• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

There are 2 random villagers that have chosen to take the Getaway Package with you

Boccages

Bells
Switch
0347-4629-2695
Silver Mailbox
Pear (Fruit)
Orange (Fruit)
Mailbox
A new IGN article has a crapload of new informations on how interactions work with villagers.
  • When you start off on your remote, deserted island, you are accompanied with Tom Nook, Timmy, Tommy and two randomly chosen villagers
  • These two random villagers actually bought into the Nook Inc. Getaway Package with you and as such "because they invested in this package that they have as much of a right to stay on the island as you do".
  • But, they will ask you for your opinion before they plop down their house "However, Kyogoku said before they choose a spot for their home, they’ll check with you to see if it’s okay. If you don’t like where they settle down you can tell them you don’t want to build in that particular spot and move their house location to wherever you see fit"
  • Aya Kyogoku said that the relationship the players have with these two starting villagers usualle grows into a close bond. "With [New Horizons], because you’re moving to a deserted island with other animals, the relationship that you have with these two first couple of animals is you’re kind of on the same starting ground. It’s a very new type of a relationship. I know that a lot of the Animal Crossing fans have their favorites and not so favorite animals. One thing I can definitely is that with the development team, there’s a lot of people who say ‘Hey, I didn’t really care about these two animals at first, but actually, now that I’ve moved to this island together with them, they’re really starting to grow on me.’ and start to have a new type of relationship with them.”
  • Building on the deserted island should not feel totally disorienting for the Animal Crossing fans although buildings are not built in the order we are used to in New Leaf
  • The two animals that invested with you in the Getaway Package are also indebted to Tom Nook and have to repay their own loan
  • Kyogoku said there is a new system to invite new "animals to the island, but not necessarily seek out one of Animal Crossing's many animals."
  • The animal villagers cannot be forced out of the island (including the first two), but they can move out of the island somehow if they so desire.
  • It seems repaying your loan to Tom Nook unlocks new services or new buildings
  • You don't need to repay your neighbor's debt (in the case of the two animals that invested in the Getaway Package with you). They will pay their loan back at their own pace whether or not you pay back your own loan. "You don’t need to worry about having to upgrade all the Islanders’ houses"
  • Nook Miles are a new currency that has been created to encourage people to do certain activities, like catching bugs or fish. "Then, they can exchange Nook Miles for special things, like a Nook Inc. uniform, DIY recipes, and other services."
  • "There are no new personality types."
  • "The Nook Phone will get new apps, like the design feature from New Leaf."
  • "There are new ways to improve your friendship with Islanders, like gifting them crafted items."
  • "Islanders can teach you new DIY recipes."
  • "You can’t set up a tent on a friend’s island."

Last edited:
This is a ton of new info, wow!
I'm really intrigued by how the villagers work, but I'm so happy we can choose where they live. Now I can let go of plotting for hours.

I am intrigued by the way you will have villagers, however. But it does open up for people to get interests in villagers they may not be into.

Also, the animals having loans of their own is really unique. I love how there will be more to do with them.

Last edited:
Yup, this is all very interesting. I wouldn't have thought they would deepen the villagers background like that with goals (paying debt) and new interactions (gifting them crafted items). It's a sleek way for Nintendo to make long-time players reevaluate which animals they like by forcing them down the "I built my island with X and Y" path and not just seek out the ones they liked before. I know it will work. Why ? Because I sometimes grew accustomed to to villagers I did not care about just because they "were there" when I arrived and I have good memories of them along the way. They will reinforce that feeling with the "we've built something" feeing.

I might try to keep the two villagers we start with. We started something special together, we need to stay together.

Forever.

I have read it and I would prefer to choose who lives there, but it doesn't matter too much.
I don't really get too involved in friendships, probably because I'm an older player.

It sounds like you just have to wait for them to decide to move out. :)

Last edited:
That's some good news. Hell yeah no more plot resetting. I think they really thought a lot about fan wishes :)

Will anyone be resetting to get two animals they like? I think it'll be tempting! :blush:

I am thinking about it but I try to stick to the first map like always :) as long as I don't get really ugly villagers is all good.

Shout out to you for having an Olive avatar :blush: I truly love that character. I had her in my Gamecube town 15 years ago.

I think it's a possibility. But since you are starting with only 2 animal buddies, restarting might be too tedious since the chances of falling on 1 of your besties is only 1 in 250...
Will anyone be resetting to get two animals they like? I think it'll be tempting! :blush:

So, if villagers pay off their own debt, does that mean they’re houses will slowly fill up with furniture over time? We saw a crafting table type thing in Fuchscia’s house during the trailer, so I wonder if this is the case.

