• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What's your favorite metal genre? / Heavy Metal FAQ

Favorite genre?

• Traditional

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • Black

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Death

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • Doom

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Power

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Thrash

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Speed

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Folk

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Progressive

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • Symphonic

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • I only listen to the metal played on the radio *

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Metal is EVIL MUSIC **

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • I dont listen to metal at all!

Votes: 17 37.0%

• Total voters
OMG, why am I getting into this conversation so late?!?! I am a huge metalhead and you guys happen to be talking about one of my favorite acts, Blood Stain Child! I am SO hyped for this next album with Kiki. Judging by Last Stardust, it's gonna be insanely good! :D

I also love Buck-Tick, which you guys mentioned (even though they aren't metal) as well as Atsushi Sakurai's solo work, which is pretty much the same as Buck-Tick imo.

Back on topic, I listen to mostly, heavy metal, death metal, symphonic metal, industrial metal, and metalcore.

If you are looking to immerse yourself in some death metal, I suggest Behemoth, Aeon, and Bermuda (though they are more deathcore, but whatev, they are awesome). One thing to remember however is that death metal is primarily European, coming from Sweden, Poland, Norway, etc. so it can get a little complicated sometimes to differentiate bands from one another (which is why Ive started drifting towants deathcore and heavy metal lately >_<).
I'm gonna have to look more into Blood Stain Child! Also more like, how have I not heard of them before..? Sigh.

Thanks for the recs! I have like..no reference point for the genres so... yeah
Haha, I don't mind them all being European I mean, most power metal's German, right? XD
Deathcore's okay, so is any -core band. I don't automatically hate anything like that; I mean, if it's good it's good!

Oooh boy all this new music to listen to..! (I say, as I stare at my music library going man i need to listen to all of this)

I feel like I should make a Buck-Tick thread *cough*

OMG, why am I getting into this conversation so late?!?! I am a huge metalhead and you guys happen to be talking about one of my favorite acts, Blood Stain Child! I am SO hyped for this next album with Kiki. Judging by Last Stardust, it's gonna be insanely good! :D

Welcome. xD

I'm really happy you know of Blood Stain Child. : D

Well, I made a non-functional version of Haunted a while ago as my first major prop. I made a lot of mistakes and learned a lot of things. Hopefully a working version is within my grasp now. WIP pictures (sorry they're out of order... ), and result~ Just need to get around to making his Myaku costume (again, good grief) and I'll be good to go!

Forever is my favorite live. I wish they'd play Snow sometime, though. Karma was a great album. o: To be fair, a lot of the heckling Tommy got was along the lines of "you're a babe!". So, er, basically positive.

Anette calling in sick... I think that was the... Denver show? I heard it was good, considering the circumstances. I saw the show immediately after, the Seattle show. They flew Floor Jansen in for it, she had to memorize all the lyrics on the plane ride over. Not bad at all, considering.

Rhapsody is pretty awesome live, I went to see them after I heard Fabio with Kamelot. They had a nice set (which I knew very little of...), and Fabio sang Lamento Eroico and floored everyone. And then for their encore they played Holy Thunderforce, and the entire venue erupted in delighted chaos and a thousand people singing along.
Holy cow that must've taken forever....that is beyond impressive. Good luck with that outfit, ahah.

Oh, Snow would be good.... I dont think they've ever played it here live. Karma is my favorite power metal album, if anything can beat it i haven't heard it yet.
(Tommy is a babe so, understandable)

Yeah, it was in Denver. There was so much crowd energy and support, it was great. I mean, Tuomas came on stage and essentially begged to not be canceled. (I mean, Troy said all the words and he stood there, but same thing). I do wanna see Floor live, though. And I'm glad they finally came out and just went "Yeah, she's the new singer." I'm so excited for that.

It's hard to keep up with all of Rhapsody's stuff. I like to sit down and go through the story, and that takes....a while... so yeah.
Ugh, it sounds like a great live show.

Bands please come by Denver more, cmon. Its not like there's anything else in the middle of the country, c'mooon.

I've been listening to a lot of Japanese metal recently, Nocturnal Bloodlust is a pretty good example, I mean they still sing in a few songs but for the most part they make pretty heavy music. Thy art is Murder is something I've recently found, they're really good! They'd fall under the Doom/Death/Black metal category best in my opinion.

Hm, I like industrial metal, nu metal (Korn, Slipknot...), neue deutsche Harte (Rammstein!^^ You're right btw; "du hast" really isn't their best song), gothic metal and non-English metal (okay, dir en grey and dir en grey and dir en grey :'D) but none of that is in the poll.
Also many of the bands I like are classified as "alternative metal" (for example System of a Down) which isn't really helpful.
I like your categories & explanations though~

Last edited:
Holy cow that must've taken forever....that is beyond impressive. Good luck with that outfit, ahah.

