• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What Motivates You to Play New Horizons After a Long Break?

milkyi

the people’s princess
Bells
Switch
2594-5984-2884
Blue Junimo Easter Egg
Aurora Easter Egg
Rotating Fool's Egg
Green Bunny Balloon
Pink Toy Hammer
Pink Bunny Balloon
My Melody Easter Egg
ぶ
Pink Star Fragment
Sheep Plush
I've been wanting get back into daily playing of an AC game for a while. Unfortunately, due to my New Leaf town being stuck in 2012 (a stupid decision I made years ago) I don't want to risk getting it caught up to date and losing one of my villagers. I figured I'd give New Horizons a go again, but I find myself at a loss of what to actually do in the game, as I've completed most of the major milestones (almost done with museum, 5 star island, have all my dreamies and I'm not into extreme decorating too much.) So my question is, what helps you get back into the swing of things with New Horizons?

I usually go on when I want some chill/me time. It’s something you can play whilst watching tv so that’s how I do it, or I’ll pick a part of my island and be like ‘this what we be working with today😅

I'm relatively new to the game so I haven't taken a long break yet, but one reason I'm playing this game every day is the desire to complete my catalogue. That means that I have to check my shops every day, get my fortune read by Katrina in hopes of getting an item for purifying bad luck, buy an art piece from Redd so that he'll have a new art piece tomorrow, etc. It can be exhausting so I've promised myself that I can take a break after June so that I complete one full year of playing.

For me its usually when I have an idea to redesign a part of my island or to add something new.

I'm relatively new to the game so I haven't taken a long break yet, but one reason I'm playing this game every day is the desire to complete my catalogue. That means that I have to check my shops every day, get my fortune read by Katrina in hopes of getting an item for purifying bad luck, buy an art piece from Redd so that he'll have a new art piece tomorrow, etc. It can be exhausting so I've promised myself that I can take a break after June so that I complete one full year of playing.
ooh yeah the catalogue is a good one!! i might try to focus on that too!! there's so many cute items i want in new horizons

Its been a while, but I only opened NH for tbt events or when I really want to. I then proceed to not touch NH again until I really feel like playing it again.

Perhaps it sounds kind of sad or pathetic, but every few months i give it a try again because I want to recapture that feeling I had for so long! I have almost 2k hours in the game and most of those hours were spent quite happily, even doing the most mundane tasks. It felt joyful and fulfilling. I most likely am "over" New Horizons at this point, but I don't necessarily want to be, so I still keep "chasing" that feeling! praying for the next version

I started playing again yesterday. To be honest, during these four years, I played a little, I restarted my island several times, but I never really got hooked. The game is good, especially since the big update, but I find it hard not to get bored after just a few days. I hope to go a little further this time because I never finished the game. Having a theme in mind and to stick to will perhaps give me the motivation to continue!

Usually it's a holiday event on tbt. So if I haven't played for a while, and there's a Halloween decorate your island event or something, I'll do that, then just keep play again for a while.

An update would get me back to regular playing, but I don't think any of those are in the works.

I will also play to change the island design. Sometimes I go on for the holiday thing, then I'll realize meh- the island isn't perfect. Then I'll want to change the whole island, so I'll play for a while doing that and get back into it a bit.

To be real with you, I came back to New Horizons because I thought it would be cute to sort my characters into the three (technically four houses) in Fire Emblem Three Houses. I made sweaters for each of the houses and basically waited until they wore one of the designs and sorted them into that house 😂💛

Haha, it's usually TBT events that make me return to NH. Sometimes though, I'll just miss my villagers and feel like checking in on them.

Photopia sessions. Most of the stuff I've made here recently were from quick visits in-game only to take pictures. I would like to do more in Garry's Mod and stuff seeing as villager assets were released there, but I've got no experience with it whatsoever.

Sometimes, seeing citycore inspirations on Pinterest can perk up my interest, but it doesn't last very long, unfortunately.

Honestly, it's usually events here on The Bell Tree Forums that gets me back into the game if I haven't played in a while.

