• Join us for live Nintendo Trivia today at 6PM EDT in Discord as part of TBT's World Championship 2024 to win points for your team! if justin is awake

The Anime Thread

tbh if you're gonna use piracy, just torrent the thing in question. at least that way you won't be helping people profit off of stolen content
Yeah, true. Though I only brought up piracy because Spike said they wanted a place online to watch. I usually am against it and don't really condone it, but I also don't really mind it if there's like no other option.

Currently watching Shiki. Funimation is losing the rights for it, so it'll be gone off of Crunchyroll at the end of this month. It's basically a horror anime about how vampires are killing/converting everyone in this small rural town over time and what the townspeople do in reaction. Some are choosing to try to find out info and fight back, others are pretending this all isn't happening. Honestly, this is the first anime I've seen in a LONG time that takes vampires seriously instead of trying to treat them like pretty boys ala Twilight.

Since I recently finished Danganronpa 2, I'll be watching the Danganronpa 3 anime when I'm done with Shiki. It sounds like it's best to watch that first before playing the V3 game.

Oh my gosh. Shiki is my absolute favourite anime EVER. I feel like it is so underappreciated. I hope you continue to enjoy watching it. c:

there's quite a bit I have to say regarding Spike's fate, but I'm gonna have to wait until you finish the film first. so as to not spoil anything

I just finished watching Cowboy Bebop: The Movie. What were you going to tell me about Spike?s fate? You can use a spoiler tag if necessary.

hold on, I'm still relishing in exhaustive tranquility at being freed from events hell in fgo

though I will say not to expect a whole lot

Last edited:
BUMP.

I’m still waiting on hearing this “extra information”.... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I used to he huge into anime but lately I haven't watched any of it and don't know why. Last anime I think I watched was Boruto.

Reminds me that after having watched all of Cowboy Bebop and all of what there is so far of My Hero Academia, I became so bored I started watching Dragon Ball Super. I’m on episode 16 or so. I’ve heard people say before in Discord servers I’ve been in that it’s not a great anime, but I have no idea why. I guess I’m just a sucker for wanting to watch something like this. I think it’s cool (and it also makes sense for me to watch it since I watched DBZ: Kai years ago).

Last edited:
Dragon Ball Super is definitely not the best saga to DBZ. But it is definitely worth watching !! (idc what people say blue haired Trunks is God)

- - - Post Merge - - -

Reminds me that after having watched all of Cowboy Bebop and all of what there is so far of My Hero Academia, I became so bored I started watching Dragon Ball Super. I’m on episode 16 or so. I’ve heard people say before in Discord servers I’ve been in that it’s not a great anime, but I have no idea why. I guess I’m just a sucker for wanting to watch something like this. I think it’s cool (and it also makes sense for me to watch it since I watched DBZ: Kai years ago).

DBZ Kai on the other hand I laughed during that series more than I anticipated LOL I still watched it to completion though.

so Bebop's inconclusive ending

I actually really like how it's not just vague in the sense of how the show itself ends, but also in terms of hints throughout the show. Vicious and Spike's relationship of "each one being the only person able to kill the other" (and Vicious does almost certainly die in the end). Waltz for Venus being very easily read as a foreshadowing of things to come, with Rocco's subplot of trying to leave his gang having very obvious parallels of Spike's own attempt to leave the syndicate. Character pasts being a very thematically relevant focus, with Spike being the only one of the main cast unable to move on from his own past, and plenty of other things I'm sure I'm forgetting

But Knockin' on Heaven's Door? Takes place after Brain Scratch, right? Well supposedly yes, but....

One thing I love about the film is that it can also be read as a mental struggle of Spike confronting and finally coming to terms with his own past and self and moving on after his final confrontation with Vicious, with the golden butterflies at the beginning and end of the film separating what was and wasn't "real". Since while Vicious was very much a contrast to Spike, Vincent can be very easily read as a representation of Spike's merciless past self, with Elektra obviously playing the role of "Julia" in this case. Which would also give further reason as to why Spike is never able to really "beat" Vincent, since personal history can't exactly just be beaten down and thrown away. Plus it helps to further explain why other characters in the Bebop crew (especially Ed and Ein) aren't as relevant here beyond just "Spike's the main character, so of course he'd be most important", since if we take the plot as being a focus on Spike's own inner struggles, then of course everyone else wouldn't have near as much relevance. Spike's struggles are his own, so a story focusing on them would be far less just a story with him in it, and far more of a story about him: Both internally (his self), and externally (the world around him).

Though I can understand why they would put this where they did, since "it was all a dream" twists are kinda generally hated (and for good reason). Though I think in the case of not just being done to erase everything that happened, but something like this, where it can also advance a character, is much more serviceable. So to that end I'm always torn myself on if I prefer Spike being alive or dead by the end of the TV finale. On one hand, him being dead fits very well with the recurring themes of him being unable to move on from his past. But on the other, I absolutely love the idea of the film being the point that Spike is able to finally move on from it, even if just a little bit. With the film being made much more stronger by it as well.

Also, Speak Like a Child's finale is not just the best scene of the series, but possibly one of the best scenes of any anime period, and everyone should watch it. So for those who haven't

Last edited:
Alright, thanks for explaining all of that, LambdaDelta.