Oh, Snow would be good.... I dont think they've ever played it here live. Karma is my favorite power metal album, if anything can beat it i haven't heard it yet.
(Tommy is a babe so, understandable)

Yeah, it was in Denver. There was so much crowd energy and support, it was great. I mean, Tuomas came on stage and essentially begged to not be canceled. (I mean, Troy said all the words and he stood there, but same thing). I do wanna see Floor live, though. And I'm glad they finally came out and just went "Yeah, she's the new singer." I'm so excited for that.

It's hard to keep up with all of Rhapsody's stuff. I like to sit down and go through the story, and that takes....a while... so yeah.
Ugh, it sounds like a great live show.

Bands please come by Denver more, cmon. Its not like there's anything else in the middle of the country, c'mooon.
Thanks. xD; That bass is taller than I am and weighs a little more than a real bass does, but the sheer amount of attention I get hauling it around conventions makes it worth it~ I had to learn a lot of new materials and techniques (thermoplastics and two part apoxies) for it, but I'm sure the second try will be more impressive. Or at least I'll make fewer mistakes.

Snow hasn't been played, at least in the last few years, to my knowledge. But I want to hear it. .-. (Tommy is totally a babe; it's also really cute when he's embarrassed onstage~)

I read about the Denver show afterwards and was really impressed that everyone pulled together to make it work. It must be such a great feeling for a band to see exactly how much their fans support them. I really want to see Nightwish again now that Floor's had a chance to settle into her new role.

Seattle's got a pretty good share of bands passing through, which I'm really happy about. : D Every tour list I look at, bands keep going to like, 3 cities in California, and then skip Oregon altogether whoops and stop in Seattle. xD;

Hm, I like industrial metal, nu metal (Korn, Slipknot...), neue deutsche Harte (Rammstein!^^ You're right btw; "du hast" really isn't their best song), gothic metal and non-English metal (okay, dir en grey and dir en grey and dir en grey :'D) but none of that is in the poll.
Also many of the bands I like are classified as "alternative metal" (for example System of a Down) which isn't really helpful.
I like your categories & explanations though~
URGH I knew i forgot a genre in the poll... ugh
IDK if I think nu-metal is actual metal..............but i do like some of it (like Slipknot)
I dont like the tag "alternative" anything but that's a completely different discussion i dont wanna get into haha...

HM I think Dir en grey would go under... probably just traditional, or maybe ..hm. IDK.
it drives me nuts that Du Hast is the only song they play. Play Amerika or something at LEAST come on.

:D I'm glad you found it helpful!

@Cazqui - thanks! Honestly the heavier, the better for me...

Thanks. xD; That bass is taller than I am and weighs a little more than a real bass does, but the sheer amount of attention I get hauling it around conventions makes it worth it~ I had to learn a lot of new materials and techniques (thermoplastics and two part apoxies) for it, but I'm sure the second try will be more impressive. Or at least I'll make fewer mistakes.

Snow hasn't been played, at least in the last few years, to my knowledge. But I want to hear it. .-. (Tommy is totally a babe; it's also really cute when he's embarrassed onstage~)

I read about the Denver show afterwards and was really impressed that everyone pulled together to make it work. It must be such a great feeling for a band to see exactly how much their fans support them. I really want to see Nightwish again now that Floor's had a chance to settle into her new role.

Seattle's got a pretty good share of bands passing through, which I'm really happy about. : D Every tour list I look at, bands keep going to like, 3 cities in California, and then skip Oregon altogether whoops and stop in Seattle. xD;

I wish I could get into cosplay, but I still dont think I could do something that complicated with a prop... geez. True, now when you do the real bass, it'll be flawless :O
Since Tuomas did his solo...project...thing.. I think they're getting ready to write more. One can only hope :3

Haha sometimes it feels like bands only know about CA and NY and then... that's it. At least Seattle's on the coast XD they have to cross mountains and stuff to get here.

- - - Post Merge - - -

do Swans and Deafheaven count? if so, that's about as far as I go.

Well, M-A says Deafheaven is a black metal band but Swans? IDK
I haven't heard of either... :O

URGH I knew i forgot a genre in the poll... ugh
IDK if I think nu-metal is actual metal..............but i do like some of it (like Slipknot)
I dont like the tag "alternative" anything but that's a completely different discussion i dont wanna get into haha...

HM I think Dir en grey would go under... probably just traditional, or maybe ..hm. IDK.
it drives me nuts that Du Hast is the only song they play. Play Amerika or something at LEAST come on.

:D I'm glad you found it helpful!

@Cazqui - thanks! Honestly the heavier, the better for me...

Is this heavy enough?

Drone/Doom Metal/Funeral Doom is not exactly easy listening, but I prefer the slow creep to getting blasted in the face.

