• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Opinions on mods in games?

I love mods I only have the ability to mod fallout 4 on my Xbox because I don't play PC but I have so many mods on there and I swap them out often. I usually get decoration or item mods but I do have one that makes ghouls sound like old spice commercials which is always a joy🤣

I've always primarily played on consoles, whether on the tv or on a handheld, having only played a few games on PC over the years. Lack of a graphically powerful computer keeps me from a lot of stuff, though I hope and intend to get a powerful computer in the future.

As such, I've never modded a game. From what I've seen over the years and read here, it seems like they can be fun and add a whole new layer of enjoyment to a game, so I'd definitely be open to trying some out.

Mods are like the cherries on top of a great cake which is the vanilla game. The cake is not a lie :D

Best examples are Skyrim or Stardew Valley. Not even can you get hours of more content (new dungeons, items, quests, or even whole new tonws), you can get graphical mods to enhance the game's look or insert whole new characters. Mods also fill gaps of "I wish the game had X or Y" or little quality of life things. I can't play vanilla skyrim or startdew since mods enrich the gameplay and make it a whole new experiance.

Huge shoutout to modders and big props to their work!!

Nothing wrong with having mods. I am a bit partial to playing games as they were designed, but having more content isn't a bad thing. I just don't think mods should make a mediocre, or even bad game worth playing, because it's entirely a different game at that point. Mods should enhance the game, not the do the developers' job for them.

For me, I usually do a vanilla playthrough of a game once, unless it has some mods that are absolutely needed, primarily bug fixes.

Bethesda games, IMO, need to be played with mods because while the vanilla game is fun, mods infinitely make them better. and fix all the bugs the game makes. And fixes some dumb decisions Bethesda makes.

I love Stardew Valley, but I also cannot go back to vanilla Stardew, not after trying Stardew Valley Expanded, which is an amazing expansion to the game. It adds so much stuff to the game and it fits in the game.

I enjoy mods in some games. In Stardew Valley I've mostly only used aesthetic mods that change the colors, animal appearances, and things like that

I think mods are super duper cool! I have never tampered with any of my games or systems but I absolutely LOVE watching the great things people in communities come up with! It's always super creative and harmless like new characters or texture packs. I don't mind when people do it unless it hurts someone else!

they're cool! i don't really see myself learning how to use them though, i think i'd do a struggle (seems very complex)

I've used mods for games in the past and they can be really fun. It's just a personal choice as to whether you want use them or not.

I love that there are people who use and enjoy mods, and if I was more computer savvy I probably would be one of them, but as someone who used to exclusively play on console, I just never got into modding my few PC games

I don’t use mods myself, but I like watching videos showcasing them sometimes. Those that add unusual or unique challenges are the most interesting to me.

I love mods! I love when modders get extremely creative, I think Fallout games are a good example of that. Mods add whole new quests and sometimes even regions, but some other mods just fix small things or add some much needed QoL patches!
Also, as someone who is scared by a lot of things, I love mods that replace disgusting mobs by something more tolerable lol

I love mods. I used to have a modded Wii console that allowed me to insert character models and textures into Smash Bros Brawl - I spent so many extra hours playing it because of those mods. What was even better was that, back then at least, you could play online with those hacks (never tried cheating ones, I have no interest in that) and nobody would see because it was tied to your system, so no harm done.

I was going to mod New Leaf once upon a time, but I never got around to it. Although I think I remember hearing that modded characters could move to another person's town? Not sure if it's true or not.

I'm generally okay with them, but I haven't used them much myself. Lol

Mods are a lifesaver, especially ones that offer convenience or remedy annoyances that should have been fixed by the creators. Like I wouldn't play Dragon Age: Origins again without the 'skip the Fade' mod lmao. I did my time the first go around, I don't see a point in pushing myself through something that's annoying on a second+ playthrough.

But of course I really love ones that are content-based because they can add so many more hours of gameplay.

I don't personally use mods in my games, but I don't see a problem with it. As long as you're not cheating or exploiting the game, I'm fine with it. I have a friend who has a bunch of mods for Sims 4 that are pretty cool. They sometimes stream it on Discord, and the mods definitely make the game more interesting.

I'm a no-mod gamer because I'm afraid using mods will inadvertently affect my gaming device. I don't think mods are necessarily bad or good and it really just depends on what the mod does for you.

have some specific very enjoyable uses that i really support for accessibility and fun, but i also think you have to be careful. sometimes you can end up circumventing things that provide motivational challenges to playing the game.

I like mods. Its great to have the creativity of other players upping the game experience. I know you have to be careful where you get your mods, but the ones on Steam that are right there and developers are aware of I feel pretty confident with. I don't want mods for cheating or rushing through a game, but a mod that say for instance say another island or season to a game or additional cars or whatever I don't see as cheating. I know there are some pretty strong opinions out there either way. I vote for mods....for those who want them.

Cool as hell. It's a huge shame consoles cant get into it as much due to the limitations of the systems plus developers outright preventing them

Back