• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What does flying feel like?

SkyKnight03

elegy
Bells
April Birthstone (Diamond)
Sky Clouds Scenery
Spring Sakura
White Hyacinth
Pink Heart Balloon
Purple Balloon
Sweet Balloon
Sweet Balloon
Yellow Balloon
Sweet Balloon
I'm flying to the far east U.S and London this year. I've never been on a plane nor have I ever stepped foot in an airport. (I've only left the country on smaller class cruise ship).

What's it like to fly? More specifically, what does turbulence feel like? I have searched this online but now I seek more personal answers and experiences.

I don't think I'm nervous. More like...I can't envision actually being up that high.

guess I better live up to my username and brave it out.

LANDANNNNN YES MY BROTHER I hope you go to the nice parts LOL I been to Nigeria where my mama was born and Australia where she lived from the age of 20 I think and it just feels like being on a train or a big room that vibrates nothing to worry about

Once you're up in the air it doesn't really feel like you're moving or like anything really, only during takeoff, landing, and when there's some turbulence. During takeoff you'll hear the engine start to roar, the plane will start to accelerate, and then you'll feel a mild sense of weightlessness right when the plane leaves the ground. Before you land, the pilot will make an announcement that you'll be landing soon and you usually won't feel much until the wheels hit the ground since it's a very gradual descend to the ground. I find the wheels hitting the ground to be the most dramatic feeling during a flight, you might bounce around a bit and you get a sense of how fast you're going before the pilot starts to break. While the plane is in the air you can't feel how fast you're going. Turbulence mostly just feels kinda bumpy, like if you were driving a car on a gravelly road. It's never been too uncomfortable for me on any of my flights it just sucks if you're trying to read or take a nap.

I hope you have fun trips!!

So, when you grow those there wings you're able to get closer to the sun like Pit from Kid Icarus: Uprising. But because of this there's going to be a bunch of enemies you have to fight with a bow and arrow for some reason...

Anyway, for the most part it's what the above poster said. You can't feel anything while flying. I do not like taking off and turbulence though...

I enjoy planes. As others have mentioned, you’ll really only feel anything when taking off /landing which is just acceleration, kinda like the start of a semi-fast roller coaster or if you slam the gas for a bit while driving. Other than that, while in the air, it’s mainly just light vibrations and the engine drone. It’s a lot easier to walk/move around (not that you really will be) than trains in my opinion. One thing I’ve always enjoyed/forgotten, is it’s usually sunny above the clouds (as long as it’s not night 😆), so it can be neat going from cloudy and rainy on the ground to clear skies.
IMG_6023.jpeg

From a flight I was on in the past year. It will probably look like clouds or ocean for most of your flight.

I absolutely love takeoff, it is exciting and exhilarating!

When up in the air you don’t feel anything but it is amazing to be above the clouds.

Enjoy your flight and your visit to the UK!

@Roxxy

I should have mentioned that it's my first time visiting the UK. (happy that I get the opportunity to see these different countries at a young age).

I appreciate all the posts. It's been very helpful.

I’m so jealous hehe I love flying! Flying is really calm and you can mostly just hear the cabin pressure or whatever it’s called the whole time it’s kinda adjacent to white noise. The turbulence I’ve been through was actually kinda fun, like a ride for small kids or something. Not intense at all. I always get a bit nervous before flying but never during the flight lol.

the only time you feel it, IMO, is when you ascend and when you descend, and turbulence. the ascent/descent you can only really feel if it's fast, btw. the first time i flew the guy got into the air within like 2 minutes and i felt nauseous but every time after it's a pleasant light feeling. like, you know that feeling in your gut that you get when you drive down a steep hill? it's kinda like that. it's fun.

turbulence just kinda feels shaky like youre on a bumpy road. it's not too bad. i've flown through a thunderstorm before. was actually kinda cool!
enjoy it if you can, i know it can be nerve wracking but it's so so fun. and beautiful. if your ears pop or clog on the plane, just mimic chewing gum (or actually chew something.) yawning helps too, will pop your ears so it's not so muffled.

i love flying tbh, i get to fly in may and im VERY excited :3

the only time you feel it, IMO, is when you ascend and when you descend, and turbulence. the ascent/descent you can only really feel if it's fast, btw. the first time i flew the guy got into the air within like 2 minutes and i felt nauseous but every time after it's a pleasant light feeling. like, you know that feeling in your gut that you get when you drive down a steep hill? it's kinda like that. it's fun.

turbulence just kinda feels shaky like youre on a bumpy road. it's not too bad. i've flown through a thunderstorm before. was actually kinda cool!
enjoy it if you can, i know it can be nerve wracking but it's so so fun. and beautiful. if your ears pop or clog on the plane, just mimic chewing gum (or actually chew something.) yawning helps too, will pop your ears so it's not so muffled.

i love flying tbh, i get to fly in may and im VERY excited :3

I got on one of those pirate ships that swings back and fourth.

So I think I understand what you mean by the feeling in the gut. When it turned sideways, it was kind of like a dropped feeling in the stomach. I never even experienced it on any rollercoaster. It was unique.

I’m flying overseas tomorrow for the fourth time and it is completely different than flying domestically. The flight is so smooth after a certain point that you sort of forget that you are in the air. I am going to Taipei and plan on visiting the Pokémon Center located there and getting a Birthday Pokémon since my birthday is this month. I’m hoping that I get the Pawmi because I love how adorable it is in the over world in the games. I also plan on watching one or two movies and playing my Switch for a bit.

Back