• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

In general, do you prefer wearing long sleeves or short sleeves?

Do you generally prefer long sleeves or short sleeves?

• I prefer long sleeves

Votes: 22 41.5%
  • I prefer short sleeves

Votes: 26 49.1%
  • I prefer sleeveless tops

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • I prefer any long pants

Votes: 17 32.1%
  • I prefer longer shorts (reaching the knee or just above the knee)

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I prefer shorter shorts (mid-thigh or higher)

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I don't have a preference / I haven't thought about it

Votes: 4 7.5%

• Total voters

Croconaw

アリゲイツ
Bells
I wanted to create this thread after realizing how much I hate shorts. I don't care how warm the weather is; you will never see me wearing a pair of shorts. I've only worn shorts one time in the past decade, and those were swim trunks for swimming purposes.

I don't have a preference for the length of sleeves on shirts. I'm pickier with long sleeves as I prefer certain materials and the sleeves to be stitched a certain way. I mostly wear Under Armour shirts by themselves. There's probably a term for the types of stitching I prefer, but I don't know what it is. I will sometimes wear short sleeves over them, but that's a rare occurrence.

I'm even pickier with jackets, lmao. I don't like hoodies since I personally don't think they look good on me. I prefer the quarter-zip jackets with collars/mock necks or whatever you want to call them. Additionally, I hate hoods of any kind. I cover my head with a hat. I think I could pull off a full-zip jacket but it's gotta be light or thin material. I dislike puffy jackets or anything bulky.

I think I look just slightly better in long sleeves than short sleeves, especially with the sleeves somewhat scrunched or rolled up.

For short sleeves, I'm less picky. As I stick to warmer climates, I wear a lot of short sleeves. Most All of my short sleeve shirts feature my favorite sports teams or are jerseys of some kind. Sports are my literal aesthetic.

What sleeve length do you prefer on your clothing, for any reason?
You don't have to mention the reason if you aren't comfortable.

Edit: I had to fix a typo, lol. It was bothering me.

Last edited:
i prefer for comfort short sleeves and shorter shorts. i don’t live in a particularly warm place either so i’m not entirely sure why. i tend to be fine with the cold though, so you’ll find me late fall and early winter still wearing light clothes. fashion wise is another story though.

I think it depends on the weather but generally I get cold or uncomfortable too easily and prefer longer things.

It depends on where I am and what the temperature is. If I’m outside and the temp is anything above 8° C, I prefer wearing a short-sleeved shirt and long pants. If the temp is in the mid-teens or above, I’ll wear a short-sleeved shirt and shorts. I’m really sensitive to warm/hot temperatures, and being too clothed in a temperature that my body deems to be warm/hot is an easy way to make me feel sick and uncomfortable. I easily overheat. I don’t mind wearing short-sleeved shirts when I’m out, but wearing shorts makes me a little self-conscious. I suck it up and wear them anyways when I need/want to though, because my comfort is more important than what strangers think of me.

I’ll wear a long-sleeved hoodie and long pants when it’s below 8° C out. When I was a kid, wearing anything long-sleeved made me feel claustrophobic and uncomfortable, but I’ve thankfully outgrown that a bit as I’ve gotten older. Wearing long sleeves is actually my preference when I go out, but I won’t feel comfortable in them if it’s too warm/hot out. Coats and regular long-sleeved shirts still make me feel claustrophobic, so my go-to when I need to wear a long-sleeved top is a hoodie. I prefer baggy hoodies the most since I still get the benefits of wearing long sleeves, but they don’t cling to me or make me feel too warm or uncomfortable.

However, when I’m at home, I am not comfortable wearing anything long-sleeved at all. I have to be in a baggy short-sleeved shirt and shorts or else I’m not comfortable. I’ve always been like that, so I don’t see myself ever being comfortable wearing long sleeves at home. There have been times where I’ve elected to wear a hoodie at home for emotional comfort reasons, but I didn’t keep the hoodie on for longer than 30-60 minutes before I got too warm and had to take it off. 😅

I never wear shorts, regardless of how hot it is. I will wear short-sleeved tops in the summer, but not sleeveless. In the fall, winter and spring I'm always cold, so I prefer wearing long-sleeved tops. I guess I like long-sleeved tops best.

When it comes to tops I prefer short sleeves. Its usually warm here so its almost default at this point. I also like sleeveless tops, especially when I am exercising. In the night time or on cold rainy days I like wearing hoodies. I would actually prefer wearing hoodies all year if I could. For bottoms I prefer long pants. I don't like shorts.

