• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

How long does it take you to make your character in games?

CylieDanny

🔥The Spicy Prince🔥
Bells
Island
Fuggire
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Fortune Cookie
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Depending on the customizing options it can take a really long time for me xD I mean my stardew character took a long time to design lol. I always take a while to design characters. That one took awhile haha.

Same goes for Pokémon where you unlock hair and clothes in sword. Though I always do a ponytail if that's avaliable. Pretty much any game I have ever played, I take my sweet time.

Animal crossing, eh. It didn't take long to make Kobe. I was modeling him off my old ac character. L

But games with large customizing selections, oh boy xD I enjoy my long period of customizing.
---
How about you? Do you like designing your own character in games?

Hmm, I think it definitely depends on the game's art style, as well as the amount of customization options.

With most Pokémon games, I customize pretty quickly. Most of the time, I'm lucky in that my favourite haircut ends up being a default one. The clothing choices haven't been my cup of tea in a long time, so it's whatever I think looks decent.

ACNH? I was always updating my character as I went along. Took a fair amount of time overall!

Other games definitely vary. But I don't think I spend too much time on them, even with larger options - I'm impatient and like to get into the game itself, haha. I do like the option to customize my character, even if it's just a little bit.

It takes me a while to make Miis, especially if I’m making pets, celebrities, politicians, historical figures, and/or fictional characters. Perfecting the Downton Abbey characters was fun.

It didn’t take me long to make my character in New Horizons…mostly because my Switch was on low battery lol.

Making a character in a game usually only takes a few minutes, maybe more depending on how complex the character creator is or how many options it has. Naming the character though takes hours at best!

It takes me a good amount of time, especially if you can't change certain features later on, like eye shape, for instance. I want my character to look somewhat decent as they are usually based off myself. I was very happy Pokémon Violet/Scarlet had enough customization options that my character could have blue hair. That's a very distinct feature of myself and it means a lot to me. I don't think anyone rushes through character customization. You'll be playing as the character and spending lots of time with them, so it's very important you like what you see. I know I couldn't play as a character I saw as myself if I didn't like what they looked like.

For me it rarely takes more than half an hour, though that may be because most games I usually play have extremely rudimentary character customization features, so of course it wouldn't take a long time.

O yeah, it usually take me a long time too. Now I kinda have the default basic look of my character (skin, eyes and hair color) that gets repeated through various games, but the more options for customisation the longer the process, obviously. It happened to be hours in some cases, but I still enjoyed it.

Not very much time. I prefer games with a set character over games where I have to make my own. I find I don’t feel as attached to them when they’re blank slates, sometimes.

It's kind of silly for some games because for over half of the game you can't even see your character's facial features. Like Bethesda-esque games where there's so many features/sliders for your character's looks and then it's 1st person anyway.

it takes me a good amount of time. i have a few exceptions where i prefer to use the canon character. but like in stardew, i was so indecisive i ended up making a bunch of different saves with different options.

It depends on the level of customization options for me as well. For example, if I'm in create a sim, I'm going to be there for 45min to an hour with all the different sliders & setting different outfits. I also spent a lot of time in Saints Row's character creator.

For games like Animal Crossing or a modern Story of Season game, it takes me anywhere from 5-15 minutes since I'm only focusing on core elements like hairstyle, hair color, skin tone, and eye shape/color rather than a slider for every body part (which I find exhausting after a while).

Depends on how many options. For New Horizons for example, their menu is pretty small so it would only take me like 5 mins.

I would say about 30 min for many games because they have more listed, it isn't guaranteed you can change later, and I am crazy.

it usually takes me a while, regardless of the game or how many customization options there are. selecting my character’s skin tone, eye colour and hair colour are always the quickest parts for me, as i select the closest to the skin tone that i have irl, as well as my irl hair and eye colour (black hair and hazel/olive green eyes). everything else takes me a while though, as i always want to go with the hair style, eye shape, nose, mouth, etc that i like, but that also compliments everything else nicely. creating my character is basically just a loop of me choosing a customization option that i like, and then going back to all of the ones that i’ve already chosen to make sure that i still like them. that process repeats until my character is finally done, usually 20+ minutes later. 😂

i love creating my character in games and appreciate games that have a bunch of different customization options, but it can definitely be tedious and even a little stressful at times with how indecisive i am, haha.

Just throw me a wide customization options for the avatar characters in games and I'll take a longer time, except making my main one.

Actually, it depends on which game with playable custom characters I play. If the customization options in that game are extremely limited, I'll just make a quick main one out of it.

Just throw me a wide customization options for the avatar characters in games and I'll take a longer time, except making my main one.

Actually, it depends on which game with playable custom characters I play. If the customization options in that game are extremely limited, I'll just make a quick main one out of it.
Even the ones that have sliders sometimes feel like there's not much of a difference. I'll slide to the complete end on one and I'm like 'I guess I noticed a little something?'

I always make the character myself so if the character creator is simple I just pick whatever looks like me and move on, but if the character creator is complicated then I go full sims 4 1000+ mods & cc hyperdrive and spend like over and hour just making the character. I almost spent 40 minutes making my elden ring character, I would've been doing it for 2 hours if my bf didn't literally stop me 💀

I got Street Fighter 6 recently and spent around an hour making my character there... and then realized how weird he looked in cutscenes and then spent another half hour fixing everything. Oops. At least I'm happy with how he looks now!

I recently spent 2 and a half hours creating my bg3 character... I went from wanting a cleric lilac drow, to an autumnal ranger high elf to finally settling on a druid wood elf. I had to pick my background and class first before designing the character which made it easier in the end instead of starting with the aesthetics! I can’t wait to do the process all over again in my next playthrough lol - I think I want to be a bard?

As for the sims, I also take around an hour for a character I really like but that also involves giving them 3 day outfits. I have a BUNCH of mods for this, currently doing the not so berry challenge and on the 4th/ grey generation! My gal is called Dove 🕊️

Generally, I LOVE character customisation so I really do take my time making sure everything is perfect whilst coming up with plans for what they’re going to get up to and how that can be reflected in their appearance

It takes me at least a few minutes. It depends on how detailed the customization is and how many options there are. If it's just going through and picking from a handful of options for facial features, skin color, hair color, eye color, clothing, and such then it could take maybe five minutes or so. If there are sliders for things like the size and position of facial features and the color of various things, then it can take a lot longer

I like creating me and dressing up, but it usually doesn't take more than half an hour.

Back