• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What features do you think are here to stay?

tanisha23

🎶Come on and Join the Adelaide Parade 🎶
Bells
Switch
6974-1338-1595
Blue Balloon
Festival Lantern
Mother's Day Carnation
I know it won’t be a while before a new AC, but thinking about all the new features that New Horizons had to offer to the AC world, what features do you think are here to stay?

For me, given the new audience that AC gained with acnh, I think terraforming and the ability to have a bit more control over what villager you get on you island has to be here to stay. Maybe not through villager hunting, but just that more control. I think they we’re both such a huge appeal to any sort of AC content I’ve seen online.

Can you think of anything that must surely be here to stay? Maybe some small features?

I hope crafting items isn't here to stay. 😬 Obtaining stuff in the games used to be kind of a surprise/luck treasure hunt. Now you're telling me I have to make stuff or go farm materials for things?? 🙄 I guess within the context of being on deserted island it makes sense, but I'm hoping this was just some experimental thing that will stay in New Horizons for another few entries. 🤞🔐

Placing furniture outside and being able to move it about is a new feature that I'm not too fond of, but appreciate nonetheless. 💡 I can see that being a new norm for the series. 👍

I agree, I think that the new audience the ac franchise has got will hugely affect how future games are made.

I loved new leaf tbf, the town was a real cute part of the game in my opinion. The hair dressers and the option to work in the cafe definitely added a lot to the game in relation to its realistic qualities.

Horizons adds a more decorative and controlled approach. I really appreciate the ability to pick where houses are located and the shops as it gives control but I think it’s a little overwhelming at times as I’m constantly worried I’ve messed up and have to wait a whole day to reassess my placement 💀

I think the control will stay in horizons but surely they’ve got to reintroduce parts of the old games to keep the og players content.

I just hope they listen to the players more in future scenarios as a lot of the things we asked for in this game weren’t given.

I hope crafting items isn't here to stay. 😬 Obtaining stuff in the games used to be kind of a surprise/luck treasure hunt. Now you're telling me I have to make stuff or go farm materials for things?? 🙄 I guess within the context of being on deserted island it makes sense, but I'm hoping this was just some experimental thing that will stay in New Horizons for another few entries. 🤞🔐

Placing furniture outside and being able to move it about is a new feature that I'm not too fond of, but appreciate nonetheless. 💡 I can see that being a new norm for the series. 👍
You know what, I wasn’t even thinking about this, and you’re so right. I think the concept of it works really well with the setting of NH so let’s keep it there (or like keep it at a minimum). Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s a really cute concept, and a nice way to like introduce to originally with this installment, but it always takes so long. A lot of time if I could really use a piece of furniture that requires crafting, I sometimes opt to just not use for this reason.
Post automatically merged:

I agree, I think that the new audience the ac franchise has got will hugely affect how future games are made.

I loved new leaf tbf, the town was a real cute part of the game in my opinion. The hair dressers and the option to work in the cafe definitely added a lot to the game in relation to its realistic qualities.

Horizons adds a more decorative and controlled approach. I really appreciate the ability to pick where houses are located and the shops as it gives control but I think it’s a little overwhelming at times as I’m constantly worried I’ve messed up and have to wait a whole day to reassess my placement 💀

I think the control will stay in horizons but surely they’ve got to reintroduce parts of the old games to keep the og players content.

I just hope they listen to the players more in future scenarios as a lot of the things we asked for in this game weren’t given.
Yeah I definitely agree! Going into the game, and even just watching that original trailer, I remember being excited about all that control, but it’s definitely a part of the game that sometimes overwhelms me thinking about how much I can do.

I think AC in general is something that I would consider a slow game, and ACNH added some areas to the game that quickened the pace. I think some of the elements that did this I quite enjoy, but would be cool to see some of those slower elements re-introduced in the future.

Last edited:
I don't care which features stay or go, but I'm hoping they keep the feature where villagers won't move out unless you let them. I see Animal Crossing as a stress-free game and having to worry about my favorite villagers potentially moving out can be stressful at times. Aside from that, they can add or remove features as they please.

I'm pretty sure they will keep the terraforming and customizable options for villager homes, and stuff of that nature. Animal Crossing is known for is customizable ability so I believe they will continue to honor that.

Also, I agree with Croconaw, as I hope they keep our ability to keep our villagers without them moving out. That was such a stressful factor of previous games, and I just hope they continue to keep that for us!

Being able to customize and change your features like eyes, hair, skin tone, etc, at will. Also, being able to choose what you look like in the beginning of the game. Before New Horizons these were unheard of. Now I think they'll become staples going forward.

i think the overall improvements to interior decorating are here to stay. i hope that we'll keep the ability to decorate the island and move buildings around too. i'm thinking if they keep those then terraforming has to stay as well.

not so sure about crafting sticking around beyond this title, but who knows maybe the island getaway is how the next game starts off too??

