a shame though since literally everything else they've ever done is better.
[Wiki] [YT] Eisbrecher - "Ice breaker"
[Wiki] [YT] Oomph!
"But I like drinking to crappy pop music!"
Why drink to crappy pop music when you can drink to metal drinking songs?
FOLK METAL - America doesn't really have folk metal, unless there's a Native American folk metal band around (and if there is PLEASE tell me about it), because it has more to do with the historic ancestry of the place the band lives. Mostly Vikings (because most of it is Norse), but that's a different section. *mild language*
Examples:
[MA] [YT] Korpiklaani - These guys have a ton of drinking songs, hunting songs, living-in-the-forest songs, etc. They are a lot of fun.
[MA] [YT] Tyr - They sing about the ancient Norse god of war, Tyr.
[MA] [YT] Eluveitie - Some of these songs DO have harsh vocals, but they're so good. They sing about the history of Gaul, sometimes in ancient Gaulish.
[MA] [YT] Ensiferum
PIRATE METAL - Not exactly folk metal, as it can be any type of metal (and have harsh vocals or not), but you can be guaranteed that there'll be drinking songs.
[MA] [YT] Running Wild - All clean vocals, all about pirates. Power metal.
[MA] [YT] Swashbuckle - Harsh vocals, also about conquering the high seas. Thrash metal.
[MA] [YT] Alestorm - Clean vocals, but the singing is pretty harsh...so, make your own call. Very good if you have your own pirate crew and you can all sing along. (Mostly) power/speed metal.
"I like progressive/post-rock already."
Then maybe you'll like progressive metal, it's prog rock with metal influences.
PROGRESSIVE METAL - If you like your songs over an hour with guitar solos you can't air guitar, then yes, this is for you. Very technical, time signature changes, etc.
Examples:
[MA] [YT] Dream Theater - Everyone should be listening to Dream Theater, anyway.
[MA] [YT] Ayreon - Actually not completely metal, however the leader of the project, Arjen Anthony Lucassen, hires many different metal musicians and vocalists to assist him. And, it's amazing. Lucassen also does a bunch of different projects, some rock and some metal, and you should pay attention to every single one of them.
Progressive Power Metal:
[MA] [YT] Symphony X
[MA] [YT] Sonata Arctica - they have slowly moved from power metal to progressive rock back to prog metal attempting power metal...
"I only listen to foreign bands."
Japan has a huge, huge, huge metal fanbase. In fact, pretty much all of Asia does, compared to the USA. Also, a lot of folk metal bands sing in their native language and not English.
Examples:
[MA] [YT] Loudness - 80's heavy metal, but in Japanese
[Wiki] [YT] BABYMETAL - Death metal vocals but with three Japanese girls.
[MA] [YT] Chthonic - Taiwanese Symphonic Folk Death Metal. Very harsh Chinese vocals. Also very good. They sing about the history of Taiwan.
[MA] ARIA - Russian Iron Maiden
"I really just like what's on the radio and I'm not open to expanding my musical boundaries at all."
That's awful, but we can work with it...
Like I said before, most of what is called 'metal' on the radio is just hard rock. Every once in a while, a metal band will make it's way onto the airwaves, though. Most are older bands, too. Look at that list made back in the "you don't listen to new music" section. That's all you're getting. And a splattering of melodeath bands (see below). As you can see, that's hardly anything representative of metal.
Add these bands:
[MA] Black Sabbath
[MA] Danzig
"I've listened to all of these suggestions and I hate them all."
Sorry :(

"Why don't you talk about death/thrash/speed/doom metal?"
This article is to help people get into metal who otherwise found it offputting, but hey if you wanna take the plunge, here: *language all over*
THRASH/SPEED METAL - Speed metal is just faster thrash metal, essentially. It's fast and loud.
The Big Four of Thrash Metal:
[MA] Metallica
[MA] Megadeth
[MA] Anthrax
[MA] Slayer
Other examples:
[MA] Helloween - speed metal before they pretty much invented power metal.
DEATH and DOOM METAL - I know next to nothing about these genres. I don't listen to them. If you have anything of these genres tell me about them please! I WANT to listen to more of it!
HOWEVER there is melodeath, melodic death metal, which is the likes of Bullet for my Valentine, Five Finger Death Punch, etc. They use melodic vocals with the harsher chords of death metal.
BLACK METAL - This is the "Satan will eat you" "devil"-music that metal gets its reputation from. I also don't know too much about this genre, band-wise. Sorry. There is the opposite, White Metal, which is just... Christian Metal. I don't know anything about it.
"You forgot a genre."
Yeah, probably.

