• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What features do you think are here to stay?

The terraforming is probably here to stay.

I'd rather the villagers moving be a thing where you directly ask certain villagers to stay permanently, and the rest can move out whenever they want.

The grass situation. I don't think I've come across anyone who liked the grass wearing away. When NL launched, everyone's towns just looked like giant mud pits.

NL was far better than CF in this regard, at least.

I think the multiple tiers and choosing where villager houses go are here to stay.. I hope things like partitions, columns, accent walls, etc. are also here to stay and maybe even expanded upon. It'd be nice to be able to hang things on partitions and columns!!

I hope to be able to decorate my individually placed walls. Nintendo, please.

There's an indicator that flowers have been watered, but it's kind of subtle: flowers that have been watered will sparkle throughout the day. Unwatered flowers don't sparkle.

Same for crops!

I just hope breakable tools don’t make a return (except for the axe).
Honestly I don't mind breakable tools, as long as they're classified as weak/flimsy/etc. I think it adds a bit of character to the game. But golden tools shouldn't ever break. I think the development team said they were inspired by Breath of the Wild when it came to how tools functioned, but even BoTW gave an 'unbreakable tool' in the form of the Master Sword. I think the next AC game should do something similar: flimsy tools easily break, normal tools break after a little while, but gold tools should never break.

Last edited:
I like to believe terraforming is here to stay, and controlling villagers from moving out for sure.

I highly believe there will be at least three major things that will definitely come back: Terraforming and path placement, the NookPhone, and decorating of villager houses.
  • There were so many players that were able to take advantage of the terraforming tools, and the feature is only going to get better. I'm not expecting it to be as in-depth as let's say Cities: Skylines, but if the controls from HHP were actually implemented in the main game, that would be a designer's dream. As for path placement, it's a no-brainer that it will come back in some form. Does it need to be improved as well? Yes, but not as much as with terraforming controls. It bothered my OCD that paths would not seam into bridges, inclines or certain building entrances, and diagonal paths definitely need to be improved. These are little things that could easily be fixed in the next game.
  • The NookPhone is essentially the game's way of bringing itself into modern times, and there's still a ton of potential for it. For instance, alongside traditional mail service, wouldn't it be cool if we could text our friends any time we wanted or create group chats? Or maybe, just maybe, even animal villagers who moved away? Or even a little resale app based off Mercari, Poshmark and others where you could put up rare furniture or clothing for sale for others to buy, and have it sent through the mail?
  • Obviously, there are villagers that some people love and adore, but hate how their house looks. This was essentially me and Mallary in New Horizons. Whatever happened to her harmonious rattan theme? I was thankful that HHP introduced that villager house remodel feature, and I really do hope it becomes a mainstay, but of course, be something you have to unlock. It wouldn't make sense if you move a villager in and instantly go change their house. Doing that in real life as a mayor would be a big no-no.

i think the common areas we create and decorate in happy home paradise might make it to the main game next time!

it would be super cool to set up our own restaurant, cafe, etc!!

Decorating. Not just outside, but due to the acnh dlc, inside public buildings and villager housing.
Placing items in half spaces.
Crafting. It was the reason for my even trying out animal crossing. A lot more can be done with it... And it was such a huge focus if I can't imagine it ever leaving the franchise.
I don't see a decrease in villagers you can have. The 10 will probably stay if not expanded.
Trading with other players for stuff, unfortunately.
Villagers not moving out without permission. I feel like Nintendo is moving animal crossing to a more customized experience rather than pure rng. Villagers may move in randomly in the future but I couldn't imagine them moving out randomly too..

Decorating. Not just outside, but due to the acnh dlc, inside public buildings and villager housing.
Placing items in half spaces.
Crafting. It was the reason for my even trying out animal crossing. A lot more can be done with it... And it was such a huge focus if I can't imagine it ever leaving the franchise.
I don't see a decrease in villagers you can have. The 10 will probably stay if not expanded.
Trading with other players for stuff, unfortunately.
Villagers not moving out without permission. I feel like Nintendo is moving animal crossing to a more customized experience rather than pure rng. Villagers may move in randomly in the future but I couldn't imagine them moving out randomly too..

I don't think they'll do inside public buildings.

I can definitely see terraforming/paths, being able to customise your character's face directly, being able to place houses/buildings wherever you want and villagers only moving out with permission sticking around in future installments. Maybe being able to place furniture outside and redecorating villager homes too. I don't think things like crafting/resource gathering and breakable tools (besides axes) will be sticking around for much longer, though.

I think crafting will stay permanently in a lesser degree but terraforming will stay as it is

The fact grass doesn't get worn when you run, or that weeds are seen as bad was awful, and I'm glad its not like that here. Whoever decided that for New Leaf needs a hammer bonk because that was silly.
And since they made the weeds look lovely all seasons, they're perfect~

Another thing I think would stay, would be the villager hunting aspect, tho I know most might not like this, but there's been so many videos and streams of people using nook miles to go find their own fav villager rather then using the cards if they have them.

I think the nook phone also is something that I can see staying they just need to give us more use of it. Sure we have letters, which is nice every once and while but it would be fun/annoying to have them message us on our phones. And ask if they can come over.

I feel like they may keep some aspects of crafting, but maybe not necessarily crafting tools (or at least I would hope). Having tool levels outside of the basic tools & the golden tools really doesn't have a place in the Animal Crossing franchise, imo.

I also think there's a good chance they maintain all the aspects of house decorating, maybe even the extra features that were only unlocked with the HHP upgrades, like walls, counters, decorating villager homes, etc.

I definitely feel like they would maintain the player's ability to decorate outdoors, form the island and move around any shops or homes that you'd like. In my opinion, if they removed those features it would be a huge step backwards away from features that everyone looks for in a game like AC!

Back