I don't care which features stay or go, but I'm hoping they keep the feature where villagers won't move out unless you let them. I see Animal Crossing as a stress-free game and having to worry about my favorite villagers potentially moving out can be stressful at times. Aside from that, they can add or remove features as they please.
This. I really hope this is a main stay.

- Terraforming I can see staying.
- I think crafting to a certain extent stays as well.
- I also hope flowers not dying stays but maybe not multiply like crazy when it rains

- Character customization
- Placing furniture outdoors
- Greater amount of empty space compared to the number of buildings and villager homes
- Villagers not moving away without your express permission

I hope we will see a return to less personal control and instead more life sim elements and immersion, but I doubt it. I’m happy about character customization, though—that was a necessary change! I also like that villagers ask your opinion before moving, as it lowers the re-entry barrier after a period of inactivity.

I think the multiple tiers and choosing where villager houses go are here to stay.. I hope things like partitions, columns, accent walls, etc. are also here to stay and maybe even expanded upon. It'd be nice to be able to hang things on partitions and columns!!

I definitely think crafting, terraforming, and exterior decorating are here to stay.

I just hope they make crafting and terraforming less tedious in newer games, and don’t ignore other aspects of those games. In my opinion, my favorite and most and important aspect are the villagers.
Post automatically merged:

I hope they keep our ability to keep our villagers without them moving out. That was such a stressful factor of previous games, and I just hope they continue to keep that for us!
Agreed! some people don’t like this feature, and I don’t understand why. I think it’s great not having to worry about your villagers move out on you.

tbh I think what stays from NH ultimately comes down to what direction the next game takes. If it's a more design-focussed game, I think at the very least terraforming and exterior decorating are coming back but if it's a more life sim focussed game, I think a large portion of stuff added in NH isn't coming back (controversially, I think that even extends to stuff like "villagers not moving out unless you explicitly let them"... they're meant to at least give the illusion of having their own free will! Taking that away just so you can stop playing for large periods of time and not lose whatever villager your dreamie is gets rid of that!)

also generally don't want "flowers not wilting" coming back, because the combination of that and having flower breeding mechanics still in place equals "oh dear god, so many flowers".

also generally don't want "flowers not wilting" coming back
personally, I like how they don’t wilt in GC, NL (if you have the beautiful town ordinance), and NH. I feel they can be a pain to keep up with in WW and CF. Plus, there isn’t really an indicator that you’ve watered the flowers.

However, I think New leaf did the best to achieve a compromise. You had to use the beautiful town ordinance to keep flowers from wilting.

Basically, the more popular features are here to stay.

I could also argue the Happy Home Designer/Happy Home Paradise related controls/features will be in the next game and after.

Now although I hope that breaking tools go away in the future, there’s got to be some challenge. But if breaking tools are here to stay, they could extend the durability of all tools in the next game to minimize the frustration. Same with being free to craft multiple fishbait at once.

I think they will defs carry crafting into the next animal crossing game. I am not to sure with terraforming as some people do not really like that feature but I love it and want it in future games.

I wouldn't mind if either crafting or terraforming were here to stay, but both need a massive overhaul. Terraforming needs to be more manageable (we are all adults or teens here) but this game is intended for all ages. We need to have terraforming be accessible to all ages. Terraforming is such a slow tedious slog.

Crafting is such a mixed bag. Why can't we pool from pockets and storage? Why must we have to look and see what we need, go try to find it and pull it into our pockets, and then go and craft. Bulk crafting. Being able to recycle stuff to break it down for materials (maybe the yield is like 50-70% of what it was made from). Alternating between crafting and customizing and not being kicked out after each craft so we have to drone through the same text.

Tools breaking needs to go away. If they really want it. Make the first tier tools, maybe the second, break, but after that we don't need that crap. It's fine with a game like Zelda that's a adventure stressed environment. AC is not supposed to be that. It's supposed to be chill. No one is chill if their tools keep breaking. Are our watering cans made out of cardboard?

Like what others have said, I bet that all the new customization features like crafting, terraforming, etc. are going to stay, since people seemed to like those features and they'll only be improved upon in the next entry.

some people don’t like this feature, and I don’t understand why. I think it’s great not having to worry about your villagers move out on you.
I'm one of those people lol. I just think it's boring now, and it gives me one less reason to talk to my villagers. If they gave the villagers more interactivity with you or the town, as in asking you to do stuff, choosing where things go (like their houses or items outside), I really would not have minded. I always felt that things happening without you was one of the key features of Animal Crossing too.

personally, I like how they don’t wilt in GC, NL (if you have the beautiful town ordinance), and NH. I feel they can be a pain to keep up with in WW and CF. Plus, there isn’t really an indicator that you’ve watered the flowers.

However, I think New leaf did the best to achieve a compromise. You had to use the beautiful town ordinance to keep flowers from wilting.
There's an indicator that flowers have been watered, but it's kind of subtle: flowers that have been watered will sparkle throughout the day. Unwatered flowers don't sparkle.

Back