TBT's Farewell to New Leaf Event!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Omg I've only seen it tiny on mobile but its soooo cutee 😍😍
Who made this?

I set up the banner, but it's official art from Nintendo long ago! There's actually a little sort-of easter egg in that art too that I regretfully wish I remembered to include in one of the trivia sessions. Anyone notice it?

Me but with both the Picture Perfect and Mayoral Memories entries. Hnnngh. Hope I can pull them off in time.

You aren’t the only one. 😅 I would have worked on them this weekend but I was busy with a comicon… I have a clear idea for my written entry just need to set aside time to actually write it. I also still need to brainstorm ideas from my drawing entry.

hello! bit of a newbie question and i know im *quite* late to the party but i still wanted to participate in what i can for the end of the event and was wondering if perchance i could get assigned fruits? if im not too too late.. ': )

hello! bit of a newbie question and i know im *quite* late to the party but i still wanted to participate in what i can for the end of the event and was wondering if perchance i could get assigned fruits? if im not too too late.. ': )
All set! There are still a couple of days left to participate!

seeing the countdown get closer and closer to 24 hours...
1710969530050.png

seeing the countdown get closer and closer to 24 hours...
View attachment 546668
Wait, the moon is going to crash into the site? First I got 13 bells from the tree, now this? I knew I should have left the forums!

Anyway, on a serious note, this was a really fun event, and a really fun tribute to an amazing Animal Crossing game. I’m so grateful to the staff for making this!

🙋‍♀️ what's the easter egg i'm silly

Maybe a stretch to call it an 'easter egg', but as Zinnia pointed out, the art is based on the Japanese version and has some fun historic quirks! Specifically, I was calling out how Club LOL is called Club 444 in the Japanese game, which was amusingly a source of light controversy back in the day. After I included 'Jump Out' in the first trivia session, that would have been a great sequel for the second session.

Because there was a long gap of 8 months between the Japanese and English releases, a lot of us hyped freaks were very aware of the Japanese names of various buildings and characters, and so became quite attached to them. Another example is that Perfect Fruit was originally referred to as 'Delicious Fruit' in the Japanese version. So later when the actual English names got localized and announced, there was a bit of 'outrage' at finding some of the changes quite stupid after becoming so attached to the original names. Funny in hindsight to think about it though because now, who the hell cares. But there was a lot of caring at the time!

These types of regional name localizations still happen today, but because most games release at the same time now worldwide, nobody is really paying any attention to it.

Maybe a stretch to call it an 'easter egg', but as Zinnia pointed out, the art is based on the Japanese version and has some fun historic quirks! Specifically, I was calling out how Club LOL is called Club 444 in the Japanese game, which was amusingly a source of light controversy back in the day. After I included 'Jump Out' in the first trivia session, that would have been a great sequel for the second session.
I noticed the 444 right away, but I didn't know that was an Easter egg or a hot debate back in the day. I got back into AC in 2014 xmas so I missed all the speculation and waiting.

I noticed the 444 right away, but I didn't know that was an Easter egg or a hot debate back in the day. I got back into AC in 2014 xmas so I missed all the speculation and waiting.
It was mostly just because shoving 'LOL' into an Animal Crossing building name, especially when it wasn't the original intent in Japanese, just came across as a bit... 'cringe' for lack of a better word. Nintendo of America's localization team kind of had a reputation around that time as well for doing this sort of thing -- here's an example from Zelda a couple years later in 2015 that stirred up some controversy.

That said, Club 444 also makes no sense in English, so I understand why it happened.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back