• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

How often do you change your Villagers?

not often. 7/10 of my villagers are permanent residents, so that only leaves 3 spots open to changeability. i never let the villagers who occupy those spots leave until i get their photo, and it’s usually my permanent villagers who ask to move out, so it’s not uncommon for me to have the same set of villagers for 3+ months (unless i get impatient and amiibo someone out, lol).

i don’t really have any ideas for permanent residents beyond the 7 that i already have. there are several villagers that i love and wouldn’t mind having, but i like keeping the 3 spots open for cycling villagers in and out and experiencing as many new ones as i can + obtaining their posters/photos, so i’m not in a rush to fill them with anyone permanent. if i eventually end up finding 3 villagers that i like enough and grow so attached to that i don’t want them to move out, cool. if not, then i’ll just keep doing what i’ve been doing, and my villager lineup will change slightly every few months or so. c’:

Whenever I get their photo I let them leave and I try ones I haven't seen yet Its getting harder because I've seen nearly all the villagers and there are some that I didn't haven't see yet.

Not very often, but it happens.

I decided on 10 villagers who I wanted as permanent residents at the start and didn't really plan to ever change them. I eventually found a few redundant with some of my player characters, since my island is based around bringing different cultures throughout history together in one place and thus made the maximum 8 player characters you can have in New Horizons so that I could really get the most out of the concept. Thus, I ended up replacing the redundant villagers with different ones who I liked that either didn't make the initial cut (Plucky) or were introduced to New Horizons later on via update (Cephalobot, Rio and Tiansheng). I've been mulling over whether I might replace Annalisa with Savannah as my Normal villager for a few months, but haven't come to a decision and don't know whether I actually ever will or if I might just have Savannah in a future game.

Whenever I get their photo I let them leave and I try ones I haven't seen yet Its getting harder because I've seen nearly all the villagers and there are some that I didn't haven't see yet.

I do this as well, unless it’s a villager who I have an amiibo card for and they ask. I’ll let them go and then invite them invite them back down the road.

I also have a “priority” list of villagers to ask to move-in if I see them while island hunting or if they come to camp, ie, ones I don’t have an amiibo card for. But that list has dwindled, so it takes longer to find them.

I do this as well, unless it’s a villager who I have an amiibo card for and they ask. I’ll let them go and then invite them invite them back down the road.

I also have a “priority” list of villagers to ask to move-in if I see them while island hunting or if they come to camp, ie, ones I don’t have an amiibo card for. But that list has dwindled, so it takes longer to find them.
Same here I have a lot of amiibo cards with villagers who I've seen already and had before. I also have a Nook Shopping Catalog of Villager Posters (Which you can get from Harvs Island) that lets me know who I had before so that way I will know who to skip when I see them on the Nook Mile island. If I don't have them then I invite them.

Last edited:
whenever i'm in the mood to time travel/whenever they ask w/o me tt'ing. currently hunting for 6 more permanent villagers! current homies who i intend to keep on my island are: rowan, shino, punchy, katt and rudy.

so honestly whenever one of the remaining 6 want to leave i'll yeet them out

I always decide which villagers I want beforehand with the intention of keeping them forever, but I usually end up changing my mind on a couple of them eventually. Sometimes you realise another villager fits the town better, but you don't know until you see them in-game.

Every couple of months I change some of my villagers. Both islands have some villagers that are never leaving. I recently changed some villagers on crescent so those won’t change at least until I get their photos. Sometimes I feel a need to change villagers and that gets me playing more actively again.

Pretty rarely, only when I feel like a villager has been here a little too long.

I rarely swap out villagers these days. It would happen more often in the early months of me playing the game. You’d think I’d do this more often with me already having all the amiibo cards in series 1-4 and a lot of series 5 and WA, but I love who I got right now.

It was mostly the few random villagers I had get swapped out, though Patty is the last remaining of my first five random villagers, and have kept her ever since as she grew on me super hard. After moving the newest villager in, Caroline, I’ve decided that the lineup I got now (Patty, Bob, Mallary, Cherry, Tom, Dotty, Lopez, Poncho, Kyle and Caroline) is who I’ll be rolling with until the next game comes out. Only a select few of those villagers (Mallary, Dotty and Lopez) I definitely want to come back. The others I’ll either wait out or replace entirely.

I’m not counting my backup island on my other Switch, Parkwood, as I don’t take that island seriously. As much as I want to have new villagers come by, I really don’t want my existing ones to go bye-bye.

My line up hasnt changed in years since Toby, who replaced one of my villagers this year. But he's not going anywhere anytime soon

I ended up changing long term villager Genji for Sasha when he was released. Because I really wanted Sasha. But I can't see my line up changing again unless they release a new villager I fall in love with. But I doubt it. Might even carry on into other games too idk. I like the idea of having my boys with me, or at least some of them in all the games.

My core line-up hasn't really changed! I feel like I am set for a while now villager-wise. I did get a few Amiibo cards in case I do want a change, tho.

Almost never now. Half of my villagers were constantly changing before until I got amiibos for my faves. I kept changing who I wanted for my normal and cranky cause I loved too many of them.

When they released the second batch of new villagers I decided on my final 10

Only once in a blue moon.

Very recently I got back into NL where I changed 3 dream villagers from Pekoe, Boris and Chrissy to Viche, Wolfgang and Cheri. They're solid picks I'm keeping around.

In NH, I am deciding to replace Zoe (Which I already did) and Mira to Merengue and Quinn. I needed a little bakery and Quinn just fit the city vibes more than Mira.

I have, I don't have any of my original villagers except for Claude left. I originally let Poppy moved out, but then I realized how much I missed having a villager who read books outside and moved her back in.
Nibbles was the last to move in (or was it Poppy?) earlier this year after not having a peppy for about 3 years. This might sound a little weird, but it felt kinda empty without one. lol

I'm not planning on moving anyone else out (I hope...I'm starting to miss Ione.. 😢.)

Last edited:
I initially was going through the method of obtaining photos and letting them leave but then my list of permanent villagers began to grow. I was decorating my basement with past villager photos but I've realized it's too many; the clutter is getting to me! I really liked trying new villagers, creating funny lore for them but I wanted my last forever villager. Now that I have him, everyone is dead set.

I haven't changed my islanders in such a long time there is only one that I would let leave my island but I wouldn't know who to replace with.

Tbh I used to change them quite a bit cause I loved hunting, but now I am trying to get to know my villagers for a while before letting them go.

Back