• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

How do you feel about eating in front of people?

Do you like eating in front of people?

• I don't feel comfortable and I'd rather eat alone. I only do it when necessary. (I dislike it.)

Votes: 25 36.8%
  • It doesn't bother me and I don't have an issue either way. (Neutral/Indifferent option.)

Votes: 39 57.4%
  • I love eating at public restaurants surrounded by big groups. I need the company. (I like it.)

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other - Please explain this.

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters
It depends on who I'm with. Anybody I'm familiar and casual with is fine, but I'll get nervous if I'm with an acquaintance or with strangers that I see on a daily basis.

I don’t mind it, unless someone is intentionally staring straight at me while I’m eating. that would make it a little awkward, but other than that I’m fine with it. I’m more relaxed with it if it’s people I know though versus strangers. I would actually feel more uncomfortable eating out at a restaurant by myself than with other people. I can’t even go to the movies (or anywhere as a matter of fact) alone, I always need at least one person with me so I can feel comfortable.

I don't care at all really. I don't like very crowded places where I don't even have enough space for my arms but otherwise I don't mind. I like restaurants but I also like eating alone.

Unless people are actually staring, I don't pay others a whole lot of mind when it comes to eating out. I'm there for good food, I don't particularly care what other people think about that.

I feel uncomfortable eating out so this is what I do, I take my 3DS or my phone out so I have something to distract me because I get nervous being around other people I don’t know it just calms me down

I have autism

I want to say I don’t care at all… the truth is that I prefer eating with other people, the slight social aspect nixes my nausea. I don’t speak while I eat dinner or lunch or something (I have on voice calls, admittedly, in lieu of having physical gestures to pause the conversation), I mean just having people around me. In fact if it wasn’t unhygenic I might chew with my mouth open even though it’s percieved as rude LOL

Food ain’t go flying anywhere when I do that or something, but sometimes it’s more comfortable or necessary to chew certain food. I also heard that it’s how we’re supposed to chew in nature, but I don’t know how true that is…

i don't think i've ever felt bothered about eating in front of people so i would say i'm neutral. the only thing i really dislike is eating messy foods in front of people. food that requires me to use my hands like crabs or chicken wings. foods that are in general a bit messy to eat like maybe a big burger and things that tend to drip. otherwise, i enjoy eating with friends and family.

I'm neutral about it. It doesn't affect me physically or emotionally, I don't care much at all if people are around or if I'm alone. I'm also pretty laidback about other people eating around me. In fact, I kind of enjoy discreetly observing how others eat, how they chew, etc. The only thing that would genuinely bother me, though, is if someone doesn't follow the common courtesy rule of "Say it don't spray it" 😬

If I'm eating food that requires the use of my hands, such as boneless chicken wings, pizza or tacos, I just have to remember that it's not very good manners to lick one's fingers excessively in public lol because I tend to do that a lot. The more flavorful and saucy the food, the more I lick. When I'm at home I don't care, I lick to my heart's content, but when I'm out in a restaurant, I'm always careful. I never chew with my mouth open, and I always make sure to wipe my mouth and hands clean.

And then there's belching 😂 in public, if I must belch, I quietly do so against my elbow. At home, however, I'm competing for 1st place lol

If it's with people that I'm super close with and trust it's fine on occasions... but I mostly prefer eating alone or in a private space whenever possible. It's just so awkward hearing/seeing other people eat and weirds me out (maybe I'm a bit OCD about it). And then not to mention if you're eating something smelly or "weird" you'll probably get clocked for that too. There's just too many stressful factors involved, it's just much more comfortable to eat in my own space.

I don’t mind eating in front of people. I chew with my mouth closed, and have your standard good table manners. But MAN do I hate the pressure of people watching me cook. Just don’t do it. Unless you’re one of like, three people.

I love eating out. But I'm not really paying attention to anyone else honestly. The restaurant could be bustling or empty and my comfort level won't change. I'm comfortable eating alone but I'm much happier in a group because I've someone there to talk to about the food.

I'm not afraid to be the only person eating in a social setting. I'm hungry so I'm going to eat, damn it!

I feel neutral; it doesn’t bother me to be seen eating. I rather eat at home though because of my anxiety of leaving the house.

honestly, really depends on who the "people" are or the environment. i can eat in front of family, and at restaurants it's fine since, well, everyone's there to eat. but at work, for example, if someone else is in the breakroom close enough to see me eating, i keep my food in my bag lol. i feel too self-conscious.

It bothers me to eat in front of people. Like someone sitting across from me. A room of people doesn't bother me though.
I just don't like being stared at when I eat. It makes me think there is food on my face or something I don't know about haha.
Id rather just eat by myself.

i'm comfortable with eating food around my family or if i'm eating with them in a cafe or restaurant

however, if i'm having lunch or something with people i don't really know all that well or a new friend, the self-consciousness levels about how i eat increase substantially. ;_;

I love food as you guys know and my friends do too so for the most part I am fine with eating in front of people! When I do and people get bothered I just leave because some people have been so petty and got mad at me because "what I was eating was weird." I never hang-out with them ever again! Yes I know when its proper to eat and when its not! Its just kinda jarring when I am eating lunch and someone is like um what is that and im like its hong shao rou and they are like ew

Back