• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Is it really so weird to like graveyards?

TurnipBell20

forever 90s ❤️
Bells
A while ago I asked a friend if she would like to go to a graveyard with me. She said no, because she thinks graveyards are creepy, there are too many dead people, blah blah blah. She found it really awkward that I like to spend time there.

I have always liked graveyards. I’d rather go there than to a park. I like to look at the gravestones. I even memorized the names of some people on my favorite graveyard. Now that really sounds kind of awkward. But I don’t think it is. What do you think about graveyards?

graveyards are chill and it is really interesting to see all of the different memorials. i think a lot of people find fascination with death/symbols associated with dying to be strange or off-putting bc they dont like to think about death or see it as something negative to avoid rather than just part of life. however i think its really grounding to remember that were all ultimately powerless to death and somehow being in a graveyard can make you feel more connected to life if that makes sense haha also theyre usually quiet and peaceful with well lots of greenery so thats nice too c:

No, it's not weird or creepy at all. That's like saying it's weird to like playing in the river. It makes zero logical sense. As long as you're not trying to rob the graves or disturb the place, I don't see anything wrong with it.

Well if a person doesn't want to be reminded of their loved one being dead then I can understand why they would feel uncomfortable. I been to a graveyard once when one of my friends sadly passed away and I won't go into the detail of what happened. I saw his grave around 2017 (2011 was the year he was buried) and I just get chills whenever the graveyard. All these people who were laid to rest and it brings back a lot of painful memories of what happened to the person you once know is no longer there.

Its not weird at all if you want to visit them just to you know "talk" like they are still there. My mom lost her brother last year and she goes to his grave to talk to him because she misses him that much.

I think it's interesting to look at the names on the stones and imagine the lives the people must have lived. That's why I love the website FindAGrave lol. There was a big cemetery across from my high school and in my gym class we could walk occasionally around the perimeter of it, so I've spent enough time at one to become curious about them.

I like a lot of things people consider "weird", and if I feel bad about it, I remind myself that we all have our own unique views of the world. I try not to sabotage my own happiness, and I certainly do not tolerate others attempting to do so. Be yourself-- you might inspire someone else to do the same.

I don't think it's weird at all. I've loved graveyards ever since I was a child. People have called me morbid but I find death interesting and I like looking at gravestones. I especially love older, historical graveyards.

Graveyards are great places to go when you're an introvert and just need to get away from people for a while. There are usually very few people there and if you do run into someone you're not expected to be social at a graveyard. Graveyards are quiet and peaceful so they're great places to go when you need some time to think.

I've also used graveyards for writing exercises before. I would find a gravestone or two that were really interesting and make up a story about the person's life based on the information I gathered just from the size, shape, age and writing on the stone. I like to do the same thing with old photographs of strangers. Both can really get my imagination going.

I don't consider it strange. They're aesthetically pretty and I like to really think about what is written on the headstones and imagine what the person was like. Twice I've been on first dates where we actually ended up exploring a necropolis.

It’s not weird. I like watching dating reality shows because I’m nosy about peoples’ personal life. I also watch similar shows, like “Ghosted.” I’m just into drama that doesn’t involve me, I guess. I think that’s weird, lol. 😂 My point is that we all have hobbies or interests that might be considered weird to some people, but we can’t help what we like. Just enjoy yourself. You only get one life to live. Unless you’re a cat, then you get nine. 🙃

A while ago I asked a friend if she would like to go to a graveyard with me. She said no, because she thinks graveyards are creepy, there are too many dead people, blah blah blah. She found it really awkward that I like to spend time there.

I have always liked graveyards. I’d rather go there than to a park. I like to look at the gravestones. I even memorized the names of some people on my favorite graveyard. Now that really sounds kind of awkward. But I don’t think it is. What do you think about graveyards?
I would happily go to the graveyard with you ☺️I have always found it so peaceful and I'd often spend time in the 1800's area of the cemetery I visit I love the gothic Victorian era and the design of the grave stones and reading them all.

I don't think it's creepy. Reading stones, especially in older graveyards, is interesting, and the settings are usually peaceful and pretty.
Yeah, I love doing that(in a peaceful way). Also you wonder what also those people were, especially those poor children who basically only got a tiny stone with their name on somewhere when they died as babies.

Yeah, I love doing that(in a peaceful way). Also you wonder what also those people were, especially those poor children who basically only got a tiny stone with their name on somewhere when they died as babies.
Yes, those always make me sad. But for the most part, it's fun to imagine the lives of people. Kind of on the same idea as people-watching at the mall or on a bus/train. :)

Yes, those always make me sad. But for the most part, it's fun to imagine the lives of people. Kind of on the same idea as people-watching at the mall or on a bus/train. :)
Yeah, for sure.

Exactly, I love doing that, especially those fancy people who got like 10 feet tall stones also aha.

No, it is not weird to like graveyards. I love going to graveyards especially to visit someone special to me who died last year (2021)

Last edited:
i don't think its creepy depending on the reasoning behind it. everything i've read here seems pretty valid and healthy, but i've come in contact with people that have a very unhealthy relationship with death and they go to graveyards for unsavory things. you see it a lot in true crime communities and these people are sometimes called "Deathlings."
but otherwise, i don't think it's weird. they're serene and they are a place of rest. i live by a jewish graveyard and some of the headstones are pretty and its usually well maintained.

i've come in contact with people that have a very unhealthy relationship with death and they go to graveyards for unsavory things. you see it a lot in true crime communities and these people are sometimes called "Deathlings."
Okay, wow, I’ve never heard of that, but it sure sounds creepy. I am definitely not one of these people. xD

i don’t think it’s weird at all. in fact, exploring graveyards is actually something my mom and i love to do together. there’s a certain graveyard in an area called belfountain that my mom and i especially love to visit. we haven’t been in ages, but it’s a beautiful place. it usually takes over an hour for us to drive there, travelling along curvy roads and roads that go up-and-down. there’s a beautiful lake along the way, trails, little farmhouses and cottages. there’s this house there that my mom says is her dream house, too.

the graveyard itself is beautiful as well, especially in the autumn. there’s so many trees that surround it that the colourful autumn leaves just makes the scenery pop even more. it’s an old graveyard, so some of the tombstones are dated as far back as the 1800’s. people always bring by the prettiest flowers and decorations for their loved ones, too. it’s always just my mom and i there when we go, but the flowers and decorations left behind are always lovely to look at. though, my favourite part is definitely looking at the tombstones and reading the epitaphs. everyone there mattered to at least one person, and i think it’s fascinating to read about them briefly and think about what kind of person they were and what sort of life they lived. we’re of course always respectful about this, though. we don’t touch the tombstones or the gifts left behind, nor do we step on anyone or any of the flat tombstones on the ground.

the graveyard in belfountain is definitely my mom and i’s favourite, but we enjoy graveyards in general. every time we drive by a new one, we make note of it so that we can maybe go and explore it one day. :’)

i think graveyards are interesting because i think about all the people who are buried there. i like seeing when they were born and when they died because i like to imagine how life was like when they lived (if it's a very old grave.) im not saying that i enjoy visiting cemeteries but i find them fascinating.

here's an odd story for ya'll, my family was in minnesota to visit family once and my dad decided to visit my great grandfather's grave. the person buried next to his grave was born on my brother's birthday and died on mine (not the same years though) which was a very creepy coincidence.

Back