Etc:
-RIP Ronnie James Dio
-Even American bands will release limited edition albums in Europe and Japan, but not here (USA). Incredible.
-Let's not go deep into which band is metal and which isn't. That is inviting a flame war and we don't need that.
-Clean vocals are just that, singing (sometimes falsetto). Harsh vocals can either be: gutteral growling or loud screaming.
-Feel free to correct me, I don't know everything.
-Type "Intro to Heavy Metal" into google and you'd find a better article probably, but hey!
-A sentence I never thought I'd hear live on the radio but heard last year: "Here's Ozzy with the world premier of the new Black Sabbath song!" I was so confused/happy.

- - - Post Merge - - -

(I. am. going. to. take. a. nap. now.)

Black/Drone/Stoner

Bang.

I'm not any kind of authority on this kind of thing, but I sure do enjoy it. For drone, I'd recommend SUNN O))) and Boris.

Black Metal- uh. I'm into the DSBM stuff.

Stoner- you have to listen to Weedeater, Electric Wizard, and Bongzilla. You just have to.

Does screamo count? Forgive me if I'm wrong or way off ;.; I like underoath, blessthefall, etc. The mix of singing but screaming. its different from metal, but I think it could be related

protest the hero is progressive metal right? i used to adore them when i was into metal. now i just listen to a lot of pop/indie music lol. sometimes i'll go back and listen to them if i'm in the mood

I am so bad at figuring out what bands I listen to are classified as, so this is a really helpful thread. o:

Mostly I listen to Power, Symhonic, and Industrial Metal. Blood Stain Child's later work might be a good example of Industrial Metal, if you need another example: C.E.0079 and Freedom.

Also, I LOVE THAT YOU LISTED ALESTORM. Seriously. Most hilarious pirate metal band forever. The last time I saw them, they were the headliners, and it was amazing~

Good thread, well done. : D

@Xanarcah - maaan I'm glad the thread helped you out :O OOh and thanks, I haven't heard of Blood Stained Child.
ALESTORM....I love them; my friends got to seem them and I wasn't in town and so I couldn't go.... ugh.

@jeizun - I haven't heard of Protest the Hero...until now....

@xaionu - people fight about whether that kind of music is true metal or not. Usually classified as "nu-metal" or "melodeath" depending on the specific music style.

@RevolverOcelot - YES thank you! No one I know listens to that type of metal and it's like...have no idea where to start. Sigh.

@Xanarcah - maaan I'm glad the thread helped you out :O OOh and thanks, I haven't heard of Blood Stained Child.
ALESTORM....I love them; my friends got to seem them and I wasn't in town and so I couldn't go.... ugh.

Blood Stain Child is a Japanese metal band that I really like. : D I maaaay be seeing them when I go to Tokyo in September. Their first and second albums apparently sound a lot like Children of Bodom, who I am only vaguely familiar with. Example: Silence Of Northern Hell. After that, albums 3+ sound more like the songs I linked earlier.

Alestorm is hilarious. xD Whether they're openers or headliners, they're always great. I've seen them 3 times now? Their concerts are WAY rowdy. As would be expected of pirate metal. But the people moshing and jigging are really good natured. I hope you make it out to one of their concerts, you won't be disappointed!

Blood Stain Child is a Japanese metal band that I really like. : D I maaaay be seeing them when I go to Tokyo in September. Their first and second albums apparently sound a lot like Children of Bodom, who I am only vaguely familiar with. Example: Silence Of Northern Hell. After that, albums 3+ sound more like the songs I linked earlier.

Alestorm is hilarious. xD Whether they're openers or headliners, they're always great. I've seen them 3 times now? Their concerts are WAY rowdy. As would be expected of pirate metal. But the people moshing and jigging are really good natured. I hope you make it out to one of their concerts, you won't be disappointed!
OH boy I hope you're able to see them then! When I was in Japan I was SO CLOSE to seeing Buck-Tick live (not metal, but I love them), alas, tickets were like $100 that I didn't have.
Yeah I hear the Children of Bodom in this song a bit.

UGH Please come back Alestorm I want to see you guys D: I swear they were either on tour with Blind Guardian (I still hate my friends for that I cannot believe they went to see them without me) or Kamelot (who has come back many times now so..no hard feelings)

- - - Post Merge - - -

i'm pretty open minded about all types...
i can't choose

whispers
listen to power metal come to the winning side

OH boy I hope you're able to see them then! When I was in Japan I was SO CLOSE to seeing Buck-Tick live (not metal, but I love them), alas, tickets were like $100 that I didn't have.
Yeah I hear the Children of Bodom in this song a bit.

UGH Please come back Alestorm I want to see you guys D: I swear they were either on tour with Blind Guardian (I still hate my friends for that I cannot believe they went to see them without me) or Kamelot (who has come back many times now so..no hard feelings)

Ooh, Buck-Tick, niiiice. o: Speaking of Japanese metal: I saw X Japan when they reformed and did a US tour a few years back. Amaaaaaaazing. Worth the $85 I spent on the ticket.

