• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

There are 2 random villagers that have chosen to take the Getaway Package with you

Personally I'm praying there won't be any micro transactions. The reason I didn't play pocket camp was bc of the micro transactions, lol

I totally agree, having to pay for anything other than the base game just ruins it for me.

I really hope that if there are no new personalities that they at least make them a little more... diverse I guess? In new leaf everyone was super cheery and kind of the same aside from their interests. I'd love it if some villagers could assume certain social roles on the island or at least have a broader range of emotion/dialogue

Are we seriously worried about microtransactions? I can say with 100% certainty that this game won't have ANY!

DLC packs, maybe, but no microtransactions!

Last edited:

Right??? Not only is this a main game but uh... I dont think I ever played a console game that had micro transactions besides battle royale games that are free to play...

DLC definitley/I hope they do but why would Nintendo add micro transactions to a game that's ~$60...........

Will I be able to restart my whole game to get a different two villagers, or is that not possible on the switch? There are some animal types I don't really like (the tall ones!) and I don't want to build a special relationship with them :p

Imagine getting your two least favorite villagers at the start, but then following through on keeping them in your town ...end up falling in love and keeping them forever.
=]

I'm looking forward to this too! I always end up with some of my starter villagers that I might not have picked but can't bare to have leave

I'm looking forward to this too! I always end up with some of my starter villagers that I might not have picked but can't bare to have leave

In New Leaf, I remember very vividly having Jambette as one of the 5 starting villagers and going : Ewww, get me out of here !

I finally got to appreciate her after a few weeks and asked her to stay when she finally asked to move. What can I say? Sometimes they just grow on you.

Last edited:
As far as resetting for the first two villagers goes, I think I would until I got at least either two I was neutral about, or one I love.
(My odds are pretty good considering I have over 50 favorites already, and am fine with a vast majority of the rest)

Especially because the ones joining us initially will be special in the long-term, it matters to me that I can see myself keeping them forever. Even if I really came to appreciate an "uglier" villager, it would still be tough to keep them in favor of one of my favorites, and I'd hate to have to make that decision in the end.

Knowing that we can only have one Island per system just reinforces that thought - however many villagers can live on an Island will be the only ones I'll get in the game after all.

EDIT: Additions

In this game I?m just taking what the game gives me unless it?s Katt who has plagued every town, Bella the rat, the creepy clown or beardo I think his name is

This made me chuckle - I'm somehow picturing Beardo in disguise, talking about himself while smugly twirling his mustache: "Ah yes...Beardo, I think his name is"

Will I be able to restart my whole game to get a different two villagers, or is that not possible on the switch?

Who knows, maybe ensuring that we're stuck with whoever the game gives us is the next step in their efforts to preserve the natural spirit of the game...maybe we can never, ever re-start our game at all O.O
(mostly kidding, I don't think there's any need to worry about that)

Last edited:
I don't want to restart on my first 'airplane ride' I'm assuming to get the first two villagers I want.. like if I got jambette I would die I don't want a villager I absolutely hate

Ok, so we know at the very beginning we will be with 2 other villagers. This is the least in the series, as before the least was Wild World with 3.

However, I have a another theory, a bit more logical if we're going based on what the series has done in the past: one starter will be male, and one will be female.

In New Leaf, you always had a combination of 3 male/2 female or 3 female/2 male to start. Part of this was due to personality constraints (you couldn't start with 2 of the same personality nor a Smug/Uchi villager). In New Horizons, we saw Fuchsia, who's an Uchi, as a starter.

In Wild World, however, we were still on the classic 6 personalities with 3 starters. However, the starter combinations were always 2 male/1 female or 2 female/1 male, also with different personalities.

So, with conclusions with what has previously been done, I conclude that we will have 2 starters, 1 male and 1 female, with any of the four possible personalities.

So what does this mean as far as cycling? It means you would have a 1/~250 chance, not a 2/~500 chance, (assuming we end up with around 500 villagers) with getting a specific villager.

This is exponentially worse than New Leaf, in which you had a 5/6 chance of getting the personality you wanted, and then a 1/~60 chance to get the villager you wanted based on the personality. In short, you had ~1/90 chance to get a certain villager. With personality constraints, your chances were much greater to get a specific villager.

