• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Want to catch up on newer games

Drawdler

Profile comments open to water flowers 💐✨
Bells
Switch
4463-2469-1897
Island
Gondwana
White Pansy
White Pansy
Purple Violet
White Violet
Yellow Rose
White Rose
White Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Golden Watering Can
Hey all, things are still rough for me and I tried playing some of my favorite older games to no avail. I used to like gaming a lot more and I think if I could get a bit of a backlog going that I was actually enthused about then it could occupy and help a little.
I believe 2018 was about the time I quit keeping up with many new releases so I’d like game recs from after that point. I may be missing some games I actually played on the list if I forgot their release date but any recs in general are fine.

Please make sure the game is available on Switch or PC before rec’ing. My PS4 is broken and I don’t have any other modern consoles. Also, my PC is a decade old but if you recommend newer PC games I can put them on a list for when I upgrade.

General taste:
Non negotiable on single-player focused games, minimal or no MTX.
Preference for games 50 hours or less and not 100+h games. 20 hours campaign is a sweet spot for me. If I like the game I will probably replay it beyond that. Exception for good life sim games.
Preference for hard games but often not Souls level difficulty. For me DKCTF is the perfect difficulty level. I would rather have something too hard than too easy though.
Don’t prefer games where most of the length is in cutscenes or cutscenes played out in walking segments, but if the story or characters are actually good I’m willing to try or at least watch it.
Not big on most RPGs or open worlds, aside from that please don’t recommend other Pokemon games as I already decided I’m not interested in them.
Outstanding art direction will often supercede things I don’t like, wandering in that can just be nice yk.
Avoid recommending remakes and upscaled ports, I probably played the originals or am aware of the remake (example: Persona 4, I still haven’t played 5 but I’ll only get it once it’s cheap so that’s super far away)
^ a lot of the games i marked as interested in contradict these but they stand as exceptions. Once again recs in general are appreciated anyway.

Thanks for checking.

Played:
  • Lethal League Blaze (2018)
  • CTR: Nitro-Fueled (2019)
  • Hypnospace Outlaw (2019)
  • PMD DX (2020)
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons (2020)
  • Streets of Rage 4 (2020)
  • Crash Bandicoot 4 (2020)
  • Hades (2020)
  • Bowser’s Fury (2021)
  • Guilty Gear Strive (2021)
  • Ace Attorney Chronicles (2021)
  • Inscryption (2021)
  • Toree 3D (2021)
  • Pokémon Legends Arceus (2022)
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3 (2022)
  • Pizza Tower (2023)
I liked all of those. I also played GoW18 and I thought it was just okay (some great stuff but really lacking in certain areas for me), I played Spyro Reignited and strongly disliked (just hated a lot of artistic decisions).

Interested:
  • Red Dead II (2018)
  • Spider-Man (2018)
  • Celeste (2018)
  • Disco Elysium (2019)
  • Luigi’s Mansion 3 (2019) - i own this, just unplayed
  • DOOM Eternal (2020)
  • Ultrakill (2020)
  • Yakuza 7 (2020)
  • Cyberpunk 2077 (2020)
  • No More Heroes 3 (2021)
  • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (2021)
  • SMTV (2021) - i own this, just unplayed
  • Metroid Dread (2021) - i own this, just unplayed
  • Cozy Grove (2021)
  • Elden Ring (2022)
  • Kirby & The Forgotten Land (2022)
  • Neon White (2022)
  • Psychonauts 2 (2022) - love the original, just havent even gotten to buying this
  • Bayonetta 3 (2022) - will lend from bf later
  • Hi-Fi Rush (2023)
  • Street Fighter 6 (2023)
  • Baldur’s Gate 3 (2023)
  • Pikmin 4 (2023)
  • Bomb Rush Cyberfunk (2023)
  • Sea of Stars (2023)
  • Super Mario Wonder (upcoming 2023)
  • Sonic Superstars (upcoming 2023)
  • Zera: Myths Awaken (TBA / unreleased)
  • Hades II (TBA / unreleased)
  • Metroid Prime 4 (TBA / unreleased)
^ some of these are just unplayed because of my pc specs sadly
Kirby stands as an exception because I just don’t want it at full price. For me that looks like a $30 game but games rarely go on sale here and tbh I’m never gonna find it at that price unless I buy preowned so I’m just waiting until it at least has a better sale. Kinda same for Pikmin and I feel like it’ll keep getting put aside shrug

It took me until this year to realise 2020 was honestly a banger lol

Last edited:
I haven't played it, but Baldur's Gate 3 is supposed to be good and seems to meet most of your criteria? It might be a little longer than you're wanting though.

Ohh yea I forgot about BG3. I also forgot Celeste was a 2018 game so that fits too. Thanks for recs

played original TWEWY and mildly liked

I also forgot Hades II (but its obvious i would like it), Sonic Superstars, Metroid Prime 4, and Bayonetta 3 (but my boyfriend will send that to me). Metroid Dread and SMTV are also in the “own but unplayed” pile

Sea of Stars also sounds shorter than I was expecting, i’ll throw it on there. See i would really like rpgs if more of them were 20-30 hours instead of 100+ and btw i played ttyd which was pretty good and original smrpg which i thought was ok so I’m unlikely to buy them on Switch
edit: added a couple other indies i forgot

Last edited:
Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate is worth playing. Sure the graphics might not be as good as the Xbox or PS4 versions but it still plays well and it is fun using the customization mechanic for each fighter. Also Pokémon Scarlets and Violet for the main story, Tears of the Kingdom, Metroid Dread, and Kindergarten Buddy Edition are pretty enjoyable. If you like chaotic co-op games then you might like Think of the Children! The game basically gives you a list of tasks to complete but then throws in six kids that will run off on their own and do dangerous things that require you to quickly get to them before a kangaroo decides to kidnap them by shoving them into its pouch and hopping away or a motorboat hits them or they drop dead from eating poisonous berries.

omg psychonauts 2 in my opinion is worth playing, im heavily biased tho so take this with a grain of salt..i also loved disco elysium, and i used to hyperfixate on the yakuza series. i would say like most of these games on the interested list are worth playing.

i was gonna suggest the lisa rpg, and a definitive version came out too which was cool, but you arent too big on rpgs haha. if you arent too worried about spoilers i would reccommend watching a video essay on the games youre interested in to see how much you'd like it!

Disco Elysium (2019)
please play disco elysium please play disco elysium please play disco elysium please play disco elysium please play disco elysium please
Baldur’s Gate 3 (2023)
this is an extremely long game. i'm fairly certain it'll be much over 50 hours.
Bayonetta 3 (2022) - will lend from bf later
play the other two first if you haven't. 3 is fun gameplay wise and i won't say anything else about that

Back