I checked Alestorm's website just last week or so and it looks like no US tours in the next year, sosad. D: Hopefully they come back soooooon.

Kamelot shows are always good. o: I never got to see them when Roy was the vocalist; my first show had Fabio filling in, and then Tommy was the new vocalist for the two or three after that.

UGH what I'm so jealous.. I want to see X Japan. I DID get to see Dir en grey a few months ago. They were amazing live; I hope they come back to the states.

Of course. -_- Though I do get to see Within Temptation and Sonata Arctica soon, so... yeah :D

I never saw them with Roy, either. I really wanted to, though.. My friend saw the show with Fabio, she said it was great. I would've like to see that, too. (I remember being so confused when they announced that...)
Though Tommy's great in his own way. I hope they come back soon...I enjoyed Silverthorn.

X Japan was SERIOUSLY the best concert I've ever been to. Just. The best. I wanted to see Luna Sea when they were doing concerts around that time too, but flying to LA wasn't an option for me.

I saw Dir en Grey the last time they toured too! They were the band that got me into JRock (and cosplay) a decade ago, so it was great seeing them again. My dream is to complete a working replica of Toshiya's Haunted Killer 3epo (the mechanical insect bass he used in the Myaku PV and during I'll/ZAN on the Osaka Hall Live DVD) and have them sign it.

Within Temptation isn't passing by my city on this tour, it looks like, and I'll be in Japan when Sonota Artica comes through, so it looks like I'll be seeing neither. D: I hope you enjoy yourself, though!

Man, Fabio was amazing. xD He was up there like he owned the stage. And he just played with the crowd during the "sing along" part of Forever. xD He hit a note and held it probably twice as long as anyone in the audience could, then pointed the mic at us and grinned while we tried.

Tommy's really settled into the band nicely, and figured out how to phrase the "great big volume knob" part of his dialogue. He still gets heckled a lot at shows, though. xD;

Oh man I remember getting into Dir en grey... it was weird though since I swear half the audience was under 18... it was surreal, like, y'all weren't alive when this band formed. (though really i'm one to talk, with all the bands I like, haha) Wooow good luck with that, it sounds so complicated D:

I am so glad that Forever is a concert staple of theirs, since it's my favorite song.. I mean honestly they could play all of Karma and I'd be good. Fabio sounds great. I bet a Rhapsody concert would be awesome to see, too..

Pfft some people can't get used to new singers, even if they fit the band well. D:
The first time I saw Kamelot though was with Nightwish, and that was the show that Anette called in sick (but they played anyway). It was a very...interesting show. I mean I had seen them before so, I knew what to expect. They had Elize sing some of the parts and Marco sang the rest.

OMG, why am I getting into this conversation so late?!?! I am a huge metalhead and you guys happen to be talking about one of my favorite acts, Blood Stain Child! I am SO hyped for this next album with Kiki. Judging by Last Stardust, it's gonna be insanely good! :D

I also love Buck-Tick, which you guys mentioned (even though they aren't metal) as well as Atsushi Sakurai's solo work, which is pretty much the same as Buck-Tick imo.

Back on topic, I listen to mostly, heavy metal, death metal, symphonic metal, industrial metal, and metalcore.

If you are looking to immerse yourself in some death metal, I suggest Behemoth, Aeon, and Bermuda (though they are more deathcore, but whatev, they are awesome). One thing to remember however is that death metal is primarily European, coming from Sweden, Poland, Norway, etc. so it can get a little complicated sometimes to differentiate bands from one another (which is why Ive started drifting towants deathcore and heavy metal lately >_<).

Well, I made a non-functional version of Haunted a while ago as my first major prop. I made a lot of mistakes and learned a lot of things. Hopefully a working version is within my grasp now. WIP pictures (sorry they're out of order... ), and result~ Just need to get around to making his Myaku costume (again, good grief) and I'll be good to go!

Forever is my favorite live. I wish they'd play Snow sometime, though. Karma was a great album. o: To be fair, a lot of the heckling Tommy got was along the lines of "you're a babe!". So, er, basically positive.

Anette calling in sick... I think that was the... Denver show? I heard it was good, considering the circumstances. I saw the show immediately after, the Seattle show. They flew Floor Jansen in for it, she had to memorize all the lyrics on the plane ride over. Not bad at all, considering.

Rhapsody is pretty awesome live, I went to see them after I heard Fabio with Kamelot. They had a nice set (which I knew very little of...), and Fabio sang Lamento Eroico and floored everyone. And then for their encore they played Holy Thunderforce, and the entire venue erupted in delighted chaos and a thousand people singing along.

Back