My island was pretty set for a few years, but I've been thinking about doing some major terraforming to make a few things look better. Not exactly enticing incentive to return to the game, since it will be a lot of work, but it's a long term goal and something to look forward to.

I also got a second Switch and another copy of the game last year so I could make a second island because I came up with a cool concept for the island and have villagers I want to experience. I've yet to create that island, though, because I need to come up with a name for the island. That gives me some motivation too, albeit of a different sort.

I've been wanting get back into daily playing of an AC game for a while. Unfortunately, due to my New Leaf town being stuck in 2012 (a stupid decision I made years ago) I don't want to risk getting it caught up to date and losing one of my villagers.
If you keep playing New Leaf and one of your villagers pings and requests to move, decline their request and then save and quit. You can then safely time travel ahead as far as you want and no one will move out. I've done this before to repair grass erosion in my towns.

Sometimes when you tell villagers not to move out, they'll still stick with their plan to move out anyway, so you should save before doing this just to be safe. Reload without saving and then try again. Once they agree to stay, you can safely save, quit, and time travel to whatever date you want and everyone will remain in your town. You'll just have to deal with weeds if you don't have the Beautiful Town Ordinance, kill the cockroaches in your home(s) and go see Harriet to give you a haircut to remedy your bedhead.

I started playing again yesterday. To be honest, during these four years, I played a little, I restarted my island several times, but I never really got hooked. The game is good, especially since the big update, but I find it hard not to get bored after just a few days. I hope to go a little further this time because I never finished the game. Having a theme in mind and to stick to will perhaps give me the motivation to continue!
I find myself in the same situation. Usually, I'll pick the game back up again, but find it hard to "keep going" after a few days just like you. I didn't have this problem too much in New Leaf so it makes me very sad!
Post automatically merged:

Honestly, it's usually events here on The Bell Tree Forums that gets me back into the game if I haven't played in a while.

My island was pretty set for a few years, but I've been thinking about doing some major terraforming to make a few things look better. Not exactly enticing incentive to return to the game, since it will be a lot of work, but it's a long term goal and something to look forward to.

I also got a second Switch and another copy of the game last year so I could make a second island because I came up with a cool concept for the island and have villagers I want to experience. I've yet to create that island, though, because I need to come up with a name for the island. That gives me some motivation too, albeit of a different sort.

If you keep playing New Leaf and one of your villagers pings and requests to move, decline their request and then save and quit. You can then safely time travel ahead as far as you want and no one will move out. I've done this before to repair grass erosion in my towns.

Sometimes when you tell villagers not to move out, they'll still stick with their plan to move out anyway, so you should save before doing this just to be safe. Reload without saving and then try again. Once they agree to stay, you can safely save, quit, and time travel to whatever date you want and everyone will remain in your town. You'll just have to deal with weeds if you don't have the Beautiful Town Ordinance, kill the cockroaches in your home(s) and go see Harriet to give you a haircut to remedy your bedhead.
I wish the switch would let you create a new island per profile. One of the things that kept me interested in New Leaf so long was able to freely make towns on the same console (albeit just having to buy new copies of the game- which wasn't a big deal when they were 20 bucks each. I had 3 towns in total at one point!) I'll definitely look into your suggestion for my New Leaf town! I'm also worried about someone moving in and messing up my layout, as I only have 8 villagers left. I also filled up my spare player spots, so no plot resetting for me :')

Last edited:
At the moment nothing motivates me to play, i have been on a long ac break. What usually makes me play is aesthetic posts of islands but not even that is working right now

I just came back fresh after over a year of not playing, and right now, after a long move across states, RELAXATION is my motivation x)

For me it’s events/furniture items I missed, at least that’s what's making me want to play again right now. I never played during May Day, and I also want to get the rest of the Bunny Day items. Another thing is that I want to decorate & expand my second player’s house because I never did :,o

• ⏪
Reactions: Doo
I got back into it after my long break after I realized "wow I want to actually finish this game".

Back