• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Opinions on mods in games?

CylieDanny

🔥The Spicy Prince🔥
Bells
Island
Fuggire
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Fortune Cookie
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
So me and my friend have been playing Stardew Valley for a year, and she susgested that I mode Sebastian's dialogue to get more romantic responses from him.

I personally don't mind what he says, because it fits his character. I also don't think that being a romantic, fits his character. However, she might do it for her's. She says mods are fun,

The only time I used a mod was to get a leopard in Sims 2. I also used one to add frogs to my Zoo, on zoo tycoon 2. If those count as mods.

But I see mods all the time in games, which people use. Im mixed about them, but how do you feel about mods?

Last edited:
Provided they're not used for cheating in online games or for illegal or nefarious purposes, expanding the breadth of things you can do with a game is only ever a good thing. Any publisher ought to be proud if they manage to create a game which fosters a creative community that cares enough to modify the game for quality of life improvements, to express aesthetic preferences and personality, or to simply expand on the content with new ways to play the game.

Unless you're Rockstar, in which case you should probably sue your loving and creative fanbase into oblivion and then force them to play garbage tier remakes that are worse than the vanilla, un-modded versions of the games you're suing over in the first place. You decide which is the more heinous punishment.

I love using mods. I have dozens of mods in both the sims 3 and 4 and the games take forever to load because of it. I only have one mod in Stardew Valley which removes relationship decay.

I've only ever used mods in Sims 4, mostly, custom content to add more clothes, hairstyles, and furniture into the game. I think mods are okay if they allow you to have more creativity in the game. Sims 4 doesn't have much furniture, clothes, or hairstyles, so this mod to me is okay.

Mods in general are amazing for games and give them a fresh new feel when playing them again and also add a lot of improvements in certain areas. My problem is they give you TOO much power and I end up going overboard trying to look for more and more new mods to add instead of actually playing the game with them. I spend way more time downloading mods and adjusting my load order for Skyrim than actually playing the game. I love mods, but I definitely feel like they're a huge distraction from the main game. At least for me.

I've only ever used mods in Sims 4, mostly, custom content to add more clothes, hairstyles, and furniture into the game. I think mods are okay if they allow you to have more creativity in the game. Sims 4 doesn't have much furniture, clothes, or hairstyles, so this mod to me is okay.
i have sims 3 and its the same thing!! b4 i literally had like nothin cute and when i got mods it was so much better!

On one hand mods can improve single player games and make them feel more alive. Like GTA 5 for example there are really great mods that make the game look great and of course have a lot of real life elements to make it feel more realistic. However, it sometimes is not acceptable in multiplayer games where players can abuse mods to cheat their way through winning and they sometimes mess up other people's game.

Overall mods do help improve games which sometimes developers don't ever do, but the one rare moment is when Sonic Mania was made thanks to a modder and the Sega team helped out as well. I wish this is something that developers and modders can work together to make games, but sadly most gaming companies have become too greedy with money and don't complete games fully.

Mods are great. They just add more ways to enjoy a game you like. No matter how much I like a game, the base content isn't going to keep me going forever. Mods fix that issue by at least adding various amounts of time to a game I'm finished with. Whole new area? Done. New enemies? Done. Quests? Bang! Maybe you just want pink hair. BAM, DONE!

There's also mods that fix a game. Ever played a Bethesda game on launch? Don't bother unless you're going to download the user mod somebody managed to throw out the same day which fixes those piles of trash.

I frown upon mods in competitive multiplayer but even then, Garry's Mod is an exception as the game is basically just mods.

I also don't like the idea of mods that are straight up cheating...But that's the beautiful thing, these are all optional things. If somebody wants to make themselves invincible then go ahead and have fun not being able to die, I'll be over there riding a squirrel that looks like Macho Man Randy Savage and delivering rainbows to Master Chief.

As long as it’s not cheating, I don’t see a problem. I used to play Mario Kart Wii with mods. I was a hacker with one of my friends. I won’t go into details, because forum rules, I guess. I didn’t hack to win, though, so I wasn’t one of the bad people, lol. I did like using the custom tracks, though. They were fun, especially online.

Mods are fun. They enhance a gameplay catered towards your own enjoyement. I used to be so addicted to SDV mods (I mainly have item mods and recolor mods) and Skyrim mods (I was bad at the game when I was 14 so I added a mod that gave me an invincible tiger……. it was fun). Heck, if I wasn’t trading for online items, I’d also be super down for ACNH mods. I want those star frag trees, unlimited NMTs, duplicate items, heh.

Of course, it should be standard to be careful with adding mods esp. when playing online, because some companies don’t really like them (boo, Nintendo). And mods should definitely be banned in competitions for obvious reasons.

(P.S.: If anyone misunderstood, no, I don’t mod my ACNH game LOL I‘m technologically dumb. I don’t like running the risk of bricking my switch or breaking my ACNH game completely. I play the game as it is.)

I simply don't use mods, but I'm not against them if you are playing by yourself or in a group that everyone involved mutually agrees.

The thing with Stardew Valley though, to me at least it feels like people like it so much not because of the game itself but because of all the mods. I mean there are people who use mods so much you almost don't even recognize the game nor the dialog of the game. At that point, you should just make your own game is how I feel.

Some games on Steam have a mod workshop that the dev allows and some devs make their game in such a way to where it makes it easier for people to mod because they want to encourage creativity and stuff.

The thing with Stardew Valley though, to me at least it feels like people like it so much not because of the game itself but because of all the mods. I mean there are people who use mods so much you almost don't even recognize the game nor the dialog of the game. At that point, you should just make your own game is how I feel.
I mean, that's essentially what they're doing. Using the base game's engine and resources to create an entirely new experience. The same way that a number of Half-Life and Half-Life 2 mods essentially overhaul the game into something completely different, whilst still requiring the original game to run.

I mean, that's essentially what they're doing. Using the base game's engine and resources to create an entirely new experience. The same way that a number of Half-Life and Half-Life 2 mods essentially overhaul the game into something completely different, whilst still requiring the original game to run.
I just find it sad that there have been multiple people who told others on social media that Stardew Valley isn't worth playing without mods.

I just find it sad that there have been multiple people who told others on social media that Stardew Valley isn't worth playing without mods.
That's fair enough. It's a great game and mods definitely add another layer on top of that. But the vanilla version is great as is.

It has taken me forever to realise about Mods for Sims 4 and I am annoyed it to me so long to get into them as I am enjoying the game play much more now.

The only experience I ever made with mods was in Minecraft. It was super fun! 😀 I don’t care about mods in other games though.

I only use the mods if the game’s buggy without them (Skyrim) or I’ve already put tons of hours into the vanilla version (Stardew Valley, Pokemon, and Minecraft). Otherwise I don’t mess with them. Usually I’d rather play the way the developers intended.

Mods are good, and depending on the game they can definitely help elevate it to new levels. Admittedly I don't play too many games on PC, so I don't really have the chance to use mods too often. It hasn't been brought up here yet, but randomizer mods are my favorite type of mods. I've really only played with the Majora's Mask randomizer, but there are a bunch of games with randomizers these days and they're really fun to play with and watch as well.

I'm personally not a fan of mods, they're so strange to me. Especially mods for stardew valley, like the game is perfect, it doesn't need mods! But I know -- to each their own.

I just feel like I should play the OG game, as intended.

I don't hate mods, I just don't use them, since I prefer to play games as the developers intended them to be played. I'm fine with other people using them though, as long as they don't use them to cheat. I also don't think that anyone should be pressured into an opinion about them or be told one way is "better" than the other. In the end, it's your game so you should decide how you want to play it.

Back