In short, cycling for a specific villager won't be worth it. Some people said they may cycle to get 2 villagers they are somewhat favorable or neutral towards, which shouldn't be too hard. But trying to start with your favorite would take hours upon hours to try and achieve.

Ok, so we know at the very beginning we will be with 2 other villagers. This is the least in the series, as before the least was Wild World with 3.

However, I have a another theory, a bit more logical if we're going based on what the series has done in the past: one starter will be male, and one will be female.

In New Leaf, you always had a combination of 3 male/2 female or 3 female/2 male to start. Part of this was due to personality constraints (you couldn't start with 2 of the same personality nor a Smug/Uchi villager). In New Horizons, we saw Fuchsia, who's an Uchi, as a starter.

In Wild World, however, we were still on the classic 6 personalities with 3 starters. However, the starter combinations were always 2 male/1 female or 2 female/1 male, also with different personalities.

So, with conclusions with what has previously been done, I conclude that we will have 2 starters, 1 male and 1 female, with any of the four possible personalities.

So what does this mean as far as cycling? It means you would have a 1/~250 chance, not a 2/~500 chance, (assuming we end up with around 500 villagers) with getting a specific villager.

This is exponentially worse than New Leaf, in which you had a 5/6 chance of getting the personality you wanted, and then a 1/~60 chance to get the villager you wanted based on the personality. In short, you had ~1/90 chance to get a certain villager. With personality constraints, your chances were much greater to get a specific villager.

In short, cycling for a specific villager won't be worth it. Some people said they may cycle to get 2 villagers they are somewhat favorable or neutral towards, which shouldn't be too hard. But trying to start with your favorite would take hours upon hours to try and achieve.

I agree with this. It's probably not worth resetting in the beginning. When I start my new game this time, I'll just live with who I get. When I was younger I used to just hop right into the game without worrying so much about who was my starting villagers. So that's what I'm going to do again.

That's quality posting right there ! Thanks for the maths, @TheRealWC. My estimates were 1 chance on 250, when I posted on that topic last week, but hadn't taken into account the odds if Nintendo was to discriminate on the gender of the two characters... It's even less worthwhile to restart now in Animal Crossing: New Horizons, just like you showed us here.

So glad we won't have to plot reset villager houses anymore! What a relief! Also the option of placing furniture outside is a welcome improvement! This will allow for even more creativity! But I'm worried about the only two starter islanders. I know they want us to grow attatched to new villagers but what if we really don't like them compared to older villagers we've had. I do think this is a great idea especially since they pay off the loans with you. It would force you to grow closer to them but I think you should have an option of getting your old favorites on the island with you. As long as there is way later in the game I think it will be fine. I am just worried about how many villagers we can have and who will be on the island with you.

I understand. I’d be appalled if my two starting villagers were Tabby and Coco. But, then these two can chose to move out later on.
So glad we won't have to plot reset villager houses anymore! What a relief! Also the option of placing furniture outside is a welcome improvement! This will allow for even more creativity! But I'm worried about the only two starter islanders. I know they want us to grow attatched to new villagers but what if we really don't like them compared to older villagers we've had. I do think this is a great idea especially since they pay off the loans with you. It would force you to grow closer to them but I think you should have an option of getting your old favorites on the island with you. As long as there is way later in the game I think it will be fine. I am just worried about how many villagers we can have and who will be on the island with you.

Are we seriously worried about microtransactions? I can say with 100% certainty that this game won't have ANY!

i wouldn't put it past nintendo to do this, ever. especially considering how much money they made off of micro transactions in pocket camp. it isn't that unrealistic.

i wouldn't put it past nintendo to do this, ever. especially considering how much money they made off of micro transactions in pocket camp. it isn't that unrealistic.

They did not really make much money with their mobile game yet. It's not even 5% of their yearly revenue.

I'm eager to see how this all pans out. I wonder how long you get to stay on a deserted island with only two other animals and how much they help in getting the villager kickstarted.

Not to be rude but I think you maybe did the math wrong. 1/250 and 2/500 is the same thing.

Back