Bands you might want to check out in the 'drone' category
- Khanate
- Earth
- Sunn O)))
- Boris (like I said before)

I'd say it's mostly characterized by creating kind of an atmosphere that's supremely- disconnecting. I think the important thing to remember is that it's really not supposed to be a PLEASANT experience, just an experience, and opening yourself up to that. Earth and Boris are lighter listening, while Sunn O))) and Khanate are heavy.

As for Black Metal- you can go anywhere with that.

Start with Burzum to get a grip on your roots, then maybe try something more 'mainstream' like Immortal. Most black metal bands don't want public recognition outside of their own circles, so digging for them is kinda hard. I like SVN-OKKLT for this reason.

Personally, I like the black metal sub-genre called DSBM. Or just DBM- Depressive Black Metal. It takes on a nice melodic quality, I think.

Here's an example from Woods of Desolation , and Coldworld. [TW : Suicidal Ideation.]

That is the end of my essay on metals. Thanks you.

Last edited:
Drone/Doom Metal/Funeral Doom is not exactly easy listening, but I prefer the slow creep to getting blasted in the face.

Bands you might want to check out in the 'drone' category
- Khanate
- Earth
- Sunn O)))
- Boris (like I said before)

I'd say it's mostly characterized by creating kind of an atmosphere that's supremely- disconnecting. I think the important thing to remember is that it's really not supposed to be a PLEASANT experience, just an experience, and opening yourself up to that. Earth and Boris are lighter listening, while Sunn O))) and Khanate are heavy.

As for Black Metal- you can go anywhere with that.

Start with Burzum to get a grip on your roots, then maybe try something more 'mainstream' like Immortal. Most black metal bands don't want public recognition outside of their own circles, so digging for them is kinda hard. I like SVN-OKKLT for this reason.

Personally, I like the black metal sub-genre called DSBM. Or just DBM- Depressive Black Metal. It takes on a nice melodic quality, I think.

Here's an example from Woods of Desolation , and Coldworld. [TW : Suicidal Ideation.]

That is the end of my essay on metals. Thanks you.

Oh, thank you! This is very helpful.
I didn't really know about the different subgenres in each category. I'll look into them :D

And the Nocturnal Bloodlust song you posted was good, helps me stay awake honestly

Really as long as I can find the beat in a song, I'm good
it can be weird but if it's there I'm okay...

I wish I could get into cosplay, but I still dont think I could do something that complicated with a prop... geez. True, now when you do the real bass, it'll be flawless :O
Since Tuomas did his solo...project...thing.. I think they're getting ready to write more. One can only hope :3

Haha sometimes it feels like bands only know about CA and NY and then... that's it. At least Seattle's on the coast XD they have to cross mountains and stuff to get here.

I was 8 years into cosplaying before I attempted that beast, so it's understandable. xD;

Hopefully Kamelot come and do another US tour for their next album. o: Did you get to see them the last time they came, with Eklipse as an opening band?

Right, though? I hate when some NA tours are like "New York, LA, Toronto, done". .-.

Denver looks like it should get pretty decent traffic, since it's a major city that's pretty far from other concert-heavy cities?

Seattle gets some bands that I'm really surprised about. Like Aural Vampire and B'z (neither of whom are metal, whoops). Maybe because it's on the coast and a very "asian" city?

I was 8 years into cosplaying before I attempted that beast, so it's understandable. xD;

Hopefully Kamelot come and do another US tour for their next album. o: Did you get to see them the last time they came, with Eklipse as an opening band?

Right, though? I hate when some NA tours are like "New York, LA, Toronto, done". .-.

Denver looks like it should get pretty decent traffic, since it's a major city that's pretty far from other concert-heavy cities?

Seattle gets some bands that I'm really surprised about. Like Aural Vampire and B'z (neither of whom are metal, whoops). Maybe because it's on the coast and a very "asian" city?
Yeah, I did! That show was great. The venue wasn't too big, and we got to be right up in the front (not to mention they handed out the standard water during Forever...ugh I was about to die at that point but I didn't want to leave..)
I hadn't heard of Eklipse until then, either; they were really good :O

Actually I think you're right, Denver does get a bunch of bands... like Paganfest came by this year and I got to see Turisas and Korpiklaani, two bands I never thought I'd see live (amazing, btw).
Buuut yeah since I listen to a lot of Asian bands in general, they never really end up coming over here. Usually American/European bands end up hitting Denver. USUALLY. I remember last time Within Temptation was here they just sort of...ignored Denver....

unless you're AFI and have no Denver dates for their personal tour... that isn't metal so I wont get into how upset I am about that...

Man I love metal and punk. I've been listen to heavy metal for years. I mainly listen to punk like The Used and My Chemical Romance these days. Although I'll still tune to heavy metal or progressive metal. I'll have to go with progressive metal though for one reason and one reason only: Dream Theater!

