• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

There are 2 random villagers that have chosen to take the Getaway Package with you

I really love the idea of just having 2 villagers to start, but the wording in the original post concerns me a bit...will it be ONLY those two villagers who have to upgrade their house, or all of them?

I'd honestly prefer all of them, I think. Because the tents let you easily move the villagers to a new location, I feel like all villagers on the island should start out with them...plus it'd feel weird if everyone but those 2 had perfectly formed houses right out the gate.

I?m excited to see which two villagers I start with - I want to try to stick with the two I get at first instead of restarting to get ones I like better

I really love the idea of just having 2 villagers to start, but the wording in the original post concerns me a bit...will it be ONLY those two villagers who have to upgrade their house, or all of them?

I'd honestly prefer all of them, I think. Because the tents let you easily move the villagers to a new location, I feel like all villagers on the island should start out with them...plus it'd feel weird if everyone but those 2 had perfectly formed houses right out the gate.

That's currently unknown. It would be logical for all new residents to start out in tents, but we do not know for a fact they all do.

Exciting! Though the lack of new personality types is disappointing. I'll probably just go with the first two I get instead of restarting until I get ones that I like since the number is so low. I really can't wait for New Horizons.

Haha!!! Finally, I will not be alone in my small town, drowning in debt! Now, everyone in town can all feel the despair of being trapped in debt forever!

Aw this sounds so fun! I sure do hope that Filbert ends up being on the island when I start out.

Curious on how they will incorporate all the amiibo cards and figurines though now that it seems like you won't be able to invite a specific villager that way.

I know we really don't have sufficient information to make this claim, since we've only seen 2(?) examples of starting islands, but I feel like you'll start with one male character and one female character. That would ensure that they are at least different personalities. Just... A hunch on my part.

I think the fact that you're accompanied by two random villagers at the start of your adventure is a neat way to make you feel less alone on such a desolate island. It'll also make the gradual growth of your island feel very accomplishing besides two villagers you've come to grow close to, over time. :blush:

"The two animals that invested with you in the Getaway Package are also indebted to Tom Nook and have to repay their own loan"

I wonder if that means villagers can have houses with multiple rooms now, including basement/attic just like a player. Or, perhaps, they just upgrade from a tent to a normal sized house. I figure it would be a lot of work for the development team to design multiple rooms for every villager's house.

It's very clear that Bill and Tammy were the two animal islanders that bought into the Nook Inc. getaway Package in the latest Nintendo Direct. After the plane landing, the player and the two animal islanders are seen running towards the service center for more instructions to be handed out by Tom Nook and his two nephews. So I guess this is what it will look like on March 20, 2020.

FfKZKkb.png

Last edited:
I hope I just get good villagers. I usually keep my starters for a decent amount of time, so I?d rather have at least one that I like so I can keep them around.

Somebody mentioned this in another thread and I?d be curious to hear others opinion:

How would you feel if you could scan in amiibo cards for your first two villagers? Would you consider it?

(Now I know it?s very unlikely they?d allow this?it?s more of a hypothetical question to see where people fall in terms of having control vs. giving up control of the game)

Personally, I?d both love and hate it. While I want to play and have villagers move in naturally, I can?t deny that I?d be very, very tempted to move in two favorites to start with.

I am conflicted. There is a sense of achievement when you finally have one of your favorite villagers move into your town. So that would cheapen the experience by cutting short the longing for your two favorite characters. It would also render moot the desire of the game’s creator to force you to meet and eventually create a bond with two villagers that you wouldn’t necessarily spend time with otherwise. I would love to experience the founding of a new village on a deserted island with my two favorite villagers, bit I would miss out on a lot by doing so. So, I hope they do not go down that path.

I am conflicted. There is a sense of achievement when you finally have one of your favorite villagers move into your town. So that would cheapen the experience by cutting short the longing for your two favorite characters. It would also render moot the desire of the game?s creator to force you to meet and eventually create a bond with two villagers that you wouldn?t necessarily spend time with otherwise. I would love to experience the founding of a new village on a deserted island with my two favorite villagers, bit I would miss out on a lot by doing so. So, I hope they do not go down that path.

Yeah, I actually agree with all of that.

Small difference on my part maybe is that the villagers I?d pick are only two favorites of many, not the two most favorite specifically.
Additionally, I?d still be able to get to know new villagers and ?bond? with them once the Island starts filling up. Don?t get me wrong, I really, really hope there?s actually some increased depth to the relationship with those first two Animals, but I?m not convinced yet that they?ll be any different from the later additions. Factors determining the validity of that bonding process, to me, are whether or not the starters are in any way unique game mechanically-speaking, or how much time we spend with them alone before others start moving in.

How would you feel if you could scan in amiibo cards for your first two villagers? Would you consider it?

I stopped playing NL before the whole Amiibo thing, so I have no experience when it comes to that. But for me, one of the best parts of all AC games is that you get to meet different villagers and grow fond of them, so being able to choose right away which villagers are on your island doesn't feel organic at all. Trading villagers was also way more fun before the Amiibo update imo. I don't think they'd ever allow that to happen and I hope they don't.

I'm very conflicted with this because there are certain villagers that I just do not want. This won't make me like them either and it would suck to not be able to get them to move. However, it is very cool that other people will be stuck on this debt train with you. :p

What has me concerned, is that is it only these first two that you can choose where they live? It seems unlikely they would limit it to just those two, but it still has me worried none the less.

Somebody mentioned this in another thread and I?d be curious to hear others opinion:

Personally, I?d both love and hate it. While I want to play and have villagers move in naturally, I can?t deny that I?d be very, very tempted to move in two favorites to start with.

This is pretty much how I feel. I have my two favorite villager's amiibo cards too so it would be beyond tempting.

Honestly, there's something about the randomness of having villagers move in that I enjoy. Yeah, you're always gonna have your favourites, but sometimes, it's kinda fun to have one you really don't like in your town (for a little bit, at least). I don't know, I just always liked going up to a new house in my town and seeing who was moving in without knowing beforehand!

I wrote about it somewhere. I figure the two random villagers will be opposite genders. That would also mean the two starting villagers are from separate Villager Personality Categories. I would keep that in mind with respect to the design of the game.

Back