• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Opinions on mods in games?

I never had interest in mods until I started playing Stardew Valley. I don’t remember what made me start checking out mods but I became obsessed with them and I love how much they can add to a game!

I don’t mind mods in game I love the Sims 4 mods haha but I have always wanted to try the stardew valley mods but I only play on the switch and you can only get mods on PC? is that correct ?

As long as it isn't something that will effect other players (either cheating in competitive play or hacking like what NL is facing with Tortimer Island) I really don't mind mods at all, it's none of my business how people choose to play their games. I do think mods that change character skins is super cool though (like I've seen people make Zelda playable in BOTW and people making unique furniture in NH) and stuff like randomizers are also very cool. Personally haven't modded my actual systems/games, but I do have emulated pokemon games to play randomizers and really want to try out the Majora's Mask randomizer one day.

Depending on the mod and game (PvP, competitive, etc..) I have no issues with it. Have at it, just don't ruin MY fun lol

some games i play, mods are almost necessary due to poor optimization/old engines. otherwise, i love mods.

I adore mods, but have used them almost exclusively in The Sims series. I can not play The Sims series games without mods and Custom Content. In The Sims 4, I actually got bold and learned some basics of modding and Custom Content and I have made a couple of small (aesthetic) mods and brought a ton of CC (some I release publicly, some I keep to myself - especially the ones that are models from other games).

Mods add much needed depth, especially in a game like The Sims 4 which is pretty shallow to begin with. I have an LGBT mod that parses out a percentage of the population to be LGBT by each and it's great for variety in the game. It also automatically sets sims you play so you never know how a sim baby you have will grow up! I also like the added Likes and Dislikes mods, where I now have likes and dislikes for weather and seasons. I have mods for added traits and mods for more realistic pregnancy and romance, etc.,etc. I have so many mods it's hard to know where to start. They're all a necessity to me!

My favorite, though, is the playable oboe that JaneSimsten did!!! <3
bBVeQqV.png

(my happy Simself playing my favorite instrument!)

JaneSimsten is the first modder I have ever found that can make new instruments that are fully implemented into every game system and have all of the depth of the EA made instruments. When she was willing to make woodwind instruments I was so happy!

But also, as a CC creator myself, I love the freedom to just put whatever I want in the game. I have toys of my favorite Pokemon, toys of G1 and G3 MLP, I have decorative versions of almost every instrument in the wind ensemble, I have models of the shawm and aulos that I created. I have personal paintings/wall decor. I also have created tons of Christmas CC! I adore the freedom of being a CC creator!!

It makes me wish Animal Crossing had a PC edition. The custom content possibilities would make Animal Crossing amazing.

Last edited:
Mods are a hugh part of gaming now. Look at Bethesda games like Skyrim - they have a hugh modder scene and are part of the game.

Mods can be amazing and can give you a lot of fun playing with them. I also used mods for stardew and it was more fun for me this way.

What I want to say is: Gaming is changing and mods are a part of it and I dom't mean cheating in online games by any means.

As long as they are used responsibly, e.g. no cheating in multiplayer games and ruining it for other people, mods are only ever a good thing.
Except for NSFW mods, because I really don’t need Shirtless Reno FFVIIR clogging my Nexus homescreen. Nobody wants to see that.

I only use it in offline single player games, but mods are really addicting to use as long as it doesn't destroy the game.

I try to make my own whenever I can't find anything that fits my needs and it's worth it even if it takes a lot of time and instructions.

I don't really care for them. I did replace my horse in Stardew Valley with Altaria though.

Back