Dream theater is by far the best heavy metal band I've ever listened to, hands down. They even make Dragon Force look weak. These guys are amazing and very addictive. I can listen to their songs all day. I especially love when they make their songs 10 to 20 minutes long haha. Stream of Conciousness and Octavarium blew my mind when I first listened to them. I also absolutely love Wither. There are so much more but I won't lust them all haha.

Yay a thread dedicated to metal ^^.

I like Symphonic, Death, and Black. I actually just like them all but my favorite are those three, while my least favorite are probably power and speed.

Nightwish has been one of my favorite bands since my brothers introduced me to them when I was like 8, so today I am a little broken because Jukka is taking a break from playing in the band due to health issues. ): One of the things I love about Nightwish is that it isn't the "speedy-powerish" symphonic metal most bands in the genre are like. Both Tuomas and Emppo have said they don't like guitar solos, which gives the last album a beautiful music-oriented album without all the "virtuosismo".

I think Death and Black are either love them or hate them. I didn't like them at all but they kinda grew on me. I like the approach Carach Angren gives to Black Metal, blending Symphonic Metal, and the touch Septicflesh gives Death Metal, also blinding Symphonic Metal hahaha. Oh but I also like the "raw" forms of them. Behemoth has grown on me in the last few months.

Oh and I like Babymetal, no matter what anyone here says. ^^ When I got into anime I loved J-Pop, then I got tired of it. So Babymetal is like a blend of the music I used to love and the music I like now.

@Kane
RIP My Chemical Romance.... I was so upset when they said they were breaking up. Ahhh.............
I love Dream Theater. I still cannot believe Portnoy left... siiigh

Yay a thread dedicated to metal ^^.

I like Symphonic, Death, and Black. I actually just like them all but my favorite are those three, while my least favorite are probably power and speed.

Nightwish has been one of my favorite bands since my brothers introduced me to them when I was like 8, so today I am a little broken because Jukka is taking a break from playing in the band due to health issues. ): One of the things I love about Nightwish is that it isn't the "speedy-powerish" symphonic metal most bands in the genre are like. Both Tuomas and Emppo have said they don't like guitar solos, which gives the last album a beautiful music-oriented album without all the "virtuosismo".

I think Death and Black are either love them or hate them. I didn't like them at all but they kinda grew on me. I like the approach Carach Angren gives to Black Metal, blending Symphonic Metal, and the touch Septicflesh gives Death Metal, also blinding Symphonic Metal hahaha. Oh but I also like the "raw" forms of them. Behemoth has grown on me in the last few months.

Oh and I like Babymetal, no matter what anyone here says. ^^ When I got into anime I loved J-Pop, then I got tired of it. So Babymetal is like a blend of the music I used to love and the music I like now.
Gasp! Don't like power metal?? HERESY
I'm kidding, I'm kidding, hahaha

But really more importantly, Jukka is ill? That's terrible.. I hope he recovers soon!

I feel like a lot of people I've talked to had death metal grow on them..maybe it's just a thing, who knows.

That's how I feel about Babymetal, too. A lot of people are like, pfft not real metal and it's like... why? They're pretty metal... and pretty great. Always need more girls in metal. Have you heard of Doll$Boxx? They're really good, too.

I don't listen to too much metal, but Iron Maiden and Judas Priest will probably always be my top favorites. Even if they're considered old now.

industrial metal, neue deustche harte, I prefer
I like some symphonic metal bands
progressive metal as well.

I saw xjapan was mentioned . I never really got into them. also Buck-tick. for me I prefer Atsushi Sakurai solo stuff.
but Imai's other groups like schwein and schaft I really loved. soundwitch is good. someone should start a japanese music thread. :) abigal williams (death metal) I was a big fan of their Legends Ep.

@Kane
RIP My Chemical Romance.... I was so upset when they said they were breaking up. Ahhh.............
I love Dream Theater. I still cannot believe Portnoy left... siiigh

Gasp! Don't like power metal?? HERESY
I'm kidding, I'm kidding, hahaha

But really more importantly, Jukka is ill? That's terrible.. I hope he recovers soon!

I feel like a lot of people I've talked to had death metal grow on them..maybe it's just a thing, who knows.

That's how I feel about Babymetal, too. A lot of people are like, pfft not real metal and it's like... why? They're pretty metal... and pretty great. Always need more girls in metal. Have you heard of Doll$Boxx? They're really good, too.

Never heard of them but when I return home from school I will try to play that internet (my internet is really slow ^^; ).

Oh it's not that I don't like Power Metal, its just one of my "least favorite metal genres". To be honest when a power metal song comes in my playlist, I usually skip it, but I tend to have different moods for different songs. There are times when I cannot even listen to my favorite band and prefer other bands instead.

Back