• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

How often do you change your Villagers?

Never. I keep the same villagers, since I haven’t the heart to let them move away lol. New Horizons is my first Animal Crossing game, so I’m not sure how longtime fans play it, but I like the tight-knit community I’ve built.

Back when I started playing I was really focused on finding villagers I was happy with. I have a few that I'd probably move out if I had an opportunity to, but I'm not in any rush. I don't have all my dream villagers yet and I kind of like taking my time with it. c:

I pretty much let them leave once I have their pictures. The only exceptions are Willow and Raymond.

For all AC games I change them pretty frequently because I like to collect their picture and see what each villager has to offer. In the older games this was a more fulfilling experience since depending on their personalities and randomness of it you could either not like, not mind or love them. It all depended on their interactions with my character. With New horizons was more about collecting the pictures and hope the game would give them a bit of personality. There were rare instances like Marlo that made me love the villager (the bugs and randomness helped in his case) but mostly all new residents in NH were very bland and similar. So I got bored quickly and my current residents are my permanent residents now. 90% of the residents in my town in NH I have grown to love in previous games. So basically when I am more active in the game I tend to change up the villagers and when I am more inactive I leave it as is.

It varies based on how often they consider moving. I have my core favorites that I want to keep, and the remaining few change overtime.

Whenever someone asks to move out I let them, but it feels like I don't get the pings very often

For me it's every now and then. I don't avoid thought bubbles from my 6 permanent -ish villagers so it's just any time a villager that I don't care for asks I let them go. Recently got Boyd out and was glad to have him gone😅

Now that I've got my ten final villagers, I don't change them anymore.

Before that, unless they were a permanent villager, I would encourage them to move when they asked about it after I received their photo. I was on a very casual journey to obtain my ten villagers, so if I didn't come across a dreamie after a certain amount of time on an island, I picked the first villager that resonated with me. Sometimes, I just let the game move a character in just to see if there were any villagers in my 'waiting pool' from other folks islands. Changes were quite frequent for me back then.

I'm working on getting every villager photo so I kinda keep them until I get their photo then replace them with an amiibo card lol

When I played more often I'd switch in a new villager once a month or so. I haven't changed my villagers in a long time though, and there are only a few that I'd be willing to swap out

I used to swap out my villagers all the time, but now I hardly ever do. I have the villagers that I want on my island, and I don't have any reason or motivation to change them.

If a villager asks to move out, and they aren't one I plan to keep forever... it's goodbye, so long, and thanks for all the fish!

Although my permament villagers are great, I do like to have new villagers cycle through occasionally. And I'm always on the lookout for the next permanent villager.

Because of the way I like to play the game I don't change up my villagers that often. There's a few personal criteria that need to be in place for me to be ready to swap someone out. Firstly I need to have their photo because if I don't then we obviously haven't spent enough time together! Second is less of a strict guideline but I highly prefer if whoever goes is from one of the 2 duplicate personality types that I currently have.
Right now I am trying to get Punchy's photo and then swap him out for another lazy villager.

I force out when I usually get a lot of photos and not enough villagers are thought bubbling to move. I also force out if I get too many villagers of the same personality type for too long. I'm actually thinking of TT'ing to the past tomorrow to try and trigger it (I'll get more wishes again because its a meteor shower tonight) I'm trying to force out either Pierce or Tybalt right now. I have 3 jocks and thats just way too many.

I change my villagers every now and then. When I first started playing NH, I let almost all my villagers move out since I wasn't particularly fond of any of them. Currently, I have three villagers on my island that I'm willing to swap out if they decide to move, and I look forward to getting some more of my dream villagers once I obtain some amiibo cards. The rest of them are permanent residents.

I didn't change my villagers a lot on my first island. I just chose who I liked and then stuck with them. If someone wanted to leave, and I felt good about it, I would agree to it, but most of my villagers on that island I would now consider permanent residents.

On my main island, I have: Agnes, Louie, Norma, Rhonda, Patty, Goldie, Gayle, Teddy, Megan, and Pinky. Agnes and Louie were my starting villagers. Rhonda was one of my first five. Patty was the first and only villager I've adopted from someone else (she had been gifted clothes too!), and that was in my very early days of playing. Megan was the first villager I found through mystery island hunting.

I would consider Agnes, Louie, Patty, and Gayle to be permanent, though I'm quite attached to all the bears as well. If any of the other residents asked to leave, I would definitely just base it on how I felt at the time. The only time I've come to miss a villager after doing that is with Merengue! I do still miss her sometimes!

On my second island, I allowed everyone to move in randomly. It's definitely been a strange mix of villagers, and I probably wouldn't use this method of finding villagers again. On a positive note though, I did get to meet a lot of new villagers I wouldn't have otherwise chosen to live with. For example, I've come to love Hippeaux on my island! Overall, I think eventually most of these villagers will be replaced! Fang definitely feels permanent on my second island, and I think Stu is quite cute too.

I'm not interested in cycling the villagers out on either of my islands, and I'm not too worried about collecting photos, so I just let them come and go as it feels right. 😊

This is a tough one, I get attached and rarely let anyone move. I've been trying to get everyone's picture on the odd days that I'm still playing and perhaps once that's done I'll try and switch out a few villagers. I'd love to go island hopping again though to find a new villager that I've never had in any of my games, but somehow it's always one of my absolute favourite residents asking to move out so it's been a long while since I've let anyone move...

When I was playing Animal Crossing: New Horizons daily, I changed them on average like once every two months. Though I was usually changing them like once a month to start before things slowed down. Since I only switched my villagers out for any villagers that appeared in my campsite, it meant there were times I had to wait awhile to have a villager I was interested in having on my island appear in my campsite, lol.

Back