I was hoping we could upgrade their houses and be able to change wall/carpet like we could in Wild World.

NL only allowed furniture to be changed by mailing it or completing tasks, so not being able to send them wallpaper or carpet can ruin a theme if you're planning to have one.

Last edited:
I really love the idea of moving their houses where you want them to be and letting the villagers be more part of your island and not have them feel like they aren't real, it gives them character (and also the fact that you don't have to waste your precious bells on upgrading their houses as well :) ) However, I am a bit scared that I might end up with ugly villagers at the start of the game that I really hated whenever they appeared in my New Leaf town, e.g. Hazel and Anicotti (no offence to anyone who likes them).

I love the idea that your neighbors will progress with you, wow! I'm gonna end up so attached to the two that joins me on the island package I already know it lol ;_; I love that they seem to emphasize that your neighbors are autonomous. One of my favorite things about animal crossing is letting my neighbors come and go as they please naturally. The fact they fixed the issue of them plotting houses in bad spots already puts this game miles ahead of nl for me.

Yay for no more plot resetting! But this stresses me out even more about starting up my town, lol. Now I have to figure out how to plot myself and two villagers right away. Just figuring out where to put my house is a hard enough task.

Also, wondering how the villagers paying off their loans is going to work. Hope it'll be better than them paying off PWPs in NL, but I also sort of hope it's dependent on the player. So, if you stay in a tent, maybe they will, too, so you can make a camping town or something. I also wonder if that means their houses might be bigger, although it didn't really look like it in the trailer.

Ohh this clears up a lot of things. Now we also know there are no new personality types, although it would be interesting to know if there are any assigned personality changes in this new game. I feel like there's a couple articles with new info popping up here and there but it's nice to see them bullet pointed like this. Maybe someone should also make a master list of articles coming up with new info/clarifications?

As much as it is tempting to reset for the first two, I do think it will be too tedious and I'll probably just go along with whatever they give me. I'm soo happy that we'll be able to choose where they plot though! Now I'm wondering... will the dialogue trigger for villagers to "move out" be during or after the tent phase when the villager pays off their loan? And how much can we help with that? I'm getting a lot of HHD vibes from this game already, with having some say on the villager houses and putting furniture outside. This is all so exciting!!

Last edited:
But, they will ask you for your opinion before they plop down their house "However, Kyogoku said before they choose a spot for their home, they?ll check with you to see if it?s okay. If you don?t like where they settle down you can tell them you don?t want to build in that particular spot and move their house location to wherever you see fit"

I'm sold!!!

I'm guessing that Nook Miles is how we get our ordinances since those are kind of "services"? Like if you pluck enough weeds, you can have the beautiful town ordinance, etc. If that is so, I'm totally down with that, as that means we could have multiple ordinances in play as long as we work towards them! ^_^

The animals not plotting in bad places is huge to me. Like I think I would probably tolerate, and may even grow to like, super ugly villagers if they will put their house exactly where I want it to be. Plot resetting is irritating because of how random it can be and I only really wanted to do that for villagers I really like. If we don't have to plot reset anymore, that's perfect.

I did notice that it looked like the villagers were in tents too in one of the videos. Maybe it was the Treehouse video. I wondered how they got regular houses. It's interesting to see the answer is that they have debt too and they'll slowly pay it off over time.

I will probably let them slowly pay it off because it'll be interesting to see them in tents for a while, but I wonder if it'll be possible for us as the player to pay off their debt for them if we want to. I can see people wanting to do that if they're really trying to get their island looking a certain way as quickly as possible.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I probably won't. I went through a lot of effort to get all of my dreamies in New Leaf. It was nice, but I think I need to let myself make friends with new animals. :)

I probably WILL reset for a nice island map though, just in case we can't affect things like river shape.

I?m a little concerned about the ?new system? to invite villagers to your town. I?ve always appreciated the randomization of villagers starting up throughout the past entries but the wording of that point almost sounds like now they might lock you out from obtaining villagers from other people...which doesn?t sound pleasant considering I would like the opportunity to have my faves around :((

There isn?t a direct connection between New Horizons and Pocket Camp

Rip all my money invested in leaf tickets.

But good to hear that they are planning on cross over items.
Thank the lord for letting us choose the housing of the villagers, that's a big improvement!

Last edited:
Back