It’s unfortunate that no matter how much we speculate, we’ll never truly be able to tell whether Spike lives or dies after the last episode of the show. I realize now and like how some of the villain characters portray different sides of the main casts’ personalities, and I believe that gives a great deal more of meaning to the characters and struggles they had to go through.

Plus, the thing that hits me the most with this #1 anime is this: the characters are strong, quick, and clever, but they have their weaknesses. I heard someone mention this in a YouTube comments page before, but they each have their own weaknesses that makes them more realistic as a character. It’s not like One Punch Man or DBZ where they can either be so strong no enemy can beat them, or just wish themselves back to life. They were real characters with real struggles, and they had to rely on their strengths in over to try and overcome their weaknesses, and even then they never truly overcome each of their inner struggles. Ed and Ein stay on Earth in the end because they cannot move into the future, Jet really just wants to stay in the present, but it’s difficult with being around Spike all the time, Faye is somewhat stuck in the future actually, at least until she finds out about her past in that video, and then she questions things, and Spike, of course, is almost always stuck in the past for the duration of the show.

Because of that, I think no matter how futuristic it is, it’s still a very realistic anime, the things that happen usually seem like they could actually happen (given enough time), and the characters actually feel like real people. I think it characterizes well how a lot of people in today’s modern age can also not get rid of their own history, no matter how much they try. And to finish this post and anime off, the icing on the cake, is of course, the decision to create the anime after the idea of “American cowboys” when the actual style is very much more oriental and Eastern-like. It wasn’t just a show trying to jumpstart a genre, it was an anime trying to make a statement to the world at the time. :)

Last edited:
Dragon Ball Super replaced King of the Hill on [as] and I'm very irritated.

That's all I have to say about anime for now.

i've been meaning to check out lain :O

my favorite anime are PMMM, devilman (the ova), and popee the performer (if that counts?)! i don't think i could pick a #1 from those three.... theyre all so good (ptp is definitely not as good but it's as good in my heart LOL)

i've been trying to check out more of the older shows bc i really dig the art style of old anime! i just finished evangelion a few months ago and i'm currently trying to get into dbz cuz my friend has been showing me the abridged one and it looks really good.
for the longest time i thought dbz was silly and was just popular bc young boys think it's cool but LISTEN it's not my fault i swear!!! my only exposure to dbz before my friend started showing it to me was dbz KAI so you can see where i got the idea from right???? D:

So I’m still on episode 56 of Dragon Ball Super, and I’m about to continue forward. First I had to watch episode 52 of My Hero Academia, and it has a... different opening? Which is weird, because it’s still season three I’m pretty sure, but not weird because season two had two different openings I guess.

Also, on DBS...

Also, one of the recent DBS episodes I watched where they visited Zamasu was hilarious. Goku greeted him with “We are pleased to make your accountant” (instead of acquaintance). Beerus laughs at him and Whis says “We’re not a tax office”. But the best part is Beerus’s and Whis’s faces right afterwards.

Priceless. : ‘ )

EDIT: Also yes, I watched the episode and saw the “meme” part. Lmao

Last edited:
BUMPPPPPP.

So I’m at episode 78 now of DBS (the one right after the start of the last arc, Universal Survival Saga), and looking forward to seeing really good fights. I’m just hoping the production team(s) for DBS at this time were bent on showing the craziest battles possible to the viewers since this is probably the end of Dragon Ball as a franchise once DBS is over (and I honestly cannot imagine Goku getting any stronger than SSGSS + Kai-Oh-Ken, that would be ridiculous). Looking forward to it! :D

EDIT: Oh right, I forgot about....

Ultra Instinct. I guess this is the arc when I will finally see it. I don’t know if it’s really a power upgrade though so much as it’s a speed upgrade. All I know about it is that it was memed with other things to death, but I’m eager to see what it looks like in the show

Last edited:
ah, since a new bnha ep came out today i'd figure i'd use this thread to promo myself if that's alright haha

i have a boku no hero academia blog on tumblr if anyone wants to follow it! it's @lordsunriot. there's manga content on there but anything spoilery is tagged as such.

anyways i'm super excited for this upcoming license arc (especially the characters introduced). though admittedly i'm anticipating the events afterwards more... i'm rly hoping for a big 3 tease at the end of the season

ah, since a new bnha ep came out today i'd figure i'd use this thread to promo myself if that's alright haha

i have a boku no hero academia blog on tumblr if anyone wants to follow it! it's @lordsunriot. there's manga content on there but anything spoilery is tagged as such.

anyways i'm super excited for this upcoming license arc (especially the characters introduced). though admittedly i'm anticipating the events afterwards more... i'm rly hoping for a big 3 tease at the end of the season

Thanks for sharing this! I don’t use tumblr myself, but I’m sure some people would enjoy going to it and checking it out.

Also, you double posted. Must be that kind of day for the forums. Lol

i've been meaning to check out lain :O

Lain's a great show, but you really get it more if you understand what the internet and home computers were like in the 90's. Some aspects of the show feel dated simply because of tech advancements since then.

Back