For tops I HATE long sleeves.... Having the material all down my arm makes me feel liked I'm trapped I hate it.

I only ever buy shorter sleeves tops or dresses.

My ideal preference has always been wearing a short sleeve t-shirt, long sleeve hoodie, and knee-length shorts, since that is what I feel most comfortable in. I guess in a sense I prefer both long sleeves and short sleeves since I wear both a hoodie and t-shirt, though it's easier to take the hoodie off in the event I'm too hot and just want short sleeves only. The only time I wear pants is due to the weather, since otherwise I'd wear shorts year-round if I could.

I prefer short sleeves that I can wear a light jacket or cardigan with if I want to. I have temperature control issues, as in, I get really hot or really cold all of the sudden and often minutes after one another. I hate not being able to take off long sleeves if I get too hot and I don’t like to layer full shirts.

I don't have a preference. I'll wear anything as long as it looks good on me. That includes shorts. :lemon:

i like short sleeves more with long pants, hate how shorts look on me. i don’t dislike long sleeves but short sleeves are preferable.

i like shorts! they're comfy and easy to wear!
if it's cold, i'll wear fleece tights under my shorts. if it's too cold, then i am regretfully forced to wear pants.

as far as sleeves go, i like to have long sleeves -- either in the form of a hoodie or a jacket, or just a long sleeved shirt. this is mostly just because i like having sleeves to cover my hands, though. and because i like hoodies.

I prefer pants, but I'm good with capris too. I like short sleeve Ts but I have noticed since getting older I get cold alot so I am slowly trying long sleeve shirts in the winter under short sleeve Ts.

I prefer long-sleeved tops over short-sleeved. I don’t really buy tops with short sleeves unless they have some sort of fancy sleeve, if that makes sense? Even then, I just prefer long sleeves! I think it provides the right amount of warmth without getting too warm or needing extra layers? lol

I don‘t really have a preference between shorts and pants, but just given that I don’t wear shorts as often, dresses > pants > shorts > skirts, maybe?

For some reason I don't mind showing my legs for skirts or dresses, but hate doing it for shorts. But as for tops, I have a myopic distaste for short sleeves. I'm not sure why, but I rather dislike showing my arms. If I wear a short sleeve blouse or other top, there has to be something over it, even if it's just a loose cardigan. I'm not typically in a position where I'm outdoors for several hours on end, so it rarely gets too hot as long as I remain reasonable with my layering.

Being in this situation, you come to grow tired of people expressing concern for your clothes' temperature appropriateness. I've become strangely familiar with some people lecturing me on how this cardigan that is so loose that it's almost translucent will be too warm during the hotter months, then paradoxically also complain that it will never keep me warm during the more mild months. If nothing else, I don't know why they're under the impression that I can't just remove it or change into something better if the weather becomes intolerable. It's not that difficult. I'm an adult, I can dress myself, thank you!!

Regardless of the weather, I’ll go with short sleeved shirts, but I’ll switch between long pants and shorts that go ~1/3 the way down my thigh depending on the weather, often with tights.

i'm more into longer shorts! t-shirts wise, i go for a short sleeve and then a long sleeve shirt over it. i wouldn't really wear a long sleeve t-shirt on its own though

I prefer long sleeves. I like to feel secure and I'm generally just more comfortable with more of my arm covered, though it gets HOT here in the midwest and I will certainly wear a t-shirt when the weather calls for it.

However, I also strongly prefer shorts (long shorts, as you mentioned in your poll--typically just above my knee) over pants. I have sensory issues and the feeling of wearing long pants when it is warm is intolerable to me. It feels like an alarm clock going off, all day, for hours, until I can finally change. When I was a child I refused to wear long pants even in the dead of winter, because the normal discomfort of cold air was nothing compared to the risk of feeling trapped by long pants in warm indoor environments.

I'm very grateful to work in a library, where long shorts are acceptable within the dress code. If the temps hit 60 degrees Fahrenheit or above, I'm in shorts. I even keep a spare pair of shorts in my desk so I can change if the building temperatures rise! It gives me the peace of mind I need in order to wear pants to work when it's cold out.

Obviously, I tend to be a fan of the portions of spring and fall where it's cool enough for long sleeves but warm enough for shorts. You'll never see me in long pants and a t-shirt, because for me, if it's t-shirt weather, it was already shorts weather ten degrees ago.

Back